Good Bassist.

mikel

Platinum Member
I joined a new band a month ago, well not strictly a new band, a guitarist and singer duo were looking to form a band rather than using there backing tracks. Anyway. We have had 5 band practices and the bass player is good, very solid and good pro gear. Last night during band practice the singer and guitarist were making everyone a drink, we have them well trained already, and the bassist started playing a groove, so I joined in with him and it was so smooth and easy, we were knocking out a nice funky groove and playing with it a bit. The guitarist came back in and said " This sounds great, what is it?"

We seem to find it very easy to play together and it feels like we have been a rhythm section for years, after only a month. Anyone else have this experience with a good bassist?

Most Definitely. In my drum life, I've had only two bassist I meshed instantly. Sadly I had to pick only one to be in a band with. Its a wonderful feeling!

Their playing only makes you be more creative and execute smoothly! I get goose bumps when they play an extra groovey line, and I just slither in smoothly.

Making music is a conversation and sometimes you click with someone really well and sometimes you don't. Glad it's clicking for you!

Oh yeah a good bass player makes you're live so easy as a drummer and it make all the difference in the band sound.
if it feels natural when you play ,than you got a good bass player.
For me it relax me when im playing with a good bass player ,so my playing is more relaxt.

Anyone else have this experience with a good bassist?

Yep. I'm a big advocate for building a rapport with your bass player. A good one is worth their weight in gold. Together you are the "rhythm section".....brothers in arms, so to speak. All the very best bands have a tight and seamless rhythm section......that is no coincidence and it speaks volumes.

I've played with a few over the years that I've been lucky enough to really gel with. But I've shared a bond with one in particular where we barely needed to communicate, we just always knew what each other was going to do. One of those unspoken bonds where you just know another player inside out and can react and feed off each other accordingly. It's been a fair while since we've been in a band together, but I still call him my best mate to this very day. In fact, he'll be here to drink my fridge dry in a few minutes time.

Some musicians have the ability to improvise a good groove and others don't. I can't figure it out.

Yep. I'm a big advocate for building a rapport with your bass player. A good one is worth their weight in gold. Together you are the "rhythm section".....brothers in arms, so to speak. All the very best bands have a tight and seamless rhythm section......that is no coincidence and it speaks volumes.

I've played with a few over the years that I've been lucky enough to really gel with. But I've shared a bond with one in particular where we barely needed to communicate, we just always knew what each other was going to do. One of those unspoken bonds where you just know another player inside out and can react and feed off each other accordingly. It's been a fair while since we've been in a band together, but I still call him my best mate to this very day. In fact, he'll be here to drink my fridge dry in a few minutes time.

I know that feeling. I was drumming in a band with my kid brother years ago and our understanding was telepathic, It was almost scary. Still the best musician I have ever played with, the gifted little blighter.

I play with 3 bassists, and I click with 2 of them. Its really fun to click together.

F

This is awesome when it happens. I've had this with both a bassist and a guitarist, that knowledge of each others playing and nuances that you instinctively know where you should both go next.

I've also played with a guitarist who couldn't improvise, hated it. So everything had to be written first. Not necessarily a bad thing, but its nice to stretch those telepathic improvisational muscles regularly.

Back