Burnin' for Buddy DVD - What I Learned

I tend to think of big band as the rock n roll of jazz. You drive either bus basically the same way.

Re: Cathy Rich, I heard from someone I know who attended the Chicago Drum Show that she was really going after people who were selling anything at all that seemed to be Buddy-related, threatening to sue them, etc. In some cases, that may be warranted since she's protecting his estate. Without being there and judging for myself, it's hard for me to say. The only problem is, it doesn't exactly encourage people to check Buddy out, especially if she's preventing others while not doing anything to promote his legacy herself. .

You mean she got mad when people stole from her? Yeah, what a buzz kill! I think that's pretty standard in the music industry, chasing down the scalpers, t-shirt vendors and so on who rip you off.

I tend to go easy in my attitude to this project. As far as I recall it really served to make drummers aware of Buddy Rich in the years when his death was keenly felt. Today, at such a long distance this idea can be missed. Buddy's death was a big deal in the later mid 80's.

Sure many of the drummers who performed were not first call big band players. But most first call nbig band drummers simply did not have the numbers. More people were aware of Matt Sorum than Butch Miles. And the average rock drummer in the 80's was just as ignorant of big band jazz as he or she is today.

If one wants great big band listening experience it is probably better to go to the sourse material. Woody Herman, Lional Hampton, Fletcher Henderson, David Murray, Count Basie etc have ample discs on the market.

You mean she got mad when people stole from her? Yeah, what a buzz kill! I think that's pretty standard in the music industry, chasing down the scalpers, t-shirt vendors and so on who rip you off.

Yeah, I think so, too. But the person telling the story was himself in the same business and thought it was a bit over-the-top. I'll reserve judgment because I didn't see what was happening for myself and she may have very well been right to do so.

Gregg Bissonette can play rock, jazz, and just about anything. During one clinic he did "a jazz guy playing rock" and "a rock guy playing jazz." It was really funny because he nailed it. Peace and goodwill.

What I learned after watching some of this video is that Neil Peart, Kenny Aronoff, and other rockers should not be allowed to play jazz. Ever.

Now I know why jazz players complain about rock players so much.

So is there some kinda special musical license needed to play jazz.
This horse has been beat to death! It ain't gettin up!!

A bunch of drummers get together to pay homage to one of their drum heros- they step outta their comfort zone and try something different....some were good and some weren't...its was a night of celebration.

Am I missing something?
Can't wait for a NP bash-post

yep...and on this topic I've read similar comments before including but not limited to:

"Bozzio should not have played his Radia cymbals at a Buddy rich Event..."

"Chad Smith?!?! WT...???"

"(so and so) overplayed" and conversely ..."(so and so) underplayed"

"NP still can't swing even in the latest 2008 show..."

I've even read comments disparaging Vinnie's swing from the 1989 show...I remember somewhere...unbelievable.

I take these shows for what they are a Tribute...not an exact reinactment. And I appreciate hearing each players "take" on things....

Again...it beats the hell out of Guitar Hero...or the vast majority of what the mainstream music biz provides these days...

EDIT: I forgot one "Omar Hakim was 'hot dogging' it"....as if Buddy never did this;-)

I take these shows for what they are a Tribute...not an exact re-enactment. And I appreciate hearing each players "take" on things.....

+1 on this.
No one is ever going to play it exactly the same as Buddy anyway, so if that's what people want, watch the original footage and ignore the newer stuff.
There are a couple of guys like Donny Osborne, but...

Going in, you KNOW that guy's who are known for doing Rock aren't going to play "authentic" Jazz, just as "a Jazz guy" isn't going to be able to pull off a hard rock set like a rock drummer would.

I know I'm just a dumb rock drummer, but I loved Aronoff's playing, and Matt Sorum's. Those guys tore it up. You've gotta have perspective or you're gonna find yourself disliking things out of puritanical motives. That's just mental bean-waxing imho.

I was talking to a friend about Robert Plant's concert on Palladia, and he hated it because Plant rearranged a bunch of Zeppelin tunes. I loved it, because Plant rearranged a bunch of Zeppelin tunes. And quite well, and his band was kick-ass.

Back