Derrick Pope: Moeller - One Handed Roll - Heel Toe - DrumSet

yea you did a great job explaining that, im still having a little trouble connecting them non stop in fact, i think im gonna go practice right now, and ill remember - REBOUND :D

i second every good ting previously posted. your a natural teacher thanks for posting this

I don't want to start a new thread only for this question. I'm going to learn the moeller technique better now. I know that it is many ways to learn the moeller. But I want a sort of a overview. The way Derrick learns is one whip with to rebounds. Is that the same method that Jim Chapin learns? Because when I looked at one Tony Royster video here at drummerworld he described the moeller. And it didn't seemed that he did rebounds at all. Which one of those methods are most used? Which one is the easiest? Which one do you use? I'm just curious, because I want to do a some research before I decide which one I want to learn.

- Raymond

djp132 said:
Thanks for the compliments Rick, I've enjoyed your Drummer Essentials series as well!

Much appreciated Fanagel. Thank you for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers, that means a lot to me.

You are a wizard at breaking down techniques once kept secrete by only a few(and unwilling to share), now we can all have the opportunity to learn it from you. Keep dispelling all those myths and techniques from those elite drummers.
Viva Derrick, our new drum Robin Hood,
I have to go push the button now, it's been 119 minutes....

Just viewed the vids - man, what a great job. I have seen lots and lots and lots of so called explainings of the Moeller/one handed roll, and I must say that these vids completely was a huge benefit for my playing.

You are a gifted drum teacher, and really do understand what it means to "tear it all down to the very basic" and I would love to see a DVD in the future - the answers speaks for them selves regarding topics to be covered.

It's thumbs up to you, that so many of us "get it", when so many pros can't "teach" it properly on a DVD about technique in 1 ½ hour!!

I think it's OK to debate whether the technique is Moeller or not (which in some wired way that my wife doesn't understand, is very interesting reading!), but I got the "Pope" almost immediately right away, where other's explaning has failed.
It's not about the RIGHT way, but A way to learn a method on "how to get the most out of your sticks".

Thanks a lot, Derrick - your vids have been a true contributing to the drummer's world (and Drummer World).

Hope your are going to be all right.

Sincerely,
Baarts, Denmark

those are so helpful. But I noticed that foot pedals are too small for the heel/toe and I have to take out that toe stopper if I'm wearing shoes. I only wear a size 8 but im 13. Even if I take out the toe stopper it still doesnt work. Anyways, It works great when I have no shoes on like you had in the video.. but do you do that during live performances? Also I really like that practice pad is t hat a pro-mark x pad?

darkcherryfade said:
I'm also very thankful for these videos and I give both Derrick and Tim Waterson props for being cool enough to share such great technique explanations with us without the slightest hint of selfishness involved.

Thanks bro, I appreciate the compliments (and I'm sure Tim does as well). I just watched your new push pull vid, killer stuff. You got that technique down to a T. Good job.

Derrick

Hey Derrick. I saw your solo on that "applying the methods to the drumset video", and I think you're great.

I'm just curious, do you know anything about the JoJo Mayer style break beat grooves? He says he uses Moeller technique, but the strokes he uses within his break beats in his left hand are in fours. If you knew anything about this, it'd be cool if you could make a video for it, or even shed some insight on it in just a posted explanation, because I am clueless on as how to play break beats, even with just the structure of them, and I'd really like to learn how, then I could make some Nerve backing tracks and play along with them!

Oh! BTW, why don't you plug your V-drums into your computer's sound card instead of recording them? The sound quality will be way better. If you don't have a 1/8th inch input on your sound card (PCI?) just get a 1/8 to 1/16 adapter that fits on any standard guitar/misc cable, you can get them at radio shack cheap. Or was there some reason you used a mic? The only reason I'm saying this is because the sound quality on that video was kinda bad, and I don't see any reason why you didn't just plug it in! Or was there another reason for using the mic?

Hi Derrick! I'm a 14 year old boy from Norway, I just want to say something you'vw heard a thousand times before, your videos are awesome! I was hust wondering if you could post a video of how to twirl a stick because I don't know anybody that are able to that. I have searched the internet for people twirling a stick in slowmotion, but without success. Maybe you'll think that this is a completely irrelevant question to drumming, and I understand if you do. But I know that there are drummers all around the world that would appreciate if you could make such a video. I also know that since it's you that would be going to demonstrate different kind of twirls everybody would get the idea of how to do it. Because you are explaining things with such great depth and you are expressing yourself so amazing that any person would be able to learn what you are teaching. I'm sorry if my English is bad. If you have time (which I do understand if you don't have) you could mail me an answer at [email protected]. Thanks for your help!

