Lars Ulrich

Joey Jordison was too overpowering, he's a phenominal drummer but he over did Lars' parts when they did songs with him. Dave Lombardo is is the god of double bass drum thunder, and he didn't do bad for the 2 1/2 minutes of playing time with the band as of what I saw. Him doing battery was good. I love Dave so i'm not going to speak against him.

Yeah, Slayers drummer might be one of the only people who actually might fit.
But I don't think it would be right.

Yeah, Slayers drummer might be one of the only people who actually might fit.
But I don't think it would be right.

yeah he has a diffrent sound than lars but idk y i think this but vinnie paul wouldn't be all that bad either

I caught Metallica live in thier heyday. I loved Lar's white/black tama kit. It's an icon of metal in my book.

Those guys blew the roof off for 3 hours. I enjoy Lar's work, and aside from air-drumming at the show, he made me go home and play harder.

In fact, when my new kit gets done, I'd like to play MOP and Battery.

Incidentally, those who bash pro drummers are the lowest form of life right down there with slime molds. I don't want this forum to fill up with that kind of individual.

I caught Metallica live in thier heyday. I loved Lar's white/black tama kit. It's an icon of metal in my book.

Those guys blew the roof off for 3 hours. I enjoy Lar's work, and aside from air-drumming at the show, he made me go home and play harder.

In fact, when my new kit gets done, I'd like to play MOP and Battery.

Incidentally, those who bash pro drummers are the lowest form of life right down there with slime molds. I don't want this forum to fill up with that kind of individual.

I love that kit so much, I made it my avatar

Early Metallica has some impressive thrash drumming that was fresh and inspiring. I would have to agree that Lars playing has gotten less imaginative and sloppy as time has worn on. Not a slam on lars or saying I'm better or anything like that I just find the drums on the first 4 albums much more inspired than the later albums.

As far as the production sound they use for his playing Death Magnetic is better St. Anger was horrible. I would have to agree with the posters here that feel Metallica has grown redundant.

Heres a guy who can certainly do the older Lars parts quite well matter o fact aside from the singer this is a most awesome cover of a most awesome song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMauyB8zaKQ&feature=related

Hahaha are you kidding me? Metallica wouldn't be without Lars.
It's HIS and James' band.

I meant as a drummer, I didnt say he was a bad musician.

Exactly.
There is no other drummer that could fit in Metallica
i agree wholeheartedly no other drummer has the same mixture of speed and rhythm that would also atribute to the overall sound as well as lars

I believe in the exact opposite of what you just said, which proves further more that its all subjective really, so arguing at this point wont make any sense.

Do we comment on when Metallica was a metal or an alternative band?

I think most of us can agree what the holy trinity of Metallica albums are (Lightning, Master, Justice). Kill 'em all was good but not great. The Black Album abandoned thrash completely, and the Load albums, well...they sucked. I mean SUCKED. "Fuel"? Seriously?

Lars was/is (?) an awesome drummer. Not the best--he's no Lombardo (one of his more talented thrash peer)--but very good, very influential. Death Magnetic is much, MUCH better than anything they've done for the past twenty years or so, but it's too little too late. Lars is a good drummer, but I think he spends most of his time trying to be a good businessman.

1)

4) One album you liked, and the rest you didn't. That doesn't make him a bad drummer. It means his music isn't your taste. Not the same thing, really.

Really, this was interesting. The poster you responded to said the "Black album" was interesting. LMMFAO...it was on that album that Lars and Metallica themselves said they scaled things down to the very basics...less time changes, shorter songs, easier riffs, less complicated structures. And the poster who complained about him said THIS was the album of interest.

This tells me, said poster has no clue about Metallica or simply doesn't like the band.

NO ONE can deny Lars WAS getting good in the 1980s...his improvement from Kill Em All to ...And Justice For All is fact, it's on tape. It's proven. I also saw them gig numerous times and he handled his craft well.

Now...after Black I'll admit Lars vanished as a drummer, he absolutely didn't get any better and seemed to regress as Metallica became a half-assed cover band/alt-grunge/rap/country/whatever they became band following Black.

Black album was an easier album to play on drums than the previous couple albums, but Lars rocked that album...his feel behind the kit was very instinctive.

Some of the complexity on ...And Justice For All was out of the Neal Peart book of drumming (before I get blasted for this, YES Neal is better by a mile). Frayed Ends of Sanity and Blackened are two ball kicking drum songs.

dunno if anyone has mentioned this already, but Lars had a ride on his kit for the first bunch of dates on the American tour goin on currently, but for the last bunch of dates its been taken out.

I'm a huge 'Tallica fan, its a real shame his playing his gotten so sloppy over the last 15 years.

dunno if anyone has mentioned this already, but Lars had a ride on his kit for the first bunch of dates on the American tour goin on currently, but for the last bunch of dates its been taken out.

I'm a huge 'Tallica fan, its a real shame his playing his gotten so sloppy over the last 15 years.

He did use a ride during songs like "Ride the Lightning" "Until it Sleeps", "Bleeding Me", etc.
Not much during the thrash songs.

"Zildjian cymbals are not just the best cymbals, but the ONLY cymbals". (Lars Ulrich)

"He has been known to use a mixture of brands when recording in the studio, including Sabian Cymbals". (Wikipedia)

>___<

Last edited:
They didn't actually play half those songs as you hear them.

Interesting. Lars must have lip-drummed in concert. I saw the guy play nearly every song off ...And Justice for All and he played them flawlessly.

The fact you read 'he can't play' is easily refuted by the knowledge that I saw him play those songs off ..And Justice For All and he certainly wasn't sloppy nor did he make a fool of himself.

Back