Lars Ulrich

I dont like him, he sais he uses what ever kind of drums he uses, but he uses Gretsch

I think Lars is a pretty good drummer in my opinion. I really liked his drumming on .....And Justice for All and Black. It was funny watching him get mad on the Some Kind of Monster DVD when they threw a surprise birthday party for Kirk but never one for Lars.

And yes, Lars plays on Tama, where did you hear he played Gretsch? Never heard that one before.

Last edited:
Lars was one of the first drummers i really got into. I think he complimented Metallica's music perfectly. He is not a technical master, but i mean he co founded metallica! 'Nuff said.

Ive got to disagree that he's over-rated. I never hear anyone say he's the best metal drummer around or even that he's one of the best. I personally like him for his individual style. The parts he played in Puppets and Justice in particular serve the songs very well and no-one else ever would have done them.

And also the napster thing has absolutely nothing to do with his ability or the quality of Metallicas music.

I C, but what is a zappone!?!?!

i have to say that for me lars was a great inspiration in his time. its easy to judge him in this decade and put him and metallica down. i think their last few albums sucked and have left me very disappointed. but the albums up to and including the black album were great. there was that power and super chops. double bass drumming was introduced to south africa through metallica. enter sand man is a wonderful song to cover. it is a great pity that this band peaked so long ago now; and have been scrabbling for success ever since. at one time i would have said that lars was at the top of his game but based on their recent works i would say there are a lot of drummers who could stand in front of him. a warning to all of us confident drinkers. to rank as highly as some folks put him i would like to have seen some skill progression from the man. his personal development was rocket like from a teenager to the making of the black album and then he just wallowed. i hope i always get better as time goes on.

perhaps he should try playing some jazz?

j

Lars to me, does the job for metallica. he definetly can not be considered one of the best drummers around these day's, but aslong as he can drum for metallica im happy. listning to many of there bootlegs, you'l hear that he's getting quite lazy, such as not playing the proper begining to there song motorbreath, and sometimes not playing the double bass for dyers eve. i'd say he hit top notch during there ...and justice for all album, he definetly proved himself to be more then just your everyday thrash drummer. i give him credit for starting my favorite band, and also for keeping the energy in metallica. his drumming may be somewhat simple when comparing to other drummers, but his facial expressions will always be the best lol. I hope he can kick it back up on the their next album, to prove himself worthy of being a really good drummer. im a great fan through all of there albums, including the load era, st-anger, and S&M, and i hope it continues to be like that for there next album.

Until May 2003, they hadn't played Dyer's Eve since Lollapalooza 1992. I got my hands on the bootlegged recording and he was playing the double bass. And to someone like Lars, that is a pretty insane drum track. Not by say, Tomas Haake's standards, but to Lars.. yeah.

I actually think in 1988 Lars was turning into a good drummer. Pity his skills weren't so good later when the Black Album was released, he got lazy IMO.

The fact of the matter is Metallica are has beens. They were making metal to a certain standard that had a large underground following for a while, they had their own metal subculture. I feel it was because of them they brought a lot of heavy music into what is now considered the mainstream. Their old stuff was great. I think with their subsequent fame their music suffered the same thing that a lot of music that has lot's of money backing it suffers from. Over production. With over production things tend to get simplified to the point where they loose their balls. I think his drumming was one of the most noticable thing that suffered because of his ability to only play in direction. Personally I don't care for his drumming when it comes to metal. I have heard many other metal drummers that could put him to shame with their left arm and one foot. But you have to give Lars credit for for his early efforts. He could play dynamically and played pretty fast, he play what the music called for.

I really dislike him for several reasons:

1) His objection to Napster and similar file sharing programs. If it wasn't for tape swapping in the eighties no-one would ever have heard of metallica, so in my opinion biting the hand that feeds you.

2) Sure, if you like their style the drums sound great...... after thirty takes. He cannot deliver the goods in a live situation as he does not have the technical ability to play his own stuff outside of a studio without having plenty of time to get it right.

3) I know people have admitted that he is not the most technical drummer in the world. Its entirely his fault he doesn't get much respect anymore from the drumming community. If he didn't let his ego grow into the out of control monster it has become he would say to himself "hang on i need to work on my technique so i can play better", but no he doesn't do this. So when it comes to show time, instead of playing what you hear on the albums, nice, even, properly done double bass work, you get him just hitting the double bass pedal as fast as he can, which some may say is rockin and intense but its not, it shows lack of control and ability and shows him up for the fraud he is.

4) while i found the black album to be very interesting and inventive, none of the other albums really blew me away, again his ego telling him that he doesn't need to try because he's lars ulrich.

****** END OF RANT*********

1) I don't give a hoot what he does when he's not drumming. He can raise money for PETA for all I care.

2) So you're saying he's a perfectionist? Nothing wrong with that.

3) He gets no respect from the drum community? That's news to me.

4) One album you liked, and the rest you didn't. That doesn't make him a bad drummer. It means his music isn't your taste. Not the same thing, really.

********END OF RESPONSE********

If you go and listen to Master of Puppets and ...And Justice For All (especially the latter) I realised that Lars actually had the potential to make a pretty good drum track. If you listen to the drum part on 'Blackened' (Track 1, AJFA) it's actually pretty technical and has its fair share of time signature changes.

You could almost say he laid down the foundations for modern technical metal drumming. (Alá Mike Portnoy) but obviously as not as refined. I quite like him on these albums and before that. After that, my mind changes, but before 1990, he was quite a good and creative drummer.

DogBreath said:
1) I don't give a hoot what he does when he's not drumming. He can raise money for PETA for all I care.

2) So you're saying he's a perfectionist? Nothing wrong with that.

3) He gets no respect from the drum community? That's news to me.

4) One album you liked, and the rest you didn't. That doesn't make him a bad drummer. It means his music isn't your taste. Not the same thing, really.

********END OF RESPONSE********

Couldn't of said it any better myself.

Breadmonkey said:
4) while i found the black album to be very interesting and inventive, none of the other albums really blew me away, again his ego telling him that he doesn't need to try because he's lars ulrich.

****** END OF RANT*********

If you think the black album is something, then I guess you haven't heard their other albums like Master of Puppets or ...And Justice For All, like I said earlier. Black is nothing compared to those other IMO.

I also agree with Superlow. Whose really would be the right drummer for Metallica? He fits the band perfectly IMO. Don't hate Lars just cause he plays with Metallica and you don't.

Back