Opinion on Stick Grip-by T. Bruce Wittet

There are so many great drummers with different takes on grip. I like the notion of 'how not to grip a stick' as oppose to 'how to grip a stick.' IMO, to each his own. As long as you're not hurting your hands and you're achieving your desired results. I haven't read this before. Thanks for posting.

I should point out that when the article first appeared there was quite a bit of negative feedback so in the next issue they had opinions from several well know drummers and as it turns out that in the course of one tune,particularly a modern jazz one that they will have used at least 3 to 4 grips in the execution of that tune. I'm kind of stuck in my ways because I am self taught but I have switched to the second finger grip in order not to tire out.

Very interesting. I agree in that regard. I use different grips and techniques routinely dependent upon the situation. My grips have certainly evolved through the years as well. I really relate to being stuck in one's own ways but being open minded here can be a good thing too. I've changed things about my grips (and techniques) I never thought I would have and can say I'm glad I did. I've also made changes to these things only to go right back to what I was doing. Not everything works for everyone.

yea this is good. and the site is good! thanks. and particularly we're always discussing this left hand. i know it's a personal mission of mine to really try achieving as universal of a grip as possible(i know what you're saying about the 3 or 4 changes in one tune, and i'm not all wild about it).

i saw your six bombers oneguy. i see you are still fast. good luck on your mission too.

WOW, very very interesting. This may well save my desire which has been waning as I keep getting extreme fatigue in the meaty part just below my thumb. Especially when playing fast 8th notes or 16th's on the hats. I know for a fact I am not holding the stick too tight. Gonna try the 2nd finger grip tonight

Gadd using the Bobby Thompson grip, complete with the cocked pinky on the left hand! That's my grip, right there.

While I did not fully understand how to use the second finger and use the first finger differently, I completely understand and relate to the fatigue due to the fucrum pressure while using first finger / thumb meat grip.

Can someone who actually plays like that explain a little better how that grip works (the one with the first finger poitning forward and the second finger serving as partial fulcrum)?

I found it exceptionally long winded and repetitive. I swear I read at least a thousand paragraphs until he got to the crux of the issue, being the middle finger fulcrum. That said, that's my only gripe and I do agree with his ultimate point.....although, I wish I'd read the shortened version, Bruce :)

Personally I've always found both more control and more leverage over the stick using predominantly a thumb and middle finger fulcrum. My fore finger doesn't "point forward" per se, but it does rest gently on the side of the stick when playing German grip. That's not to say it lies there dormant, forever amen though. It certainly comes into play to aid control from time to time.

I found it exceptionally long winded and repetitive. I swear I read at least a thousand paragraphs until he got to the crux of the issue, being the middle finger fulcrum. That said, that's my only gripe and I do agree with his ultimate point.....although, I wish I'd read the shortened version, Bruce :)

Personally I've always found both more control and more leverage over the stick using predominantly a thumb and middle finger fulcrum. My fore finger doesn't "point forward" per se, but it does rest gently on the side of the stick when playing German grip. That's not to say it lies there dormant, forever amen though. It certainly comes into play to aid control from time to time.

As a newbie, I still don't quite understand this. So, by using the middle finger as the primary fulcrum point, that leaves you with the last two back fingers (pinky and married ring finger) to use as leverage. Is that right?

yes long-winded. and some teachers(even really big ones) tend to think they're inventing this 'cutting edge' thingie, when actually the discussion is already in full swing. that's a good thing about the internet!

As a newbie, I still don't quite understand this. So, by using the middle finger as the primary fulcrum point, that leaves you with the last two back fingers (pinky and married ring finger) to use as leverage. Is that right?

i don't know if there's complete agreement with me on this one, so just take it for what it's worth, ok? but this guy posted a while back, and it was exactly the thing i needed to connect the dots on my grip. my hands look like his-i was really close-and it works for me. so it helped me. on drummerworld, you can look up chuck silverman- i think he teaches this stuff(maybe more legit?...because again i'm not saying this guy in the videos is any official standard-bearer, but i sure like what he's doing myself).

(BTW to any pros on the topic...please don't hesitate to correct me if i'm out in left field on this stuff. thank you!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oZUKAeEr5g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9EfrvNBcgk&feature=related

Opinion needed: doesn't the free stroke, or a stroke that is designed around a clean bounce, negate the exhaustion issue? I seem to be thinking now that a search for different grips on my part to avoid thumb pain and such is really just a clue that I am not executing the free stroke properly, thus working too hard. So I don't think you're in any better shape on a middle fulcrum than an index fulcrum, if you're forcing it with your fingers, it's gonna hurt. Make sense?

While I did not fully understand how to use the second finger and use the first finger differently, I completely understand and relate to the fatigue due to the fucrum pressure while using first finger / thumb meat grip.

Can someone who actually plays like that explain a little better how that grip works (the one with the first finger poitning forward and the second finger serving as partial fulcrum)?

In the original article he says to just snap your middle finger and thumb, what you are left with is essentially the grip. Instead of the pincer grip with your index finger use the middle finger as your falcrum. As an aside; I read where the American civil war drummers whould actually use their baby finger as the falcrum so as to save energy. A little drastic but I tried it just for the experience, very difficult but could sense how one could go on playing for a very long time.

The middle finger will do fine by me.

Opinion needed: doesn't the free stroke, or a stroke that is designed around a clean bounce, negate the exhaustion issue? I seem to be thinking now that a search for different grips on my part to avoid thumb pain and such is really just a clue that I am not executing the free stroke properly, thus working too hard. So I don't think you're in any better shape on a middle fulcrum than an index fulcrum, if you're forcing it with your fingers, it's gonna hurt. Make sense?

He is also beleives that it is an improvment that will enhance your bounce; strictly a matter of opinion. I will attempt to find the response to the original aticle from various drummers including Dave Weckl.

Would be nice if the answer to the pain was this easy but every instructor I have been to (5+) has said my grip looks fine and has come up with some exercise to do to stretch out the fingers and hands before playing and none of it really helps. , Eat a banana, drink lots of water, and probably 10 more suggestions that sound good at first until I start playing Rock and Roll by zeppelin and my hand feels like it's gonna go paralyzed yet again. always starts in the thumb. ehh I don't know, maybe I am just one of those guys who should tape the stick to his hand.

Back