Chattanooga woman takes up drums at age 92

I LOVE it! Great story and she seems like a real hoot! And I'm thinking if she's 95 then even though I'm just starting at 45, maybe I have 50 years of drumming left in me :) What an inspiration! Thanks for posting and I'm stealing for my FB page if you don't mind.

Glad you guys appreciate the story. It cuts right through the things that can divide us as drummers (gear, technique, style, etc.) and reminds us that music is bigger than those things. This lady reminds us that drumming is awesome, and that's something we can all agree on.

Well,she's got the bass drum part of a second line New Orleans beat down.Very cool,go for it!!!!! :)

Steve B

Now I’m wondering ? why others saw the titled story and we saw the zoo thing ?
This thread's first 7 posts are from 2012. The site's URL ends with " /moment ", so they probably change the content of that page often, and don't intend for any of it to remain there long-term.

I wonder if she's still going at 100...? I hope so. :)

Last edited:
This thread is from 2012. The site's URL ends with " /moment ", so they probably change the content of that page often, and don't intend for any of it to remain there long-term.

I wonder if she's still going at 100...? I hope so. :)

??

Dohhh ! ?. I never looked at the date of Op thread. Just the title . All the responses were current , so I assumed lol . I’m usually better about that .

That's awesome
Quick story , I was walking past the music room at a local College long ago and noticed an elderly woman learning to play the piano , I thought to myself if she can do it so can I, it was her motivation that inspired me to start playing the drums

In all the years I've taught drum lessons off & on, the best student I've had was a 60 yr. old retired doctor. Right after retiring, he hung around the house, fidgeting, mildly annoying his wife (according to them both, haha), until she said "you've gotta get a hobby." He'd always wanted to play drums. He'd never played an instrument of any sort previously. He bought a cheap kit, set it up in the detached garage, signed up for lessons, and took to it very well. Within a year, he'd put a combo together and was playing mellow, light jazz in restaurants. He wasn't exactly ripping yet- the material they were playing didn't call for it- but he was holding it down. He was able to play basic patterns (basic swing, bossa nova, etc.) and improv a little in his comping. He continued to take lessons for a while after he was playing out. I moved and lost track of him. This was 20+ years ago; I wonder if he's still able to play...?

I met pianist Dave Brubeck and his then band in 1998 (I think) when he played at East Carolina University while I was working at Wright Auditorium on campus. He looked every bit of his 78 years, except his hands looked 30 years younger.

Last edited:
So now it's been 8 years and she's 100 I bet she is pretty good by now?? Any videos of her playing ? Wait zoo? what am I missing-is she playing at a zoo now? Music does soothe the savage beast. I bet the drums drive the elephants crazy since they can hear infrasound? I bet when she plays the George of the Jungle theme song the place goes wild. If you can't produce a video of a 100 yrs old lady playing George of the Jungle I call "Bullcrap" this thread is bogus!

Back