Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Superb. Amazing how some of the audience lacked the ability to shut the feck up tho eh?

:)

[*I dare not say anything except it was a cool solo, as expected. Sssshh mode continued.*]

I got it. That guys is a phenomenal player. But it was frustrating to still hear people in the background. I hate audiences like that.

It's official, drum solos bore me.

the first half sounded like something from a drum corp drumline. i think i have to agree with Larry, at least on this one...

Having spent 5 years playing with a quiet band I can say that if you play quietly enough for people to talk, they will. Mind you, talking through my old crew's sets and talking through a Simon Phillips performance are a tad different ...

I like drum solos!
But they need to be short. An 8 minute solo is too long. Just like an 8 minute guitar solo is too long.
A solo for one or two verses is good.

I like drum solos!
But they need to be short. An 8 minute solo is too long. Just like an 8 minute guitar solo is too long.
A solo for one or two verses is good.

Yep, I'm with Jim on this one. If you're boring me - a fellow drummer - imagine how the audience must feel. If nothing else, vamp over the music.

GeeDeeEmm

The thing that impressed me the most was the fact that at his age he can still squat down like that and stand back up. I'm younger than him and I haven't been able to do that for years.

Great drummer - but breaks my showmanship rule.. all you can see is the top of his head.. which makes it really boring from an audience perspective. Also too many quad rolls. It was probably a drum workshop.. so at least the audience didn't all head for the bar..

Simon is my favorite drummer. Love just about everything he does. This particular solo though, short of the intro, didn't do much for me. Much prefer other solos, including duet solos like this one with, well, another one of my faves (find all of the sections/parts): http://youtu.be/Y6YooxOTsus

My intro to Simon was seeing him with The Who. I spent hours and hours learning to play the live version of Tommy. To this day the Simon Phillips version of the Overture is one of my favorite things to play.

I'm with you. There is musical, beautiful soloing, and there is this kind.

Technically excellent, of course. But musical and entertaining? Not here.

Personally I felt the drum solo was highly original with lots of dynamics. I had no issue with the length of the solo and would gladly sit through another 20 minutes of a master like Simon exploring sound.

I agree that many solos are quite boring but this one kept me on the edge of my seat. Thanks for sharing.

Back