Dream Theater's new drummer is MIKE MANGINI

Re: Dream Theater's new drummer

Left work early so I could check out episode 2 of Drum Idol :)

Mike and Marco seemed to have the best chemistry with the band both musically and personally. A bummer about the sound during Derek's spot - made it impossible to get a decent comparison on the vids. It goes without saying that they're all scary hot players.

Interesting that DT wanted the candidates to play Mike P's parts but didn't tell them beforehand. I'm guessing it was part of the test - to see who'd pick up on the need to give the fans what they want.

For personal chemistry, it still looks like Mike ... they're after a "family member".

With interviews it's well-known that going first and last makes you more memorable. Downside when that you're first is sometimes the interviewers are yet to get into their stride. It didn't seem that way for Mike so that was way in his favour. Downside of going last is interview fatigue, if there are lots of candidates. Second and in the middle are the worst spots from what I've seen.

Most Sucessfull bands will want to hear the Original Part and allow for each drummers interpretitation,so long as it does not get too far away from the idea

As far as the "playing it like the original" aspect, I too was struck by that statement as odd, given Jordan has never fully stuck to Kevin or Derek's keyboard parts, and Mike Portnoy often said he improvised so much in the studio that live he didn't play the same fills as the record.

So I re-watched it again last night, and what Jordan said was not that it has to the note for note like the original, but it has to have the "feel" of the original.

I think that is an important difference.

Not at all....actually it was quite the opposite. I was really comfortable around them and with the "process".

I have a gut feeling that something more musically 'in tune' with you will knock at your door. I think you made a great choice in auditioning with DT because you got to jam with them and more importantly that scores of other bands will be watching this audition process. It's almost a certainty that the right group for you will be knocking soon!

\m/ \m/ !

Well, just got a reply back about the audio and shortage of footage on this Documentary.

Rick Ernst
Add to contacts
To Derek Roddy

Attachments, pictures and links in this message have been blocked for your safety.
Show content | Always show content from Ernst

"Good ear my friend! See below

Yes it's camera audio. The logic session was corrupt. Maddi and Paul tried everything they could but were unsuccessful. We even gave Paul a multitrack of all of our camera audio from all mics... He took a stab at it but didn't make much difference. There was nothing anyone could do to make that section sound much better :-/

Over the Edge Productions"

So apparently...that effected how much "view time" I got overall.
Oh well.....it was a lot of fun. Haha.

D
Cool to see you got the Audition it must feel good to big in with the BIG boys
you are the 1st Exteme drrummer to Elevate to the next level congrats/
They also liked your blast..
Tim

Mike posted this on his website not too long ago: (New "Mike Mangini" and "Rhythm Knowledge" sites will hopefully be coming in May.) Is it just a coincidence that two new sites will be launched so close to the announcement of Dream Theater's new drummer announcement? I think not!! Mike is Dream Theater's new drummer. Having met him some years ago I can honestly say he is one of the friendliest, sharing, and dynamic drummers around.

Last edited:

What they didn't show (from all of the drummers) and, I knew they wouldn't....

Was when us drummers threw out some complex and confusing stuff to see what THEY would do with it.
In my case.... I threw out a layered rhythm (2 over 3) and not a one of them had any idea what to do with it. Haha.

But, you know they aren't going to show that! Haha.

This is a really important point, I think, regarding the "competition" element involved here.
The player who best fits this particular band's idea of the ideal drummer gets the gig. The guy who gets hired for this gig may not be the best fit for some other band, and the guy who doesn't get some other gig might be the best fit for this one.

Everyone who ever tries out for a gig and doesn't get it, or gets fired from a gig, should keep this thought in the foreground.

This is a really important point, I think, regarding the "competition" element involved here.
The player who best fits this particular band's idea of the ideal drummer gets the gig. The guy who gets hired for this gig may not be the best fit for some other band, and the guy who doesn't get some other gig might be the best fit for this one.

Everyone who ever tries out for a gig and doesn't get it, or gets fired from a gig, should keep this thought in the foreground.

well said................

@ Derek: holy crap man, 100 snakes? And they are phytons, so I (ignorantly) assume they are not venomous, so again I (ignorantly) assume you don't use them for anti-venom extraction...so, out of curiosity, how the heck do you make money with these snakes? (just plainly curious)

@ everyone else: did you guys see the part where Petrucci said he went on Forums to find out about drummers, and that's how he found Land, and others, etc? I thought these guys, being the the kick ass musicians that they are, touring around the world, etc, they would know all about all the best drummers out there. But no, they had to do what any mortal would do, like myself when I started drumming 6 months ago: come in here and hear all about Thomas Lang, JoJo mayer, etc.

Speaking of that, chances are Petrucci was on this very site, reading your very words, and our very threads about what we thought went down when Portnoy left, and who we thought should replace him. THAT'S A TRIP!!!!!!

Mostly I was caught by the reference made by Petrucci that they picked up on interest in Lange from forums. I've always felt that more people read these things than care to admit.

@ everyone else: did you guys see the part where Petrucci said he went on Forums to find out about drummers, and that's how he found Land, and others, etc? I thought these guys, being the the kick ass musicians that they are, touring around the world, etc, they would know all about all the best drummers out there. But no, they had to do what any mortal would do, like myself when I started drumming 6 months ago: come in here and hear all about Thomas Lang, JoJo mayer, etc.

I mentioned in another thread Dream Theater were one of the first bands to really embrace the internet.

