The Big Kits vs. Small Kits Debate

Re: Big kits vs small kits

Looks like the US isn't the only country with the spelling and grammar epidemic...

I'm positive there's been a thread or two exactly like this. Personally, I think big kits are fun to play on, but when it comes down to it, I'd rather play my 5 piece with 4 cymbals.

I wanna know what people prefer me personaly i like big kits more to choose from and it gets people intrested when i play live they see the big kit and wonder over and they watch the whole set but on the other hand while im at home i set my kit up with only one kick drum one rack tom and two floor toms the reson being if i get a surtain amount of skill on a small size kit i will be twice as good on the bigger size kit....... as a pose to when i play live i have mtwo kicks three rack toms and two floor toms more toms = bigger rolls..... so what do u all think .......

man, dots aren't hard to use...

i don't like big kits. there are many problems with setting them up and i just don't need five toms - for my style of playing one rack and one floor tom is more than enough.

Oh God...

Here we go...AGAIN!! :-(

Guys...this has been discussed(debated) already in another thread since dirt was discovered.

This horse has expired...

Next?

I've already said it in another topic regarding this... but my opinion is that you should decide whether you need the extra possibilities that come with extra gear, and whether it's worth the price (drum gear is, as most of us have already experienced, quite expensive).

Personally I like the esthetics and possibilities of a big (6 piece with a good bunch of cymbals) kit with a single bass drum. So I have one. Mine's about to become an 8-piece with the two octobans I made...

Sometimes big kits just look more impressive. I've played on kits ranging from 6 piece (bass drum, 4 toms, 1 snare) with 5-6 cymbals down to a 3 piece (bass, 1 tom, 1 snare) and a hihat. Depending on what type of music your playing, you might just need a small 3 piece, I've seen impressive drummers play on small sets and I've seen impressive drummers play on huge sets.... I've also seen really really really really bad drummers on either as well. Personally it depends on what I'm doing, and if I feel like carrying all that gear.

I think you will find that the big kits are somewhat larger, while the smaller kits aren't quite as large.

Well my thoughts change depending on the circumstances.

When playing in my punk band a use a four piece with 2 crashes, hats, ride and china. I like this for the accessability I need for fast music.

However when playing metal I use a 6 piece with the cymbals mentioned above plus two splashes and a zil bell.

Overall I prefer small drum kits with lots of cymbals; I'm just a cymbals kinda guy :D

I think you will find that the big kits are somewhat larger, while the smaller kits aren't quite as large.

Stop the press! It's a revolution, the likes of which have never been seen by man before!

Great quote GD.

Re: THE BIG KITS VS SMALL KITS DEBATE

Tuesday we (my band) were in a studio recording a demo. I used my two piece kit. Last night, we played a gig. After the second set, a cat walked up to me, introduced himself as a drummer, and said "that's a pretty bold statement there, you just playin' a two piece kit". I thanked him, not knowing exactly where to take the conversation, and then he added, "you work it pretty damn well." I thanked him again and shook his hand. We chatted just briefly and then he went back to his girlfriend. Probably one of the coolest compliments I've ever recieved.

Re: THE BIG KITS VS SMALL KITS DEBATE

Tuesday we (my band) were in a studio recording a demo. I used my two piece kit. Last night, we played a gig. After the second set, a cat walked up to me, introduced himself as a drummer, and said "that's a pretty bold statement there, you just playin' a two piece kit". I thanked him, not knowing exactly where to take the conversation, and then he added, "you work it pretty damn well." I thanked him again and shook his hand. We chatted just briefly and then he went back to his girlfriend. Probably one of the coolest compliments I've ever recieved.

...........Two piece, played well IS pretty cool. Check out Dave DiCenso here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKG8yXWb6nY

I think it depends somewhat on the style of music and the drummers playing style. I'm into prog and ska and I'm on a 5 piece with 5 cymbles

My vote is for small kits but big drums. As for cymbals, the only issue is stands and positioning. Also other stuff needs to be on there, cowbells, woodblocks, jingly things and such. I have a six-piece kit now and the thing I don't like about it is that it's very complicated. I've only gigged with 2 toms at a time because it's such a pain carrying them around and setting up the little stand for them and finding room. Also it crowds out everything else. The more toms, the less room for cymbals. I'm thinking about buying something like this as a alternative simple one.
d_2823.jpg

I recently went from a 5 pc. to a 4 pc. and I love it! The only cymbals I have is 1 crash and 1 ride. I play Rock.

Thats it! but it makes you be more creative and opens up some avenues for playing. I find that big kits make me want to be overly loud and play faster than I should.

i played a four piece until recently when i started getting into music that required new sounds.

now i play a 6 piece
hats
ride
2 crashes
1 left-side crash ride
splash
mini china
and reg. china
and some latin perc.

I'm a pretty n00b drummer, but I ended up with a seven-piece kit. However, I have disciplined myself to approach most fills as if I were playing a four-piece, ie, the fills are usually snare-tom-floor-kick combos. I wanted to avoid falling into a four-hit-per-tom descending roll rut.

Re: Small kit

As im playing (on a 5 piece kit), I realise, that I dont even like crash cymbal, I dont like tom fills.. I like to work between my left hand and right foot.. Then add some hi-hat splashing or talking.. And then change something with my left hand.. Thats why Im all about small kit.. And thats why everyone shouldnt be afraid to experiment.. Let your self out, do what you want to feel pleasure and invent something new and interesting..

Re: Small kit

While there is some novelty in the idea of using as few voices in your playing as possible, to me, the novelty would wear off eventually. I've played on my drum teacher's kit when it has been half setup w/ only a kick, snare, and hats...and it was fun...but the lack of textures would bore me quickly.

In my mind, toms aren't just for tom fills. They're every bit a part of the groove as anything else and can be played as such. In the end, however, it's all just personal preference.

I play 2 toms up, 2 toms down, w/ a single kick, single snare, ride, and 2 crashes. I don't use all of it all of the time but I incorporate difference voices and combinations for different songs...and the possibilities are literally endless. The smallest I could ever see myself playing is a traditional 4pc - which is a lot of fun.

I have played 7 piece 6piece and 5piece and I liked the 6piece best. So now I may try a 4piece only because of money but I can't decide what configuration to go with please give me some ideas on 4piece setups. I mean it seems so limiting so please help.

Back