Lars Ulrich

I'm probably the last person one can accuse of hating Lars... I mean, I actually realized that drums were a part of music after listening to Metallica when I was a kid. And I learned all his parts by heart without ever having played the drums. I still know all of them and with practise I guess I can play any Metallica song right off the bat. So he's a huge influence on me. But... what the hell is wrong with him on Death Magnetic? The drum parts are totally uninspired and... it just isn't Lars... I was so very much disappointed. I mean, it's a good album, the songs are cool, but the drums... Nothing, absolutely nothing of any value.

I never really understood this kind of "argument".

It's usually the last (blow your wad) attempt to try to prove a point, which in itself gives solid evidence of where the individual is in thier drumming abilities. It's a natural retort when all other avenues of personal opinion and preferrence have been exausted. Chances are that the one asked will not be able to give clear evidence to the accusation/question. But man, is it sweet when its responded to with conviction and proof.

I don't know why I even commented on that.. lol

OK, let me say that I am a huge Metallica fan and the first 4 albums inspire me to this day. That said, I really hate Lars. He is full of himself, whiney and bad and drums. There, I said it. Sorry.

Absolutely. I'm tired of listening to people rave about Ulrich. He's probably the most overrated drummer of our time. He lacks creativity, and it's just plain boring for the most part. I didn't mind Kill Em All, but the rest of his work is just...lacking. His live fills are half hearted and messy. Of course letting the music ring out is important, but I think this guy took it way too far (if those were even his intentions to begin with, sounding the way he does.) To sum it up, it just sounds unbelievably half-hearted and boring to me, all in all.
Travis Barker and Ringo Starr are way way more overrated.

If you listen to Lars without a band over the top he's incredibly sloppy. I can hardly believe they used this as an album take, like someone said in the comments below the video. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pDoUSHjKJhk

Right! Lars is an amazing drumming, listen to anything from the Justice album thoses songs are so tight and the drumming is hard. Leave Lars alone he's my fav drummer, along with Dave McClain, Travis Barker, Dave Lombardo and Brad Wilk along with many others. Enough Said

Right! Lars is an amazing drumming, listen to anything from the Justice album thoses songs are so tight and the drumming is hard. Leave Lars alone he's my fav drummer, along with Dave McClain, Travis Barker, Dave Lombardo and Brad Wilk along with many others. Enough Said

I used to be a huge fan of Metallica and I used to think the drumming on ...and Justice for All was awesome, until I learned that Flemming Rasmussen, the producer, spliced various things together to compose the songs in the studio with the guys. They didn't actually play half those songs as you hear them. Plus, Lars refuses to play "Dyer's Eve" live, because he can't actually sustain that speed on the bass drums, messes up a lot and makes a fool of himself. This would be another reason why they hate playing the songs from Justice, since they are so "hard". So, they went to playing dumbed-down AC/DC crap afterwards.

The only thing I really like about CockRocktallica are the LYRICS on the early records, pertaining to their political ideologies, which mostly I agree with.

Lars could have been much more than he is. IMHO he stopped growing and started counting money. He is a better arranger and producer/motivator than he is a drummer. I can not listen to his latest work...

I used to be a huge fan of Metallica and I used to think the drumming on ...and Justice for All was awesome, until I learned that Flemming Rasmussen, the producer, spliced various things together to compose the songs in the studio with the guys. They didn't actually play half those songs as you hear them. Plus, Lars refuses to play "Dyer's Eve" live, because he can't actually sustain that speed on the bass drums, messes up a lot and makes a fool of himself. This would be another reason why they hate playing the songs from Justice, since they are so "hard". So, they went to playing dumbed-down AC/DC crap afterwards.
The only thing I really like about CockRocktallica are the LYRICS on the early records, pertaining to their political ideologies, which mostly I agree with.

Really now? AC/DC is crap?
CockRocktallica?

My god, I have to stay off this thread. I'm going to get myself banned going off on people like you. You people drive me up a wall when you bash Lars, and for a hot-head like me, that's bad.

Normally I would, or maybe put a well thought out theory to condradict your statement. But I don't have the time or will to.

But your on my "most hated" list for saying AC/DC crap.

EDIT: God I love posting this
207kw02.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know why, but lately I'm really getting into old Metallica (esp. Master of Puppets). Hard to believe these albums are 20 years old now.

Great stuff. I find myself singing out loud with my headphones on at work. The lyrics are probably scaring my work neighbors. But they think I'm insane anyway.

Does anyone have any bootlegs of their 80's live shows? I'm wondering how well Lars played on them. I've never heard any and the stories of Lars not playing the old, fast stuff aren't limited to the drummer forums, that's for sure.

Really now? AC/DC is crap?
CockRocktallica?

My god, I have to stay off this thread. I'm going to get myself banned going off on people like you. You people drive me up a wall when you bash Lars, and for a hot-head like me, that's bad.

Normally I would, or maybe put a well thought out theory to condradict your statement. But I don't have the time or will to.

But your on my "most hated" list for saying AC/DC crap.

Wow.

AC/DC had a couple good tunes in the 70's and early 80's, but they decided to formulate a style that varies very little over the years, to the point of utter redundancy. I don't think Back in Black and the records before are crap at all. I think that they have written the same two or three songs over and over and over in the years after "...Black" and TO ME, they have become stale. "Big Gun" might be the only fairly unique song they've done in nearly three decades, IN MY OPINION.

Lars is a good drummer for what ...tallica plays. But the hero worship thing doesn't change the fact that he hacked his way through the drum parts for ...Justice and Flemming Rasmussen had to create usable tracks with heavy editing. That's just printed history. That doesn't mean I don't like the album, in fact it's my fave. I'm just not going to bow down and worship Lars' drumming.

The common denominator with AC and ...tallica, is that they have IN MY OPINION overextended a style to a point of ad nauseum and appear to be more interested in money, than progress.

IMO, he's somewhat mediocre, really overrated too. I'm not saying he should be a Chambers or an Adler, but he's just too Begginer-ish for my taste, In fact I think Metallica would have been better off without him. Most of his material isnt that original tbh, this has nothing to do with my not liking Metallica tho, he just doesnt impress me as a drummer, he's a bit of a wanker too.

P.S. First post btw hello!, wew.

By the way, Metallica is basically his band, so that would explain why they haven't gotten rid of him :p If anyone was wondering.

IMO, he's somewhat mediocre, really overrated too. I'm not saying he should be a Chambers or an Adler, but he's just too Begginer-ish for my taste, In fact I think Metallica would have been better off without him. Most of his material isnt that original tbh, this has nothing to do with my not liking Metallica tho, he just doesnt impress me as a drummer, he's a bit of a wanker too.

P.S. First post btw hello!, wew.

Hahaha are you kidding me? Metallica wouldn't be without Lars.
It's HIS and James' band.

Exactly.
There is no other drummer that could fit in Metallica

Joey Jordison was too overpowering, he's a phenominal drummer but he over did Lars' parts when they did songs with him. Dave Lombardo is is the god of double bass drum thunder, and he didn't do bad for the 2 1/2 minutes of playing time with the band as of what I saw. Him doing battery was good. I love Dave so i'm not going to speak against him.

Back