Weird perceptions

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
Lately I have 2 snare drums set up for just snare drum practice.

One is a segmented walnut and the other is a segmented padauk, tuned almost identical.

One day I prefer the walnut, the other day I prefer the padauk.

I don't understand this at all, do you?

Must have something to do with gravity or the moon.

Are you a werewolf by any chance?

Variety is the spice of life.

Weird how stuff sounds better the more stoned you are, eh? They don't call em jazz cigarettes for nothing.

I found that with me I go back and forth if I have two snares I’m not quite digging or two snares (wood and brass)I totally dig. With the first scenario I would switch to reduce the pain and with the second it was about which way the wind would blow.

I’ve been far less flighty since I got my bronze snare a few months ago. It sits between metal and wood simultaneously and encompasses what I like with both the wood and brass snares. I suspect copper would have been even more pleasing, but the bronze ended the madness for me.

One day I prefer chocolate chip cookies, another day peanut butter cookies. I think we just like some change and variety in everything....except coffee, people rarely change how they like their coffee.
What do you practice just on snare drum?

One day I prefer chocolate chip cookies, another day peanut butter cookies. I think we just like some change and variety in everything....except coffee, people rarely change how they like their coffee.
What do you practice just on snare drum?

Yea, I guess it's kind of like an appetite like you say.

Good coffee ob, well played.

I practice single and double stroke rolls on the snares away from my kit. I haven't seriously delved into rest of the rudiments yet as the SSR is a tall wall to scale. I do practice some here and there, but I'm not delving into them until I get my rolls comfortable.

I also try to bury the click at 1/4 note = 20 BPM without subdividing in my head, just feeling and counting the quarter note. Plus I practice the tables of time. That's pretty much it right now.

I take my sweet time with practicing stuff. I like to get something really together before moving on.

Who knows.

Sometimes I love my high hats, and sometimes not so much. I guess I need to get another set of hats to love and hate too.

except coffee, people rarely change how they like their coffee.
I base my decision wholly on the quality and brew of the coffee. If it's well brewed good stuff, I'll absolutely take black. If it's the questionable diner stuff that tastes like it's been sitting on the burner for 5 hours, then I'm going to go ahead and give that a spike of some cream.

To your point, I am fairly consistent in this rule, though.

^ This.

Humans love variety.

Except my coffee better be dark and strong every morning.

One is a segmented walnut and the other is a segmented padauk, tuned almost identical.

What do you need to understand?

I ‘ll do the switching between cheap, piccolo, steel, 13” and my 6x 14 free floating brass. I just need the different sound sometimes for variety, no really good, tech reason.

I think it's the time of day and our physiological state-we often have normal fluctuations in hormones and neurotransmitters-like generally cortisol and catecholamines (norepinephrine/epinephrine) are higher in morning and lower in evening-men have morning testosterone surges (When I was teaching at a Historic Black College one of my students had an interesting project of stress and cortisol and memory-she gave questionnaires, a short memory test, and then volunteered gave saliva for us to measure cortisol during morning and evening-it was a small school but some of my students really did some excellent work and great projects). So our brain chemistry changes during the day too-I think that influences our perceptions too. My drums sound different to me when I play in the morning compared to evening-also my tuning preferences seems to change from lower in morning to higher pitched in evening.

Why one day I like the sound of a certain drum and the next day I don't.

I thought that was crystal clear.

Because you're a flip-flopper!

debate3_200x206.jpg

Quite normal larry. You really can use food as a comparison. One day I prefer chocolate with a crunchy bite to it like maltesers or a crunchie (these are two awesome british confectionaries) and the next day I might prefer smooth cadburys or galaxy milk chocolate with nothing crunchy (more awesome british confectionaries) to linger and melt slowly in the mouth.

Drums are the same, just a little less edible. I'm going through a phase of really enjoying my 12" snare again, the articulation it has. Another day I'll prefer my 14" Sakae snare because maybe I got bored of the 12" snare.

By the way, I once ate a segmented walnut. Delicious.

Who knows.

Sometimes I love my high hats, and sometimes not so much. I guess I need to get another set of hats to love and hate too.

But what if you end up loving both sets of hats at the same time, and also hating both sets at the same time as well?

Better get yourself a few dozen pairs, then you'll always be sure to have the flavour of the day!

Back