First song you ever remember hearing...

MaryO

Platinum Member
Not a nursery rhyme or children's song...but first real rock or pop song that you can remember hearing on the radio or being played by your parents on the stereo or whatever.

I have a distinct memory of being about 6 or 7 and sitting in my bedroom floor with my little portable radio on and hearing Clapton's I Shot the Sheriff. I remember just kind of stopping and listening to that song. I don't know why this memory is so distinct (I can't remember anything else I was doing before or after the song but just that little snippet of sitting in the floor and listening to it) but it really sticks out in my mind. So I guess that's my first real introduction to "real" music.

Just wondering if any of you had any such memories? Doesn't have to be drum influenced or related...

Not a nursery rhyme or children's song...but first real rock or pop song that you can remember hearing on the radio or being played by your parents on the stereo or whatever.

I have a distinct memory of being about 6 or 7 and sitting in my bedroom floor with my little portable radio on and hearing Clapton's I Shot the Sheriff. I remember just kind of stopping and listening to that song. I don't know why this memory is so distinct (I can't remember anything else I was doing before or after the song but just that little snippet of sitting in the floor and listening to it) but it really sticks out in my mind. So I guess that's my first real introduction to "real" music.

Just wondering if any of you had any such memories? Doesn't have to be drum influenced or related...

The first song I remember knowing by name, and WANTING to hear, was Johnny Preston's Running Bear. My family has a significant Native American heritage, and I really wanted to meet and fall in love with Little White Dove.

Don't judge! I was only 3 or so!

http://youtu.be/E3meEmDpaDU

Last edited:
From the radio, Another One Bites the Dust. I'm sure there were others, but this one always stood out. Being that I was 4, I remember thinking that it had something to do with people dining on the dust from under the refrigerator.

However, before that I specifically remember being a huge fan of the song Greensleeves. I would bug my mom to play it on the piano every night when she got home from work.

I also remember my grandmother listening to some easy listening station that, every afternoon, would have Paul Harvey come on and say "stand by for news!". This was all before Another One Bites the Dust.

I realize that remembering stuff from that young seems questionable, but I can remember things that have been confirmed by other family members from when I was 2.

Casting my hazy mind way back I'd have to say it's Windy by Ruthann Friedman and recorded by The Association. "Everyone knows it's Windy". I was 3 when it was released.

Man.... do I feel old : (

My apologies to those of you who know this catchy old tune and will be carrying it around in your heads all day : D

I'm sure it's nowhere near the first song I heard, but I have some very powerful childhood memories of my dad listening to Tom Waits. In particular, I remember really loving the song Tom Traubert's Blues when I was a child (no idea how old... probably between 6 and 10), and to this day that song can bring me right back to those times and it's one of my favourite songs.
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkOMiA_uGso

You wouldn't think that growly voice would suit the ears of a young child, but it definitely clicked with me.

Last edited:
Great stories, everyone! Keep them coming.

And, Flareless, yes, I'll have that song in my head all day. Ugh! Lol

Casting my hazy mind way back I'd have to say it's Windy by Ruthann Friedman and recorded by The Association. "Everyone knows it's Windy". I was 3 when it was released.

LOL I remember that! I thought it was Wendy so I've learned something :)

No idea what was first. There was also "my heart went boom boody boom boody boom ... goodness gracious me" ... I think it was Peter Sellers, too lazy to Google it.

There was the call tune for the midday movies that always made me cry for some reason. Telstar made me cry too - there was some goofy little video to it that got to me. Sgt Peppers with the cardboard cutout cover was awesome.

Just at band practice tonight between songs we reminisced on, "They're coming to take me away haha hoho heehee to the funny farm ..." and how the flipside was the same thing backwards - used to scare the dust out of me :)

I grew up with music on all the time. My moms boyfriend when I was a kid was a wedding DJ. This was back in the late 70's so he had like 100 milk crates full of albums. I grew up with music on in the house, in the car, at the park, everywhere all the time.

The first music I considered my own, separate from what my parents listened to, was Def Leppard. The pyromania album really got me set on a lifetime love of rock music.

The first song I remember hearing was The Proclaimers - If I Could 500 Miles, which I -apparently- was very fond of, as a little one.

I grew up with music on all the time. My moms boyfriend when I was a kid was a wedding DJ. This was back in the late 70's so he had like 100 milk crates full of albums. I grew up with music on in the house, in the car, at the park, everywhere all the time.

The first music I considered my own, separate from what my parents listened to, was Def Leppard. The pyromania album really got me set on a lifetime love of rock music.

Great buildup to your story. You had me at the edge of my seat, only to be let down by Def Leppard being the punchline. Lol.. Kidding. Funny what we remember. I was hoping for something gritty R&B, like Bill Withers or Ohio Players :)

I heard everything Elvis, Everly Bros. Tommy Roe, etc, but the first music I remember to this day and still love was marching band music. When I was preschool, there was a radio show called March Around the Breakfast Table. Kids radio with band music to get you up and going.

Haze by Dishwalla, particularly the cool synth effect at the beginning. There's home video of me dancing to it at age two.

Wings Band on the Run. My uncle had the 45. Then when I was six, I was riding in a pickup truck with my dad, and Twist and Shout came on the radio. I asked dad who it was, and he said, "That's the Beatles." So I saved up my allowance and bought my first record, Meet the Beatles. He told me that's the one I should start with.

Back