Billy Cobham

Great Billy Cobham interview! Suggestions for future ones:

Cindy Blackman
Teri-Lynn Carrington
Roy Haynes
Louis Hayes
Janet Weiss (Sleater Kinney, Quasi, Wild Flag)
DJ Bonebrake (X)
Jose Mendeles (Breeders, 1939 Ensemble, Revival Drum Shop)
Clem Burke (Blondie)

Wowzers, fired from Mahavishnu Orchestra! Me never know.

Great interview.

Billy didn't elaborate on that ,but from the interviews I read with BC,he wanted to write some of the bands songs so he could get writing credits too.(that's how you make the money)

John McLaughlin and he butted heads over that ,and JM fired him.
Jean Luc Ponty told JM to shove it over writing credits too.

Anybody else notice the MO changed personnel drastically over the first 3 albums?

JM was being a bit of an eh hole.

Billy didn't elaborate on that ,but from the interviews I read with BC,he wanted to write some of the bands songs so he could get writing credits too.(that's how you make the money)

John McLaughlin and he butted heads over that ,and JM fired him.
Jean Luc Ponty told JM to shove it over writing credits too.

Anybody else notice the MO changed personnel drastically over the first 3 albums?

JM was being a bit of an eh hole.

Sad when its instrumental music, might as well let everyone share, since there's dick money (comparatively to vox) anyway.

Hey Geezer,

We've already interviewed a few folks in your list for upcoming episodes, and we're working on the others. Spoken to Roy H. On the phone and hoping he'll go ahead with it. He is definitely on the top of our list, too!

Joe

Hey Geezer,

We've already interviewed a few folks in your list for upcoming episodes, and we're working on the others. Spoken to Roy H. On the phone and hoping he'll go ahead with it. He is definitely on the top of our list, too!

Joe

Great stuff - looking forward to hearing those! Thanks for all the work you do!

Thanks, everyone! And if you want to hear a bonus snippet where Billy talks about his musical influences, check out this video on our YouTube page:

WATCH

Terrific interview. You asked really good questions and it made for a much more interesting conversation. Well done!

Back