re heading a djembe

Nealio1987

Hi all

Im putting a new head on a key tuned djembe and im really struggling , I have tried dropping the head on so all the rods go through the holes , I have also tried the clock methd , neother works , head is the right size .... any pointers >?

neal

Maybe you could try to soak the head in warm water before putting it on. I know they do that to congaheads, but not shure about djembe :s

Are you screwing a bolt down too far before moving around the head?

You can't get all the threads just barely started before tuning it up?

Just trying to figure out how you're going about this...

Hi there , cheers for the replies.

Well I have tried putting one rod in at a time and also trying to get tem all in at one time , then one side at one time , even just a slight part of the rod going through.

NO LUCK.

I think there has to be something you can do , dont know about putting it in warm water though ???

First of all, are you putting on a synthetic head or an animal skin head?

With a key-tuned djembe, you tune it like you do a drum head on a drum set. If it's a synthetic head, you DO NOT soak it in water. With an animal skin with a flesh hoop, I would advise against soaking, but sometimes you've got to if the head isn't stretching properly, but then put it on without much tension, 'cause when it dries out, it could easily split if it's on too tight (there's a reason, structurally, why it's not going on easily...might be a dud head?)

Back