So, the year is coming to an end, progress report...

So, what can you do now that you couldn't do a year before? I am referring to drumming, but hey whatever comes to mind is all good. Progress is progress, personally or musically. You did progress some, right?

I am getting better at subdividing and am getting better at playing to a click. I really like it because it's like playing with another person in a way. Also I think my musical maturity is growing with each passing year. Attitude changes would reflect in your playing, so personal growth should mean musical maturity growth I would think. My drum solos are slowly improving. Emphasis on slowly. Ain't much, but slow and steady wins the race.

One thing that did occur to me this year...With all the thinking I do about the posts I write, that definitely has had a positive impact on my playing. Just thinking about drums and drumming shapes attitudes, which come out on the kit. They say thinking about shooting hoops is almost as good as actually shooting hoops, so time spent here is not wasted IMO.

For the first time, I heard a place in the song, based on the guitarist and I didn't need to "think" about the time, tempo and not moving up or down. It just stayed. It was a bit of an out of body experience. That actually happened a few weeks ago. May seem small on the surface, like I tied my shoes or remember to zip my trousers but for me, it was epoch. It was like somebody pulled a potato out of my ears and I could hear.

Wow ,now that's a great post, way to go man. You know...I couldn't help noticing...re: the bolded letters, and your join date, May 2010....I noticed real improvement shortly after my join date as well...coincidence? Or does reading about all this stuff here on DW translate into better playing? Just asking...

Hey, larry. Great question. It's not a coincidence.

The drum bug bit me a couple years ago and I decided to rekindle my love affair with the instrument. I had been mulling over the idea of buying a new set and I started seeking information on the web, which led me here. Once I got to this place, I found my interest grew exponentially. I reconnected with the whole idea of being a drummer and a student of the drums again. That has a lot to do with the people and the discussions that take place here every day.

I would say the WFD discussions/debates/flame wars were the real impetus to get me practicing seriously again. There was no such thing as WFD when I last studied and the competitive element really appealed to me. It got me setting goals for my own progress and that's one of the best things to happen to me as a drummer in a long time.

Wow ,now that's a great post, way to go man. You know...I couldn't help noticing...re: the bolded letters, and your join date, May 2010....I noticed real improvement shortly after my join date as well...coincidence? Or does reading about all this stuff here on DW translate into better playing? Just asking...
Reading and discussing stuff here gets me thinking about things in a day-to-day sense that I probably wouldn't be exposed to otherwise.

My progress this year has manifested itself in applying and reaping the dividends of everything I learnt when studying in Brighton during 2009/2010. When I moved back home I didn't have the luxury of being to work my playing as much as I would of liked, my main focus was on getting a day job to get myself back on my feet. I finally landed an awesome job in community music under a sixth month contract and as the hours were flexible it gave me the time to practice a lot more.

I've developed both in my approach/mental attitude to playing the instrument and also physically in terms of playing. From an approach point of view I feel like I've matured; I think a lot more about why I'm playing what I play for a particular song and really get to grips with what the song needs as opposed to just the part that will fulfill me as a drummer. Ultimatley serving the song is what fulfills me the most and I'm glad that I've finally realised that.

Changing my approach has been the key part of puzzle for improving my playing on a physical level, I'm now playing parts that: a) I'm very confident in playing and b) parts that coupled with said confidence and practice of technique, timing and musical vocabulary; sound solid and professional.

All in all I'm a very happy bunny and I can't wait to see what the new year brings for me as a musician.

Hope everyone is well and a very happy new year to all!

Kev

In 2011 I : -

* Set up and semi-soundproofed a small drum room in the house to practice on.
* Started gigging again for the first time in a few years.
* Started getting regular drum lessons again for the first time in many years.
* Improved my bass drum playing (I used to get a lot of problems with tension).
* Can now play doubles (hands) - just about..
* Started practicing properly every day, though I still need to be more regimented.
* Can now incorporate triplets and quads (between hands and foot) into fills just about.
* Improved overall relaxation behind kit.
* Improved my grip.

But there's still a long long long way to go.... but thankfully now I feel I'm being guided correctly by seeing a teacher every other week and being pushed.

Happy new year to you all ! :)

This year was great for me. I did 115 shows (which was less than last year) but the pay was about the same as last year.

I spent 10 weeks on the road and all the travel was really great. This bands first time out to California and we had a wonderful time out there. We went to vegas twice and did a week at Mandalay bay. I did a week in Ireland too which was really awesome. Last time we went over we played 6 shows in 6 nights and it was pretty brutal. this time we did 3 shows in 6 nights and had a chance to see sights and relax.

The negatives for 2011 were shows getting cancelled. We had one bar get shut down by the city and then another bar changed owners and fired all their staff. I also didn't get to the studio or record anything this year. We had a line up change at the start of the year and between getting everybody up to speed and the busy schedule we didn't have much time to record. We did write a few good songs though so hopefully in 2012 we can record.

We just added a 2nd guitar player too for 2012 and bought a new van. We also finally have everybody living in the same city so we will be able to practice and write alot more. We also added some semi-regular residencies 2 thursdays a month and 1 sunday brunch every month. I just hope we can start making more money because we will have another person in the band.

I also am getting a new kit build from SJC this year. Really excited to see how it comes out. I already ordered it.

Back