Going from e-kit back to a-kit advice.

tablatom

HI there,
i have a RolandTDW20 e-kit, and i play in a professional level function band.

I am thinking of simplifying my on stage life and going with a small 3 or 4 piece acoustic kit.

I'd love some advice on a kit that is good for most styles of function-band music.
Music that ranges from the 1940's to the present.

I am happy to buy a second hand kit and put quality heads on it and get some good quality cymbals.

I'd also be up for getting a mic for the kick when we play the larger rooms.

Any suggestions are greatly welcome.

Cheers Tom.

Do you have any brand preferences? Budget? It's kind of a broad question.
Yes, broad indeed.
Well, i live in the UK. If i bought second hand, maybe up to £800.00?
How the kit looks doesn't really bother me, bashed up shell if they sound good with quality heads will do.
Cymbals,
http://www.wembleydrumcentre.com/Ca...niversal-Box-Set-141620-14-China-PST5BS314CHI
???

I haven't owed an acoustic set for 22 years, so i am really come back to it out of the loop.

Brand preferences, again, i don't mind at all, but i'd love a kit that has the ability to change its tonal qualities with quiet and loud playing.
But also a kit that will have a tone that will have a happy tone that will sit ok with many styles.

Check your local for sale ads. For 800 you should be able to find a good used shell pack of various brands.

I have a Gretsch Renown that I like a lot. You might be able to find one of those used around that price.

Of course it would be ideal for you to go out and try some kits to figure out what you like.

Check your local for sale ads. For 800 you should be able to find a good used shell pack of various brands.

I have a Gretsch Renown that I like a lot. You might be able to find one of those used around that price.

Of course it would be ideal for you to go out and try some kits to figure out what you like.

Cheers, the Gretch looks really nice, and has some good reviews.

Just seen this on-line,

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/ludwig-breakbeats-by-questlove-4-piece-shell-pack

also looks like a good place to start.

Haha. Well it's a good recommendation anyway.

Tablatom: The Ludwig Breakbeat has a small 16" bass drum so keep that in mind. Nice little kit for the price though.
Tee Hee, You are all gonna love this one :)

To the OP; (Picture a Baptist preacher in your mind while you all read this please)

Go to a shop that sells drums; Go to several shops that sell drums; Try many drums; When you feel that you have tried drums that you like and you can afford them; (Wow, that was a lot to say in one sentence)
Buy the damn drums!!!
Play the drums!!!
Be the drums!!!
Love the drums!!!
Put new heads on the drums!!!
Tune the drums!!!
Buy more drums!!! (You all see where I am going here?)
Rinse and Repeat!
It never ends.
You will spend your entire life buying and selling drums and cymbals.
Do I have an Amen?

AMEN!

Back to OP, practically any drum will cover your needs with new heads, though better drums will stay in tune better, anything in the intermediate to semi-pro level will hold up to gigging. Different brands have different character but all will be able to fill any role required. Same thing with drum sizes within reason, so drum size is more of a your preference within genre limits. Cymbals on the other hand need to be high end, can't tune em. Don't get pst 5s if you are gigging, get some 2002s or A's or any pro cymbal you like, get them used and you can save a ton, just look for cracks or abuse.

Tee Hee, You are all gonna love this one :)

To the OP; (Picture a Baptist preacher in your mind while you all read this please)

Go to a shop that sells drums; Go to several shops that sell drums; Try many drums; When you feel that you have tried drums that you like and you can afford them; (Wow, that was a lot to say in one sentence)
Buy the damn drums!!!
Play the drums!!!
Be the drums!!!
Love the drums!!!
Put new heads on the drums!!!
Tune the drums!!!
Buy more drums!!! (You all see where I am going here?)
Rinse and Repeat!
It never ends.
You will spend your entire life buying and selling drums and cymbals.
Do I have an Amen?

Mr preacher man, I HEAR YA.

I is gonna take your bread and wine and make my way along the long path to the promised land and our Lord will speakith, "this is the ONE", "no go forth and spread my word in time and harmony, and strike those drums with GREAT VENGEANCE!!" .

AMEN!

Back to OP, practically any drum will cover your needs with new heads, though better drums will stay in tune better, anything in the intermediate to semi-pro level will hold up to gigging. Different brands have different character but all will be able to fill any role required. Same thing with drum sizes within reason, so drum size is more of a your preference within genre limits. Cymbals on the other hand need to be high end, can't tune em. Don't get pst 5s if you are gigging, get some 2002s or A's or any pro cymbal you like, get them used and you can save a ton, just look for cracks or abuse.

Thanks Andy,

The last A-kit i had 23 years ago i used 2002's, i liked them a lot then.

Time to go and play some.

Its just a little daunting after playing the TD20 for years where i had different kits that would match 50's rock 'n roll, funk, metal etc to then go back to 1 kit.

I'm starting to remember the huge amount of flavours its possible to extract out of a-kit drums and cymbals, and also using different types of sticks.

Cheers Tom.

Back