Using UK electrical gear in US

PQleyR

Platinum Member
I'm talking mixers and laptops, low-power devices like that (specifically a Behringer Xenyx mixer and a Macbook Pro). Will the supplied transformers I've already got work ok, or will I need to have an additional transformer if they don't have US/UK voltage switches?

As long as they have a switch that can accept 120 volt 60 cycles AC input line current they will work. Otherwise you will need an adaptor.

My macbook PSU came supplied with UK, European and US-style plugs, which suggests that it'll work with any of those...right?

I imagine that it will if they supplied the plug adaptor. My USA Apple gear only comes with a USA style plug. I would check with the Apple website to be sure.
Some of the electrical devices that I own have a switch that changes the input from 120v to 240V. All you need is the plug adaptor to run them in Europe.

Most electronic gear will handle 110 - 240v no problem. See, thing is most electronic gear nowadays runs on 12VDC and the power plug that comes from the wall goes to a transformer that conditions that power beforehand.

If it's laptops and whatnot you'll be fine. You'll just need an adapter to get the plugin to the wall here in the USA. Whatever will you do with such a svelte connector? Compared to that tank of a plugin that the UK uses. :D

I'm talking mixers and laptops, low-power devices like that (specifically a Behringer Xenyx mixer and a Macbook Pro). Will the supplied transformers I've already got work ok, or will I need to have an additional transformer if they don't have US/UK voltage switches?

Read the writing on the power supply. The MacBook will almost certainly have a switching power supply that can handle 110v or 220V. I know nothing about Macs, but every laptop I've ever owned has had a power supply that can deal with 110 or 240V.

If the device NEEDS 220V you'll need a step-up transformer.

Most electronic gear will handle 110 - 240v no problem. See, thing is most electronic gear nowadays runs on 12VDC and the power plug that comes from the wall goes to a transformer that conditions that power beforehand.

This is an amazingly good point.

Whatever will you do with such a svelte connector? Compared to that tank of a plugin that the UK uses. :D

I'll try not to stick any metal rods into the socket and electrocute myself due to the lack of shutters! Ha!

I notice the reason for my trip has just been made public so for anyone who's interested, myself and Gloryhammer are playing aboard the '70,000 Tons of Metal' cruise at the end of the month.

I notice the reason for my trip has just been made public so for anyone who's interested, myself and Gloryhammer are playing aboard the '70,000 Tons of Metal' cruise at the end of the month.

That bit. It's a metal festival aboard a cruise ship. Leaves Miami on the 27th, doing a loop to Mexico and back. I predict mayhem, and 110v power.

Err on the side of caution and use step up transformers on everything electrical that you carry. Nothing worse than fried electrical equipment.

I know my laptop's fine as it's got a switched-mode PSU. All I'm wondering about is a Behringer Eurorack PSU which is designed to supply power at 18.5v. The mixer it powers is tiny so I'm assuming the current drawn is going to be pretty low with a 230v supply, and so not much higher at 110v, but I am no electrician. I don't have long to sort this out though, I'm leaving on the 25th so I probably don't have long enough to order an equivalent US power supply for this device.

Back