Felix

Hi Derrick! I'm a 14 year old boy from Norway, I just want to say something you've heard a thousand times before, your videos are awesome! I was just wondering if you could post a video of how to twirl a stick because I don't know anybody that are able to that properly. I have searched the internet for people twirling a stick in slowmotion, but without success. Maybe you'll think that this is a completely irrelevant question to drumming, and I understand if you do. But I know that there are several drummers all around the world that would appreciate if you could make such a video. I also know that since it's you that would be going to demonstrate different kind of twirls, everybody would get the idea of how to do it. Because you are explaining things with such great depth and you are expressing yourself so amazing that any person would be able to learn what you are teaching. I'm sorry if my English is bad. If you have time (which I do understand if you don't have) you could mail me an answer at [email protected]. Thanks for your help!

Felix

Perfect! I mean your videos. I think you are better teacher than lot of guys on drummerworld! Just keep on making movies, I am looking forward to new one!

perfect videos there! you are better teacher than lot of guys on drummerworld... I am looking forward to the next movie!

Hi Derrick,

Hope you are feeling better..
great vids! you certainly have a great way of explaining things.

I do have a question though, with the heel toe, are you doing R heel, L heel, R toe, L toe, or R heel, R toe, L heel, L toe?

I also got confused with the jump from moeller, to triplets with moeller, but i'll work on the basics first anyway heheh..

great work, i also look forward to your next vid =)

Gethin said:
Hi Derrick,

Hope you are feeling better..
great vids! you certainly have a great way of explaining things.

I do have a question though, with the heel toe, are you doing R heel, L heel, R toe, L toe, or R heel, R toe, L heel, L toe?

I also got confused with the jump from moeller, to triplets with moeller, but i'll work on the basics first anyway heheh..

great work, i also look forward to your next vid =)

Thanks for the kind words!

When I do the heel toe I use double strokes ie R heel R toe L heel L toe. But theres nothing wrong with doing it the other way too. Practice both and find the way that works best for you and your playing.

With the moeller, take it slow and don't get frustrated. Pretty soon your hands will click and the motions will happen. You can do it!

Thanks again
Derrick

What's always mystified me was what sticking pattern drummers of the more jazz soul end use to play fast fills and solos. Singles doubles what? You can't easily see unless you are two feet away. I was watching Martin Drew the other night from near the stage, from example, and could not figger it.

Having experimented following listening to Derrick's really excellent video a few weeks ago I suggest the following as a common practical use for Moeller. Maybe I'm the only person in the world not to have worked this out so if so please forgive my stupidity.

Say you want to play a passage on the snare with a mixture of 16ths followed by 16th triplets. Da da da da diddly diddly diddly crash sort of thing. Then you can play the 16ths hand to hand LR LR but when you want to move to the triplets your hands now move at HALF THE SPEED playing downward eighths LR LR with three beats produced from each downward movement by Moeller thus getting 16th triplets. Thus the faster notes require less effort than the slower ones! Your hands are moving at half the speed. It's very satisfying that it gets easier when you go faster. As Derrick says, the top players seem to get more relaxed the faster they go.

This also gives, it seems to me, the right sort of feel for jazzy souly pieces.

Mike Newland said:
What's always mystified me was what sticking pattern drummers of the more jazz soul end use to play fast fills and solos. Singles doubles what? You can't easily see unless you are two feet away. I was watching Martin Drew the other night from near the stage, from example, and could not figger it.

Having experimented following listening to Derrick's really excellent video a few weeks ago I suggest the following as a common practical use for Moeller. Maybe I'm the only person in the world not to have worked this out so if so please forgive my stupidity.

Say you want to play a passage on the snare with a mixture of 16ths followed by 16th triplets. Da da da da diddly diddly diddly crash sort of thing. Then you can play the 16ths hand to hand LR LR but when you want to move to the triplets your hands now move at HALF THE SPEED playing downward eighths LR LR with three beats produced from each downward movement by Moeller thus getting 16th triplets. Thus the faster notes require less effort than the slower ones! Your hands are moving at half the speed. It's very satisfying that it gets easier when you go faster. As Derrick says, the top players seem to get more relaxed the faster they go.

This also gives, it seems to me, the right sort of feel for jazzy souly pieces.

Great example Mike! That is EXACTLY what the Moeller was designed to do. More speed, less effort.

Back