Pearl Icon straight rack - proper hardware bag to protect it for transporting?

deadwing_007

I've just upgraded to a reference pure kit with no bass drum mount, and I already have a lot of cymbals in my setup, so I am picking up the icon rack. Anybody have experience with frequently transporting their rack?

Mine will be in a large van full of all of the gear for a 5 piece band and I want to make sure the rack is as protected as possible. Not sure what the best options are going to be as far as what the size of it will end up being when it is collapsed. I was thinking of getting a dedicated hardware bag for the rack itself with all of the clamps staying on it, and all tom and boom arms, snare and hi hat stands will stay in my current hardware bag.

I used an inexpensive mic stand bag to carry my Pearl Icon rack. It was slightly padded and was just the right size to fit the horizontal bars and the vertical pipes as well.

Actually, I don't even break down my icon rack at the end of the night. It fits in my car totally intact. I just take the side wings off. I'm a lazy man, I guess. Sorry, apparently this post doesn't help at all....:)

Actually, I don't even break down my icon rack at the end of the night. It fits in my car totally intact. I just take the side wings off. I'm a lazy man, I guess. Sorry, apparently this post doesn't help at all....:)
I'm lazy with mine too. I leave all the tom arms & cymbal booms in place. Just take off the legs & throw it in the truck. It's my gigging rack, & is treated accordingly.

I'm lazy with mine too. I leave all the tom arms & cymbal booms in place. Just take off the legs & throw it in the truck. It's my gigging rack, & is treated accordingly.

I do the same. but dont even take the legs off. I just fold the rack together and throw it in the band van standing up. It makes for a quick set up when I take it out. The icon is great for gigging. I have a yamaha hex rack at home that I take better care of.

For now I've added a second hardware bag for the rack. I play in an original band with 2 guitars, bass, and keys (full 88 key keyboard too.) 2 Marshall cabs and a bass cab don't leave room in our van to leave the rack assembled at all haha.

I picked up a used roto-molded plastic case with wheels, similar to this one ( http://www.customcases.com/ecom/product/382/836/Pop_Podium_Exhibit_Case_PP4015.html ) from a Craigslist ad for the princely sum of $20. It was apparently intended to hold a pop-up truss for a tradeshow booth, but it holds the 34" main tube of my Gibraltar rack, the legs and wings, tom holders, and cymbal arms perfectly. The polyurethane construction slides in and out of truck beds very nicely. This seems to protect things better than my bag did, and still doesn't weigh a ton.

4ecd11580bedb80e0c357bb99a3801d5.jpg

I'll eventually replace the wimpy rollers you see there with some more industrial-strength casters on a reinforcing plate. But for the moment: "cheap" is a property that excuses many faults... (;-) Sometimes the wrong tool for the job can still be the right tool for the job!

Last edited:
Strangely, so do I :)

Love the hex rack! Great lines and doesn't take away from the aesthetics of the beautiful drum set.

The Icon is a workhorse but the square rack sometimes contrasts with the curves of the drums.

Back