Back in the mid-90's, when most people were still on dial up and using AOL, you could actually go on AOL to their Dream Theater board and post back and forth with Portnoy, Derek Sherinian, Mike's sister, and their former vocalist Charlie Dominici. Everyone in the band had an AOL account, so you know they all read what was being said, even if not every member posted.

I remember the first time Portnoy replied to a post I made! I had made a comment about Mike being slightly off at the start of one of their songs the night before, and he replied I was indeed correct, that his monitor had gone out right then and he couldn't hear the song intro. At the time, I was pretty floored the band could be do down to earth to just chat with fans like that online.

So, it really doesn't surprise me Petrucci would use forums to find information.

People complain about WFD, but here you have Mike competing for one of the hottest thrones around.
Not just Mike...Minneman was also briefly in it. He's still ranked 25th. Lange had serious thoughts too...bought the Drumometer and everything. Back in the day a bunch of the top technicians were involved. But that was another time.

So i posted the Audition Videos on Drummerworld:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/mikemanginidream.html

My guess: after seeing all these overskilled drummers - judged by laymen - what a shame - and to satisfy all the airdrummers out there, who want the original licks: Mike Portnoy gives a comeback finally very soon...

Bernhard

I found that odd too.

On the one hand they are looking for a new drummer, a new family member, and on the other, they want the drummer who sounds like Portnoy the most.

Mangini happens to come closest to the requirement so far ( imo ) , but when they talked about Lanf & Vigril doing some interpretation, which I foolishly thought was a good thing, they made it sound like a negative.

I thought all music was interpretive. Even classical, which is interpreted by a conductor. Obviously I dont understand this genre.

So i posted the Audition Videos on Drummerworld:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/mikemanginidream.html

My guess: after seeing all these overskilled drummers - judged by laymen - what a shame - and to satisfy all the airdrummers out there, who want the original licks: Mike Portnoy gives a comeback finally very soon...

Bernhard

Thanks for posting the individual drummers so I don't have to stream the whole 22 minutes.

Not just Mike...Minneman was also briefly in it. He's still ranked 25th. Lange had serious thoughts too...bought the Drumometer and everything. Back in the day a bunch of the top technicians were involved. But that was another time.

I didn't know that about Minnemann, though excessive speed is not his thing. But when he does those poly-rhythms that is another story. He really composes solos for the drum set like he's writing a piece of classical music. I guess he's German after all. Now if you're going to tell me he improvises those things, I really be impressed.:)

I found that odd too.

On the one hand they are looking for a new drummer, a new family member, and on the other, they want the drummer who sounds like Portnoy the most.

Mangini happens to come closest to the requirement so far ( imo ) , but when they talked about Lang & Vigil doing some interpretation, which I foolishly thought was a good thing, they made it sound like a negative.

I thought all music was interpretive. Even classical, which is interpreted by a conductor. Obviously I don't understand this genre.

That is the thing that I grew weary of with prog, and then a really found jazz. Many of the progressive rock bands prided themselves on improvisation. But by and large, if you had heard their latest live album, or heard them on the King Biscuit Flower Hour, the upcoming show did not differentiate much. So maybe you're giving us a little insight into why Mike Portnoy is a bit tired. His creative mind needs to be kept flowing in new directions.

These guys are not getting any younger. Jordan Rudess is in his mid-50s, and it seems that they have some new ideas that can't wait. Five years in the life of a singer pushing 50 is a lifetime. You see guys doing this in their 60s; but when you talking about heavy metal singing, it's something best left for the young with a few exceptions here and there.

You know, he's spelled Thomas Lang!!! LOL

Haroldo is obviously taking about Marco Polo. Matt's got Jessica Lange on his mind. I have no idea what I meant.

Aight, time to cheer on our other DW brother drummer, Peter Wildoer, on the next episode.

GO, PETER!!!

... what a shame - and to satisfy all the airdrummers out there, who want the original licks

I found that odd too.

... they talked about Lanf (just twisting the knife :) & Vigril doing some interpretation, which I foolishly thought was a good thing, they made it sound like a negative.

I thought all music was interpretive. Even classical, which is interpreted by a conductor. Obviously I dont understand this genre.

So maybe you're giving us a little insight into why Mike Portnoy is a bit tired. His creative mind needs to be kept flowing in new directions.

Yes, but we're talking about the music business. People pay big money for their expectations to be met. They love the old DT standards and they're hanging out to hear the hero fill at the end of the bridge or whatever. To mess with it would almost be akin to Phil Collins improvising the signature fill of In the Air. No one's going to mess with the da-da-da-das in Beethoven's 5th either. To avid fans I expect those MP parts are simply part of the song.

Thing is, while the situation isn't perfect, it's not as though the band's playing hoary old standards by rote - they are making a good living playing complex, exciting non-standard music which no doubt gives them a huge buzz. How many musos have the chance to stretch out like that and make good money these days? After all, many play money beat variations for their supper and often without variation between versions as well.

This would be an incredible gig for drummers with an appetite for prog metal and the facility to handle it, even if they are required to retain the essence of MP's parts. No doubt they'll have much more freedom with new songs.

Thing is, while the situation isn't perfect, it's not as though the band's playing hoary old standards by rote - they are making a good living playing complex, exciting non-standard music which no doubt gives them a huge buzz. How many musos have the chance to stretch out like that and make good money these days? After all, many play money beat variations for their supper and often without variation between versions as well.
Good point.

Good point.

I should add that playing money beats for your supper is pretty good fate in itself. No doubt better in many ways than sitting in an office doing dry numbers stuff in cold aircon. That highlights what a rare opportunity this is for the right kind of player. No wonder someone like Mike Mangler is so excited!

Back