So how many different snares do you use on a gig?

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
I only use one, and in the bands I'm in now, I keep it at one tuning. A former band I was in, there were only 2 songs that I re-tuned for. Since I left that band, now it's one sound all night, tuned to what I like to call the "gunshot" tuning. I don't feel I'm lacking anything.

So how many of you bring multiple snares for a gig? Or do you re-tune your snare for certain songs?

I usually use just one snare. Either my 14xs6.5 brass or 14x6 bronze.

When we are doing our low volume country funky set, I swap out the metal snare(s) for a 13x7 maple for a warm deep woody sound. The songs don't work as well with a ringy snare.

So, I always have a back up which is either another metal snare or the wood snare, as a back up, and also for the songs that require it.

I almost always keep the same tuning, unless I get some feedback from FOH as to what might sound better and then I tune accordingly.

Yea, just one. I like my stupid cheapo steel snare. The only time I change tuning, if you want to call it that is maybe de-tuning one lug to go fatter for a song or something.

Just one - but always with a spare handy...

interestingly enough, I've broken a handful of snare heads (even snare side blow-outs) early on -- ever since I've started bringing a spare, no broken heads... but I know it'll happen as soon as don't bring a spare!

i only use one, i have never broken a snare head and dont feel the need to have different sounding snares.... I like to use my DW with the 3 butt plate, that way i can switch to a lose sounds or a tight sound with just one flick.

I only use one snare and bring a back-up. I don't change the tuning but may change the dampening or my touch for a different sound when needed.

One with a Backup...........usually my 14 x 6.5 Black Beauty with my 14 x 5 Supra just in case

I only use one snare and bring a back-up. I don't change the tuning but may change the dampening or my touch for a different sound when needed.

Only tend to vary between three, depending on if I have some studio work lined up close to the gig, or which band out of the three I currently play with.

If I dont have any studio work lined up it's my first ever Snare. My trusty 14x6.5 Pearl Steel Snare. Was out of action for a good number of years but it's recently been restored and cleaned up and can't stop using it as I grew up with the sound. I've been asked a number of times if it's a Ludwig 402 from fellow drummers.

Recently have been using my 1968 14x 5 Supra 400 for a rock gig, but I try not to take that away much as it's a vintage.

If it's an outdoor festival or large gig it's my 14x 6.5 Black Beauty, but I dont really like taking that snare to a venue in London unless I know the backline room is locked away.

I only own two. I use one and have the other handy for a backup. I don't retune except to check for detuning lugs between sets.

I don't re-tune between, or for certain songs, but I will play on different parts of the head in some songs (or sections of songs), for different sound characters.

I bring my 2 Brass 6.5 BB's to shows (my gear is always secure). They have the same heads and wires, but still sound a little different from each other.

I use which ever one catches my ear at the venue, and have the other one behind me as back up (I bring 2 pedals as well).

With one of my bands, I use the COB 6.5 Brass Edition with Tube lugs. It sounds a little different than the BB, and mainly, it just has a vibe I like for that band. AND it looks real cool with the Black Glitter Glass finish of the kit :)

Depends on the job... Live -usually two, plus one spare.
In the studio I bring what's needed and predetermined -by other band members, producer, etc. Typically I'll have at least 2 to 3.
Gotta say, as I'm getting older, I'm really trying to bring less and less... at least lighter stuff!! For instance, I have a snare built by Jeff Ochletree (Dangerous snare) made out of solid steel that weighs a LOT -it's the best snare I have for that 'gun-shot' rim-shot when playing a hi-energy hi-volume sound. But man, I hate moving it...
FYI, was at Ocean Way in Nashville earlier in the year and ran into Shannon Forrest -he was showing me some of his Brady snares, which he carries in this large custom built road case (it holds at least 5 or 6 snares) -about the size of a casket. Of course he had a crew to move his stuff -altho I do believe he still moves his own sticks...

I live on the edge. I only bring one to each gig. I do bring a full set of heads just in case. In 30 years of gigging I've haven't yet so much as even broken a head on a gig that I can recall. That being said, I'm sure I've just jinxed myself and better bring an entire spare drum set for my next gig.

up until recently (last few months), it has always been 1 snare. but like many here, something extremely versatile or just great sounding. my go-to lately is a 13 x 7 nickle plated brass (BB clone). HOWEVER, i have been completely turned around the side-snare concept after using a 10" side snare. it started when my 10 piece Horn band started covering Timberlake's "Suit and Tie". i had to have it to emulate the snare in the rap section. sounds great & a lot of fun to go 1/2 time at 102 bpm. sick drumming by the main guy (dont remember his name), BTW...16ths w/ RH at 102, real solid & loud.

now i have got to have it. i feel like a mental switch has taken place. like another creative outlet for my left hand i never explored that my brain loves. playing w/ Steve Smith triplet ostinato concepts, latin stuff, break-beats, you name it. so, if you can try one...DO IT.

I always take two but use one. I travel with a back-up on most equipment.

Dennis

I live on the edge. I only bring one to each gig. I do bring a full set of heads just in case. In 30 years of gigging I've haven't yet so much as even broken a head on a gig that I can recall. That being said, I'm sure I've just jinxed myself and better bring an entire spare drum set for my next gig.

So David you play a DW edge snare? (just kidding, you live on the edge)

Lol as soon as I read the "I haven't yet so much as even broken a head....: I was thinking major jinx too.

Seems the majority uses just one.

Jonathan, you have a Ocheltree? That's a coveted snare. Shannon moves his own sticks. Yuk yuk.

Four. My primary is a 6.5"x14" Ludwig Supraphonic hammered bronze with die cast hoops, Evans Power Center coated, Puresound Blaster wires. Number 2 is the Tama Silverstar snare that came with my kit. AMAZING drum! 5"x14" with an Evans EC reversed dot, etched. Number 3 is a 1966 Ludwig Club Date 5.5"x14" wood drum (maple/poplar/maple) with Slingerland rims, Evans Power Center coated, champagne sparkle (or whatever gold sparkle was called). I also have a Sonor 10" Black Mamba steel snare with a G2 coated. It really boils down to the band and the room I'm playing in.

Yea, just one. I like my stupid cheapo steel snare. The only time I change tuning, if you want to call it that is maybe de-tuning one lug to go fatter for a song or something.

If the question was reversed, which human plays you during gigs, your steel snare would probably say, "yea the stupid cheapo human with the long hair likes to play me". Constant source of entertainment. The snare Wtso, not you.

I wonder what your snare might say, Lar...

"Dear god, please not another shuffle!"

Back