Tired of drumming !?

TheDrummerBoy95

OK,I think I have a problem.

This summer (June 08 - August 08) I played like 1-2 hours everyday,and I was quite good for 5 years of drumming. I could make those paradiddles and so much stuff.
Then,I took a 2 month break (I don't think I can call it "break"... I just played once a week,or once in two weeks). And now,the things I could do a while ago,seem impossible.
I've always taken breaks,but with like a 3 hour practice I could handle everything I could do.
Now,it seems impossible. Also, when I play with my band or alone,I just get tired after 45 minutes. This thing also depresses me during the time when I don't play drums. I'm depressed and tired of everything.

What should I do?!:|

Drumming is like a relationship, it has it's ups and downs. You're sound like you're in a down right now. It'll pass. If it doesn't, maybe you need to break up with this drum kit and start seeing a different drum kit.

Larry gave some great advice...

However, I also have to say that, as you get more advanced, there is more risk of this happening. Muscles start "forgetting" their muscle memory in less than two weeks. My dad, who might sit behind a kit twice a year, can still play basic beats, basic fills, and keep great temp, but he can't do any of the cool stuff he did when he was a practicing drummer.

Think of it like lifting weights. If you were a daily weight lifter, and could bench 240, you wouldn't expect, after two months of not lifting at all, to be able to do even close to that.

It happenend to me as well, and I stopped playing for many years. The familly and my regular job were taking a lot of my time. Although I was listening music all the time, I wasnt very motivated in playing drums anymore.

A year ago, I got involved in a very interesting music project and suddenly the motivation came back like magic and I started to practice again. This is when I noticed that I had some serious work to do to get back in shape.

For me, to have the motiviation to practice, I need a goal. But I have noticed also that no matter what, the music in inside you, and you sooner or later you will get that motivation back again.

Ditto that. I stopped playing for many, many years to start a business career and then a family came along. I thought my drumming days were over, except for the occasional gig in church or youth choir playing simple percussion instruments. And then my wife divorced me and BANG! something wonderful happened. My oldest daughter gave me a pair of drum sticks from the Hard Rock Cafe in London. Really cool sticks. I started playing on an old practice pad I had laying around from my drumming days and I started really liking it again. I got the old 5 piece kit out of the closet and started playing.

Of course I sounded like crap, but I began to practice. I put new heads on the drums, bought new stands, new cymbals, and some more equipment and thoroughly began to enjoy practicing again. After my full-time job responsibilities, I couldn't wait to get home and practice. I now play in a band and have done some additional work on the side. I still need to really practice and concentrate, but the fire is there still. I'm questioning why I ever left drumming, I'm enjoying it so much. And I returned more knowledgable and dedicated to drumming than I ever was when I was in my youth.

Sometime breaks are good and can be productive.....

Getting tired of drumming is probably normal. I'm sure the real professionals our there have their share of ups and downs and times when they are tired.

Hang in there!

Ditto that. I stopped playing for many, many years to start a business career and then a family came along. I thought my drumming days were over, except for the occasional gig in church or youth choir playing simple percussion instruments. And then my wife divorced me and BANG! something wonderful happened. My oldest daughter gave me a pair of drum sticks from the Hard Rock Cafe in London. Really cool sticks. I started playing on an old practice pad I had laying around from my drumming days and I started really liking it again. I got the old 5 piece kit out of the closet and started playing.

THAT is cool, good for you man, really. Puts it in perspective for any of us that have hit that proverbial "wall"...Its not a silly fad like the new cool video game that just came out, or realizing that all of the sudden, you like eggplant, or even what you may have thought was the love(edited) sorry...Its an art and its a part of you, and it ll stick with you till the day you cant pick up a set of sticks. Yeah it loses its appeal sometimes, and we also lose motivation from time to time. But we re stuck with it so just enjoy it when you can. I m rambling...

Back