I can't play my drums now!!

slowrocker

Silver Member
So I just had surgery, and I cannot play the drums for a while. I think I am going to go crazy. Anyone else having or has had injuries or other things keep them off the drums?

Dude, that sucks. I deeply feel for ya'.
I've never had any injuries to keep me off the drums - but I've had living situations keep me away from them. i lived in Atlanta with my wife for a while, and I had to keep them put away in storage. For months at a time they went un-touched.

Perhaps you can still use your legs or just the arms?
So some snare drum practice or foot independance could be good.
Otherwise you can do a mental practice -)

I had bilateral surgery for carpal tunnel and then a severed tendon in my right hand and was unable to play for a time (some would argue that i still can't!).

There are more important things in life, family, friends general health issues. If you can care for yourself or have assistance from those you love while you recover and the condition is temporary, just be thankful. No one has ever died from not playing drums, as far as I am aware anyhow.

I had kidney cancer and had 1/3 of my right kidney removed about 6 1/2 years ago.
About two years ago I had surgery to create a fistula for dialysis on my right arm and they cut me open at the wrist.
Last July 31st I had a kidney transplant and all three surgery recovery periods kept me off the drums for awhile.
I've been there and is sucks!

Some of those stories sound bad. Hopefully I am able play again soon. I just had surgery and I feel totally useless.

broke my right ankle last december. had two surgeries since. wasn't playing anything until May. even then it was tough to play because i was just starting physical therapy. it came back somewhat quickly though. i recorded an album im july. (metal too!) the only thing i would say is do what you can to maintain. if you can use a practice pad for your hands then do it. i wish i had. im down a few notches with my hands and that is still taking time to come back.

I had a quad heart bypass back in April that kept me off the drums for a while. Now I face chemotherapy for Hodgkin's Lymphoma.....no doubt that will keep me off the drums for a time.

But then, I don't play my drums every day. Life has seemed to kill my desire to sit and play the drums plus my I get fatigued easily, due to the cancer.

Hopefully one day God will see it to restore my desire to play and maybe even gigging again.
Good luck!

Back