Anyone signing up for GC Drum-Off?

utdrummer

Just thinking about the drum-off the other day and sure enough, it's right around the corner. Sign up is already under way, August 1, 2010, and the competition begins September 23. I went to several here in the Houston area last year and saw the good, the bad, and the ugly, but that's what the comp is about. Most drummers I saw participating were very good and their compositions were what set the winners apart. Great concept and really good prizes as well. Anyone here signing up? If so, keep us posted...

Not signing up, but I will be judging at the South Bay store in Redondo Beach (L.A.)

I've been judging for 20 or 21 years, and really enjoy the sheer talent that many of the contestants exhibit. Most are nice guys & gals, and seem modest about their technical fireworks. I certainly couldn't compete without a LOT of practice! But that's what the competition is all about: those who work hard and dedicate themselves to doing that solo, and the prizes have become quite impressive.

Bermuda

I too will be a judge at the Rhode Island store. This will be my second time. And yes, Rhode Island is small - hence the one and only GC store!

I will be judging the Guitar Center, Commack store. Last year our winner made it into the finals. I am looking really forward to a new year.

Last edited:
I watched at my local store last year, and even though I'm not much into drum solos, I enjoyed it.

I watched at my local store last year, and even though I'm not much into drum solos, I enjoyed it.

And it is important to remember that the Drum Off is about soloing, not about playing drums in a musical context. So when I judge, I just shift my perspective from 'Is this drummer gig ready?' to 'How technically adept is he?'

Bermuda

Bo, I'm surprised you're not leading the charge to your local GC. I thought sure you'd be in it. I always wanted to compete but never got the nerve up once the contest drew near. I was planning on doing a compilation of well-known beats and licks that everyone in the crowd would recognize in a structured solo. I could see myself opening with "Rock and Roll", comping for a few seconds, then maybe "Walk this way", comp, then "In the air tonight". You get the point. I did see one guy in Houston years ago finish his solo with the horse race call (the one that's played by the bugler). It was totally out of left field and blew all of us away. Great ending. But yeah, Bermuda and others, keep us informed as to whats going on later this month.

Bo, I'm surprised you're not leading the charge to your local GC. I thought sure you'd be in it. I always wanted to compete but never got the nerve up once the contest drew near. I was planning on doing a compilation of well-known beats and licks that everyone in the crowd would recognize in a structured solo. I could see myself opening with "Rock and Roll", comping for a few seconds, then maybe "Walk this way", comp, then "In the air tonight". You get the point. I did see one guy in Houston years ago finish his solo with the horse race call (the one that's played by the bugler). It was totally out of left field and blew all of us away. Great ending. But yeah, Bermuda and others, keep us informed as to whats going on later this month.

Well, truth be told I participated in a GC Drum Off some 22 years ago (wow - I am old). And I didn't exactly suck at it, I won and moved up to the main one for the store after 12 weeks went by and they got 11 other winners. Back then I think that's where it stopped, they didn't move it up then by having each store compete against each other.

But the competitive nature really turned me off. I overheard some of the other competitors complaining about this or that, basically talking smack about things that may or may not be fair. I never understood that mentality because music isn't supposed to be a competition. You get the gig because someone wants you for the gig!

I like Bermuda's approach how he just changes his perspective on how he looks at the competitor, but to me, I'd rather just not be involved. The music life is definitely not fair, and moving your fingers at mind-bending rates and being an outstanding soloist should not give anyone an inkling that they have what it takes to make it in the big bad world out there. You can imagine when they announced the winner and hearing the losers bitch about how the winner sucked. It was almost like "I played more notes than him, why did he win?" Personally, that behavior is shameful. Like I said, I'd rather not be involved in the process of delusion for other drummers.

Wow, this should provoke some flames, eh?

I've acted as judge for 3 different years for GC in Tempe AZ. I think it is a very fun thing to do that only good can come from.

We all know that music is not a competition, but that doesn't stop us from bragging about our stuff once in a while. Just have a look around this forum to see proof of that. ...and why not? I am proud of my stuff and my abilities, and you should be too..

I think every one of you guys should go compete. Everyone gets a free t-shirt at the very least so everybody wins! It's very fun!

Not signing up, but I will be judging at the South Bay store in Redondo Beach (L.A.)

I've been judging for 20 or 21 years, and really enjoy the sheer talent that many of the contestants exhibit. Most are nice guys & gals, and seem modest about their technical fireworks. I certainly couldn't compete without a LOT of practice! But that's what the competition is all about: those who work hard and dedicate themselves to doing that solo, and the prizes have become quite impressive.

Bermuda

I can't think of a better qualified person to than you Bermuda to be a judge for the Drum-Off. In fact, I'd say you are most uniquely qualified factoring in your experience with such an incredibly diverse group as Weird Al.

A tip of the hat to ya.

I'm judging at the Boise store (starting tonight.) I got roped in, since the bassist in my band is the store manager. It should be fun. Should I bring ear plugs?

Back