emo. block.! help.!

i am learning drums since 2 years.. got my kit a year ago.

after 2 months later i got my kit.. my neighbors had launched a police complains against me because of the noise i make. my parents felt insulted.. they were very angry on me.

since that day.. i used to damp my drumkit a lot.. never ever hit crash cymbals.. just play beats on snare bass drum and hats. all damped.! hardly rolled on toms.. all due to the shock of the police complaint..

i let my drumming survive in this condition for 10 months. didnt even touch it for last 4 months due to academics.

after months of saving. i rented out a room recently... with no neighbors to complain possibly.

but the problem now is.. i am not able to get out of the emotional shock. of people complaining..
MY HANDS GET SLACK WHEN I TRY TO CRASH THE CYMBAL OR ROLL ON TOMS. I CANNOT BEAR THE SOUND OF THE SNARES CHAOS AS I AM NOT USED TO IT.

I AM STILL NOT OUT OF THE SHOCK.. whereas now its all gone...

where as if i play on practice pads.. i go all awesome with the rudimental stuffs and all..

please guide me.. how to go step by step.. to kick off my fear..

thx.. god bless u a lot.!

All you have to do is recognize that there's nothing to be afraid of anymore.

If you want a strategy to tackle this problem with, I suggest just getting used to actually playing drums. Hit those crashes, try some rolls. They don't have to be loud or fast, but getting used to the motion is what's important.

Build your confidence slowly.

What???

I can't believe I'm actually replying to this. So you've got somewhere to practice without hassle now, yeah?

Stop living in the past and go and play your drums man!! :)

I sort of understand.. when I play at home I sometimes swear I can hear someone banging hard on the door. Only very occasionally, but there's still that nagging worry that I'm annoying someone, even though I know they aren't very loud outside due to semi-soundproofing the room, and I know my next door neighbour can barely hear them and he says he doesn't care anyway (I know I'm very lucky in that respect).

I wonder if wearing some earplugs to begin with would help? Or closed headphones? It would seem a lot quieter to you then, kinda like when they were damped at your house. If using ear plugs, you could gradually put them less and less in your ears until they aren't in your ears at all..

OR - you could do what some of the others have said, and stop living in the past and just get over it, like many things in life.

Enjoy the space you've rented, go crazy!

I think you should go to your rental space and just go nuts on your drums. Just scream, and beat things, to let out all that pent up fear of not being able to play. After about 10 minutes of that, just sit and realize that no one is coming. Then just play without worry.

Back