Marking your drum rug

drummingman

Gold Member
What is the best kind of tape to mark the position of stands, pedals, etc. on a drum rug and where can I get this tape?

Duct tape at any hardware store worth a damn. My Grandfather and I were thinking of starting our own cult - 'The Followers of Duct Tape'. He was a Research Physicist (working in TV and Radio for the BBC) for thirty-five years and I have experience in Sound Engineering. It's wonderful stuff.

+1 on the gaff tape. Depending on the rug material, you might be able to use the "hook" part of Velcro. In that case, get the kind that is sewn on - it doesn't have adhesive - and cut into strips as needed. That way it's easily removed and reapplied when position changes, and won't leave a residue on the rug like gaff or duct tape can do.

Avoid making permanent marks on the rug with a Sharpie... they're permanent!

Bermuda

Velcro for me. It sticks to my Ikea rug like a limpet but is quite easily peeled off for adjustments in pedal/stand placement. Plus, no sticky residue like tape. Also., If you get white velcro it is easy to number or colour code.

And no, I dont have shares in a velcro factory.

I glued a rubber backed carpet to my drum riser and all the legs and feet left dents where they set so I didnt have to mark it with anything.

I glued a rubber backed carpet to my drum riser and all the legs and feet left dents where they set so I didnt have to mark it with anything.

Drum riser? luxury!!! I would be happy with a cardboard box.

Last edited:
+1 on the gaff tape. Depending on the rug material, you might be able to use the "hook" part of Velcro. In that case, get the kind that is sewn on - it doesn't have adhesive - and cut into strips as needed. That way it's easily removed and reapplied when position changes, and won't leave a residue on the rug like gaff or duct tape can do.

Avoid making permanent marks on the rug with a Sharpie... they're permanent!

Bermuda
Where can I get gaff tape?

Thanks for the reply B and everybody else!

I made my own drum riser with wheels that also doubles as my hardware case and all my stands fit in it at full length without breaking them down, I just fold the legs in, put them in the riser, fold it in half and lock it, then roll it out to the trailer.

Apologies Tard, It was a feeble attempt at an old joke.

Sounds like a great piece of kit, you should market it.

I use white duct tape. It has been on my drum rug for at least a year and has never come off. You can buy it at any decent hardware store, (Lowes, Home Depot, ACE, etc.).

Instead of any kind of tape, I use Sharpie Paint on mine. It comes in felt tip tubes just like
Magic Markers but has paint instead. I do this for a rug that is not a permanent part of a drum riser.
If it was more permanent I would heed Bermuda's advice not to use a Sharpie. I guess it depends on your gigs.
I have used with success a dark color over the white paint to make changes when needed.

Last edited:
Gaff tape is available at any hardware store. It's essentially a less "gummy" version of duct tape, although it has good sticking power. The names gaff & duct are used interchangeably, but there is a difference.

Bermuda

Back