Another singing vid...

Either that or I'm just plain clueless! :)

The guy has emailed me back and seems interested. Says he likes the thought of a female lead singer because there aren't too many in the Cincinnati area. I would suspect that especially true in the classic rock genre. So....I'll talk to the BF tonight and if likes what this guy had to say, then we'll set up a time to meet in person this weekend. Oh my...what have I done???

Guess I better work up a few songs, huh? I did tell him I liked Melissa Etheridge so I have a couple of those I can sing and then last night I was working on Free's All Right Now..That should give him an idea anyways. This will either be awesome or crash and burn for sure!
Reality check on the way....

Stay tuned!

Mary,..just my opinion,but the Live version of "Allright Now",with Paul Rogers and Bad Company just Rocks,with a capitol R.His phrasing and timing are a little different,and he make it a bit more..audience participation friendly.I've also heard some great female covers.

I give you props for taking a tune like that on.Lots of range there.Please post your version....:):)

Steve B

So Steve (Tamadrm)asked me to post my version of all right now. I recorded this tonight. I only first tried this song for the first time last night so it's definitely a work in progress. I guess the question is... If you were a band looking for a singer, would you hire this gal?

Sorry about the angle and visual quality of the vid (and my bad dancing!) but that's what you get when I try to record myself in our small basement. I keep looking behind me because I don't want to fall over my drums! Lol.

Steve, I'd say mine is a version somewhere between Free's and Bad Company's.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202179047431187&l=8034001983159967118

Mary,I have to give you high marks for trying to tackle that tune.It's certainly a classic,but is deceptivly difficult to sing,and get the lead guitar part right.Even the bass and drum parts are just rock solid.

Paul Rogers voice is just an amazing instrument.He takes a single lyric,and kind of does a mini run.

I don't know how many times you've sung or recorded that tune,but I'd bet Even Paul had to do some woodshedding with it.Same with the Christine Agulera version.

I'm not a big fan,but she's got a singular voice,and all the pro,but she said she and her band had to woodshed this tune also.

So overall,I'm no vocal coach but my impression is you have that basic instrument,and that's more than most can say.Just watch your timing and breath control,and focus on the notes.

I also think you did a much better job,then most would do with it.

More importantly,have fun with it.You looked like you were in the vid.Start doing some vocal excises with a metronome,...the same way you practice playing drums.I'm sure you can find some scales to practive on youtube.

Right now,it's just a raw instrument,but a great foundation.

Steve B

Thx, Steve I think you're right. I've only done it a few times so I know there's a lot of work to do. I just wasn't sure I was headed in the right direction. I'll keep working on it....it's one I'd like to get down eventually.

Wow, great singing, Mary! You have a powerful voice. Keep it up!

IMO shemp got caught civilian policing. On forums that's usually a no-no.

Back