Vinnie Colaiuta

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta goes to PAISTE

Good for him.

It's funny. People wondering "will he still sound like Vinnie" playing other gear. The reality is we almost surely already know the answer. Guys endorse a brand but still use other stuff when they record. Anybody wondering what Vinnie sounds like playing Ludwig has probably already heard it!

Good for him.
Guys endorse a brand but still use other stuff when they record. Anybody wondering what Vinnie sounds like playing Ludwig has probably already heard it!
Very true! We've supplied stuff "under the radar". Actually, it's more simple than that. What a player chooses to buy with their own money is no business of the company whom they endorse. The deal is based around brand exposure, credits, etc, so as long as those elements aren't disturbed, there's no issue. I even know a guy who makes a good living out of supplying very special percussion instruments (mainly snares) to endorsed artists for studio work.

I've been playing Paiste lately too and I still sound like me. Sorry...carry on...

If he's playing cymbals with no logos and you guys don't know if they're A Customs or 602's, then I'd say he will sound like himself.

People wondering "will he still sound like Vinnie" playing other gear. The reality is we almost surely already know the answer.

I've been playing Paiste lately too and I still sound like me. Sorry...carry on...

If he's playing cymbals with no logos and you guys don't know if they're A Customs or 602's, then I'd say he will sound like himself.

It was a joke!! And a pretty obvious one I would have thought.

I dunno you blokes.......live a little will you! :)

It was a joke!! And a pretty obvious one I would have thought.

I dunno you blokes.......live a little will you! :)

I should get out more. ha ha.
I have pasty white skin, and I live in So Cal. ?

Anyway, yeah my humor is often misinterpreted as being serious. Sorry for the confusion. Maybe he was playing Sabians and he didn't like the logo like so many people.

Of course it was a dry joke! Vinnie will sound like Pocket or Bill Ward, enough said... :*)

I can't believe what a big deal it is. It's devastating for Zildjian but, why would anyone else really care?
He'll still sound like himself. Like others have said, he could he using anything on record and he'll have a sound he goes for and he could pick any of the top brands and and replicate his sound fairly closely. Not to mention miking and EQing etc.

It would be interesting if someone could upload some comparisons of kits, try catching us out.

I can't believe what a big deal it is. It's devastating for Zildjian but, why would anyone else really care?

I'm not sure anyone does.....really. It's more just an interesting point of discussion that drum nerds can gather round and speculate to our nerdy heart's content.

Sure as hell beats yet another thread on who makes the fastest 5B sticks. Or what the best velcro for the underside of a base pettle is. Or whether burying a ZBT will really turn it into a K Custom. Or whether one should teach now that they've just completed their third week of lessons. Or even The Beatles vs Korn (yes, that one really exists!!!).

Nup....gimme Vinnie and his 602's (or not), anyday of the week.

I'm not sure anyone does.....really. It's more just an interesting point of discussion that drum nerds can gather round and speculate to our nerdy heart's content.

Sure as hell beats yet another thread on who makes the fastest 5B sticks. Or what the best velcro for the underside of a base pettle is. Or whether burying a ZBT will really turn it into a K Custom. Or whether one should teach now that they've just completed their third week of lessons. Or even The Beatles vs Korn (yes, that one really exists!!!).

Nup....gimme Vinnie and his 602's (or not), anyday of the week.

Wow! I thought the 5B one was bad til you said Beatlea vs Korn! That'a a whole new kind of cronic!

Must be so damaging to a company to lose a drummr who is always in the top 10 usually number 1 best drummer in the rhythm polls.

I haven't seej the vid, does he have a bad temper? he seems so nice in interviews.

He'll still sound like himself. Like others have said, he could he using anything on record and he'll have a sound he goes for and he could pick any of the top brands and and replicate his sound fairly closely. Not to mention miking and EQing etc.

It would be interesting if someone could upload some comparisons of kits, try catching us out.
Because it's part of the music business, and some of us are interested in the business side as well as the music side.

At least I am.

Ultimately, Vinnie will always sound like Vinnie. I remember hearing YEARS ago that he had a couple of sets of Paiste cymbals tucked away for recording.

Hey, it's one thing to jump ship to company X, but to go from b20 to b8 ... do you think he'd get that carried away? Hmmm. It'll be interesting to see. He does like him some bright cymbals now and then.

If he is indeed using 602's, those are B20.

Vinnie will always sound like Vinnie, but it can still be a different sound. I much preferred his Yamaha 9000 sound to anything I heard when he was with Gretsch, although the drum head choices will have a part to play amongst other things. Similarly, with the Sting video, albeit the sound quality is not amazing, I don't really like the cymbal tone as much as his Zildjians.

I remember hearing Weckl when he did the reunion album with Chick Corea Elektric Band. I thought his Sabian hi-hats sounded awful on that album. Much preferred the K/Zs he used for years.

Back