Buying/Tuning a Concert Snare Drum

Are there any particular things I should look out for when buying one? Sadly, due to their rarity here in the UK, it's unlikely I will find many in shops to actually try first, so may have to take some of it on trust and hope for the best.

I'd say look at two criteria: one, the shell material, and two, the cable/strainer setup.

For the shell, you have an initial decision of metal or wood. I'm partial to wood snares, and that's the majority of what I work with, but that's just my preference. In either case, there are a variety of metals or wood species that can shape the tonal character of the drum. Most mass-production wood shells tend to be maple ply, but boutique companies can open the doors to numerous species and solid woods, and lots of choices in terms of warmth, attack, and fundamental frequencies.

There's also the question of depth, and there's no one answer there, either, but there are choices to be made. A "standard" might be 5", but I've built concert drums in depths ranging from 4" to 8". Again, it's a question of what character you want for the drum -- for example, dry and crisp vs. rich and projecting.

The other criterion is the mechanism for the cable/wire system. I'd suggest something that handles three types of cables/wires, with individual tension adjustments for each of the three as well as a main tension adjustment for all three at once. Also, of course, a smooth and silent throw-off to take them all out of contact with the head.

The concert snares seem over priced IMO, and are primarily to imitate other drums in a small space. IE you already have a marching snare, and a set snare, why do you need a special throw off for a march?

I think its neat and all but you can get a couple snares for the price of concert snare. Though arguably it probably is a fairly small market.

Back