Stop ear damage!!

I like the Vater ear plugs. They just dampen the noise a good amount and still leave me a nice overall tone. If you have a monitor mix going, it's definitely helpful to put your drums in the monitor mix, even if you just put a mic in the area under your snare right near the bass drum batter to get those two drums in the monitors.

Heh heh heh...I never use anything...I want to hear the music, and I have no hearing loss in my old age....go figure! Played with stacks of Marshalls and Sunn amps behind me all my life....no hearing damage. No tinitus either.

You got lucky.

Take a look at this study: 15% of Classical Musicians Report Hearing Loss

Do you all use your ear plugs even when practicing by yourself? How do you hear your Tommy Igoe playalong tracks?

Particularly for more technical metal, I like to wear actual big earmuffs, like the sort that builders wear, with an ipod nano under the foam in one ear playing a click track.

So what should a beginning drummer, such as myself, do to protect his ears? I don't have the budget to crank out over 100 bucks for an IEM, nor do i even have a use for one.

I am interested in joining with some friends in a band. What would a low budget drummer wear in his ears during a performance? I'm pretty sure we wont have the stuff already mixed and recorded beforehand.

Back