VINNIE USING VIC FIRTH!

Random and not huge news, but Vinnie has made the switch to 5B! Maybe a signature model will come out? Or maybe they'll just keep the classic 5B? Who knows!

Check out 2:07

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M4BGpdU3pY

On the one hand, Vinnie is a huge coup for any company to claim, and you'll notice that Ludwig and Paiste did not hesitate to get him into their marketing as quickly as possible. On the other hand, it's kind of interesting to see him jumping all his ships at once... although in fact Vic is part of Zildjian now, so it's not really a jump. Since he left Zildjian as a cymbal artist, it's not surprising he would move to another stick company too, at least in name. That must have been an awkward meeting at the Vic/Zildjian combined artist relations meeting.

This has been stated many times but i feel like this whole move is exemplary of a need for money rather than brand loyalty

Vinnie played Vic Firth 5B's for years before he signed on with Zildjian sticks and designed his custom model, which wasn't much different than the VF 5B. I just looked into my crystal ball, and I see a Vic Firth Vinnie signature model coming, which will probably look a lot like the old Zildjian VC sig stick ('gasp', wait, can they do that??)

In his recent Modern Drummer interview, where he went into great detail about his reasons for switching gear, it certainly looked like VF 5B's were in his hands, although there was no mention in the article about what sticks he was using.

... although in fact Vic is part of Zildjian now, so it's not really a jump.

^ This.

Vic Firth is Zildjian, and Zildjian sticks are Vic Firth.

It's probably more for marketing (given Vinnie is no longer with Zildjian cymbals) than a formal switch in endorsements.

This has been stated many times but i feel like this whole move is exemplary of a need for money rather than brand loyalty

No. 99% of all endorsement deals do NOT involve payments to artist.

And in this case, given Vic Firth is owned by Zildjian, so they're not paying him to switch from themselves to themselves.

I've been using the Zildjian Version ever since I picked up the drums.

Got a VF pair yesterday and I just don't like them. I don't like the wood, they seem to be just a hair beefier which I don't like either and the VF laquer is something I've just never liked.

The Zildjians just look to be crafted With a bit more care as well. Round and smooth all over, while the VF is not, and yes I looked through every pair they had at the store.

Back