Hangovers...

...how do you deal with them? Hair of the dog? Secret family recipe? Tough it out? Go back to sleep?

I thought this would be appropriate today. While not really too bad, I myself feel a little squishy this morning.

Usually I just deal with it. Biscuits and gravy helps sometimes.

I used to be in the camp of attributing hangovers to simple dehydration. Apparently the data doesn't really support that. Interesting reads on the subject always come up on 1/1 of any year!

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/science/2013/12/your-complete-guide-to-the-science-of-hangovers/

linked article said:
The most compelling theory, at the moment, is that hangovers result from a buildup of acetaldehyde, a toxic compound, in the body. As the body processes alcohol, acetaldehyde is the very first byproduct, and it’s estimated to be between 10 and 30 times as toxic as alcohol itself. In controlled studies, it’s been found to cause symptoms such as sweating, skin flushing, nausea and vomiting.

Hangovers could also be driven by the way alcohol messes with your immune system. Studies have found strong correlations between high levels of cytokines—molecules that the immune system uses for signaling—and hangover symptoms. Normally, the body might use cytokines to trigger a fever of inflammatory response to battle an infection, but it seems that excessive alcohol consumption can also provoke cytokine release, leading to symptoms like muscle aches, fatigue, headache or nausea, as well as cognitive effects like memory loss or irritation.

Even so, my methods probably won't change. Mild OTC painkillers, lots of water, and time.

Ideally, last night's curry. Has never yet failed, in decades, but sometimes there isn't any left, which is a bit of a b*gger.

Do you put a tea strainer over a mug to get last night's cigarette butts out the sauce?

Ychafi, no, I never heard of such a thing! What are you talking about, dare I ask?

My unhealthy option is a toasted egg and bacon sandwich, a can of energy drink like Red Bull or V, half a box of painkillers, a slothful lie around on the couch and endless hours of pissing and moaning and generally praying for a quick death.

My ever so slightly more healthy option, is to replace the energy drink with a banana smoothie.....maybe two. But the sound of the blender is often far more than my pounding head can bear

But my absolute guarantee when all else fails.......the one certain to remove all traces of said hangover.....at least until tomorrow, is to climb right back up on that horse. Another drink please inn keeper......make it a strong one and keep 'em coming. The first few are generally far from pleasant, but after that it's smooth sailing.

It can take me about an hour but unfortunately hair of the dog which equates to another pint is the only cure that works for me......

I feel like hell but couple of pints back in I'm on fire again ; -)

Lot's of water, healthy eats and a good comedy series followed by a couple of cheeky beers usually does the trick for me. The UK series "Misfits" got me through my new years day!

Ideally, last night's curry. Has never yet failed, in decades, but sometimes there isn't any left, which is a bit of a b*gger.

Can we discuss why you put the astrisk in bugger? Is that a bad word? I am fascinated by this. Not to hijack the thread, but am I missing something here? Somebody please let me in on this!

Can we discuss why you put the astrisk in bugger? Is that a bad word? I am fascinated by this. Not to hijack the thread, but am I missing something here? Somebody please let me in on this!

Yes it is. Not in the same league as certain other words, but it isn't a word I use in polite society!

The word 'bugger' is essentially another word for sodomy in British English. In the UK, there have been various 'buggery laws' over the last five hundred years or so (which have been repealed). To those that know what the word means and its etymology, it is still considered crude.

The word 'bugger' is essentially another word for sodomy in British English.

In the 14th century, the word "sodomy" was used for all illicit forms of sexual relations, not only homosexuality: it covered extra-marital relations, intra-marital relations on days when intercourse was prohibited, and (of course) bestiality.

14th century hangover remedies included drinking a solution of saffron in water, and if the sufferer wished to vomit, soaking the scrotum in vinegar. Not sure how anybody would go about this if they didn't have a scrotum. Not sure why anybody would want to do it anyway, with or without one.

(Magenta. For everything you always wanted to know about the 14th Century, but were afraid to ask.)

(Magenta. For everything you always wanted to know about the 14th Century, but were afraid to ask.)

If you're still afraid to ask Madge, you can order her book on line, it comes with free caeks too... and it's garanteed to cure any hangovers :)

Attachments

• Horrible Histories.jpg
    Horrible Histories.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 180
If you're still afraid to ask Madge, you can order her book on line, it comes with free caeks too... and it's garanteed to cure any hangovers :)

Good God, that is TERRIFYING :-o

Sorry, I don't have any hangover remedies to offer. Maybe one - don't drink in the first place (boring advice).

I was drunk once in my life. That was when I was in the German armed forces (the so-called Bundeswehr). Some comrades encouraged me to drink more than I could take (which is ridiculously low amounts of alcohol to begin with). I felt extremely bad (reportedly I've been saying "I don't wanna live any more"), had to vomit several times. Then they dragged me to the bathroom and turned on the shower. That helped a bit (also to clean up the clothes).

Lesson learned ;-)

I only had one,it lasted for 14 years and ended in 1991.My favorite song in the morning was, Two shots away from a beautiful day....cheers

Sorry, I don't have any hangover remedies to offer. Maybe one - don't drink in the first place (boring advice).

I was drunk once in my life. That was when I was in the German armed forces (the so-called Bundeswehr). Some comrades encouraged me to drink more than I could take (which is ridiculously low amounts of alcohol to begin with). I felt extremely bad (reportedly I've been saying "I don't wanna live any more"), had to vomit several times. Then they dragged me to the bathroom and turned on the shower. That helped a bit (also to clean up the clothes).

Lesson learned ;-)

That's the army for you!

I read a while back that Richard E. Grant is teetotal because of an allergy to alcohol. After being cast for the rôle of Withnail in 'Withnail and I', the staff decided to get him drunk just once so that he could understand some of the feelings that come with extreme inebriation. If I remember correctly, they persuaded him to drink a pint of vodka.

His acting in that film is absolutely superb.

Back