Well here goes nuttin

Scott J

I have my first gig tonight with my brand new band, kinda joined them whilst they already had gigs booked, we have a 60 song setlist and have only rehearsed together 3 times, yeah im a little nervous. Anyway as an aside what kinda things do you gigging drummers bring extra of in case of technical failures.

cheers

I usually carry a full set of heads in the car, but in my stick bag I have a few tension rods, cymbal sleeves, felts, several keys, some duct tape, masking tape, pliers, and a few screw drivers, an led light in the side pocket- so far I have only had a snare head break on my. but its worth being prepared mate!

Good luck, its understandable to be nervous, try not to be- you will enjoy it more!

Have fun above all mate and play like its the last chance you have to play.
H

Good advice by Spirit,
I have gone thru snare heads, but also a bass drum head, so a quick repair kit for such eventuality is sensible - old credit card & gaffa tape got me thru the gig!!
I too carry some spare tension rods, a few tools - look out for the D tool, a kind of "Swiss army knife" for drummers... always have a sharpie - for changing your set list or last minute cheat notes!!
Make sure you have a drink close to hand - alcoholic or otherwise depending on your taste & state of mind!!

Don't be too nervous, it stiffens you up, sit down, count the first number off and lead those guys into battle!!! Enjoy yourself and if you do make a mistake, chances are no-one or only your fellow band members will notice - move on & forget it - everybody makes mistakes, good players & bands just cover them well :-D

Most of all - you'll be the guy out there playing the coolest instrument in the band... everyone else can just watch listen & wish!!

Give em Hell mate !

Never gig without it in your bag! Along with plenty of Duck Tape.

Attachments

• extra-strength-tylenol_BD3F4FC8.jpg.jpeg
    extra-strength-tylenol_BD3F4FC8.jpg.jpeg
    9.3 KB · Views: 274
It will stick to anything & hold it together to get you thru the gig!!

So how did it go? I really wanna know, was it a good show? do you even know? hopefully it did not blow : )

Why so much duck tape?
There is nothing that you can't fix with Duck Tape! Remember the TV show MacGyver? I have repaired tom mounts, cymbal stands, light racks, a broken drum throne and many other things with Duck Tape over the years. Plus if your singer sucks that night, you can use it to tie him up and tape his mouth! Then just pretend that you are an instrumental band! LOL! I was joking on my original post. No matter what I have in my bag, There is always something that happens at a gig that you couldn't foresee! Murphy's Law, "If it can happen, It will!" Last night our singer forgot to bring the PA head. Fortunately we called a friend who was on his way to see us play and he brought a PA head for us to borrow. Hence, the need for the Tylenol!

Last edited:
I do know and no it did not blow, in fact I think I may have stole the show..thanks for the tips guys, nothing broke last night played 4- 1 hour sets without a hitch

Cheers

well done Scott - and welcome to the crazy world of the gigging drummer!!

Scott

AWESOME!, that's alot of material! I carry a kind "Tool chest" with all types of supplies (key, alan wrench, duct tape, extra tension rods) and keep it next to the kit for emergencies..I learn alot on every gig I play with my band or others. I'm sure you killed it!

J

Glad to hear it went well, congratulations! Also, too late now but for future gigs, aside from the obvious like extra heads, sticks, pedal, and snare, I always keep a spare drummer in my car, in case I break...

I've gotten completely out of the habit of bringing extra parts. After all what could go wrong? Any head can be repaired by flipping the drum over, with the exception of the bass, which can and has been taped to get through. After years of gigs, only one head repair. I rarely even carry tape, because the sound guy always has some should an emergency come up. Maybe I needed the parts more back when I was a bit of a basher. :)

Congrats on your gig, Scott!

Back