Gibraltar Intruder

ddrum_master

I've been been thinking about buying a Gibraltar Intruder direct drive pedal, but I haven't gotten a chance to play them yet because the Guitar Center near me doesn't carry them in stock. I would just buy a Demon Drive, but I don't have that kind of money. I'm set on a direct drive though(not axis or trick either). Also, if anyone has any info on the Yamaha Flying Dragon direct drive I would also be greatly appreciative as well. Thanks.

-ddrum_master

I've been been thinking about buying a Gibraltar Intruder direct drive pedal, but I haven't gotten a chance to play them yet because the Guitar Center near me doesn't carry them in stock. I would just buy a Demon Drive, but I don't have that kind of money. I'm set on a direct drive though(not axis or trick either). Also, if anyone has any info on the Yamaha Flying Dragon direct drive I would also be greatly appreciative as well. Thanks.

-ddrum_master

Just my opinion, but I don't think much of the demon drive. I've liked every Yamaha pedal I've played but I haven't played the new flying dragons. Can't help you with the Gibralter pedals. I've always wonder about the linear motion pedal they make. The concept seems good, but that may not translate to the actual pedal though. Have you played one?

-ddrum_master
I have a set of flying dragons from a year or two ago, they're awesome. Very fast and once you get used to them you can get all kinds of control.

Personally, I think Gibraltars are a great pedal for the price. The feel is great and they are pretty sturdy. I would suggest trying one out to see if you dig it. You may even want to give the strap drive a try, it's extremely smooth.

However, I do not extend these comments to the Catapult (the linear motion pedal). I'm not sure what possessed them to try that, but my experiences with that pedal were full of sad face. The length and action of the pedal require changes in your setup and technique, which in my opinion should never be the case for a bit of hardware.

A guy came in to the Guitar Center I work at a few days ago, and said pretty much the same thing. It wasn't you was it?
Intruders are hard to find. I can tell you though, while the Demon Drive has a lot of adjustments, it doesn't really play too well. They are kinda heavy, lighter than an Iron Cobra, but heavier than Axis. The DD slave pedal has a good bit of lag too. I like the old school elims better than DD. I don't know of anywhere that has Intruders in stock, most GC's have DW, Pearl, PDP and entry level Sound Percussion. You could take a chance and just order the Gibralter online, but it will feel weird at first it you have been using chain driven pedals versus direct drive.

A guy came in to the Guitar Center I work at a few days ago, and said pretty much the same thing. It wasn't you was it?
Intruders are hard to find. I can tell you though, while the Demon Drive has a lot of adjustments, it doesn't really play too well. They are kinda heavy, lighter than an Iron Cobra, but heavier than Axis. The DD slave pedal has a good bit of lag too. I like the old school elims better than DD. I don't know of anywhere that has Intruders in stock, most GC's have DW, Pearl, PDP and entry level Sound Percussion. You could take a chance and just order the Gibralter online, but it will feel weird at first it you have been using chain driven pedals versus direct drive.

Since you work at a GC and have had the chance to play around with the DD's I have a question for you. I've only played them at GC's, and I haven't spent much time trying to adjust them, but everyone I've played seemed to have an average feel for most of the stroke. The problem I see with them is with about the last inch or inch and a half of the stroke before the beater hits the head. It's like at that point the pedal takes on a entirely new spring tension that is much tighter. If you stroke the pedal slowly throught he entire stroke you can really feel it. Playing fast this gets kind of lost and just makes the pedal feel funky. Is this just a matter of everyone I've played being poorly adjusted of is this the overall feel of the pedal?

Yeah dude, that was totally me. lol.

Just my opinion, but I don't think much of the demon drive. I've liked every Yamaha pedal I've played but I haven't played the new flying dragons. Can't help you with the Gibralter pedals. I've always wonder about the linear motion pedal they make. The concept seems good, but that may not translate to the actual pedal though. Have you played one?

I haven't played one, but I've heard a lot of bad things about them. Play one first if you are thinking about getting one. So what can you tell my about the direct drive yamaha flying dragons?

I haven't played one, but I've heard a lot of bad things about them. Play one first if you are thinking about getting one. So what can you tell my about the direct drive yamaha flying dragons?

I wasn't thinking about getting one. I've seen ads for them but that's it. I was just wondering if you knew anything more about them then I do since you were asking about Gibralter.

Every Yamaha pedal I've played has had a consistent and smooth stroke. That even includes their least expensive pedals. My own preference though is for a strap rather then direct drive or a chain. I'm sure though that if you want a direct drive and go with a Yamaha you won't be disappointed. Doesn't GC take things like pedals back in trade within so many days if you choose a pedal you don't care for? If that's true, don't shy away from taking advantage of a trade in.

Doesn't GC take things like pedals back in trade within so many days if you choose a pedal you don't care for? If that's true, don't shy away from taking advantage of a trade in.

Yeah, you can exchange at GC within 30 days. You can also trade in used pedals towards new ones, as long as they are in good condition.

The consensus among most people is that the Demon Drive isn't that great. A tad bit overhyped. It has a lot of adjustments, and is well made, but the feel of the slave pedal is not very good. Every once in a while someone will come along and swear the DD "changed their playing and the can play way faster, and more control...etc..." so I guess that just goes down to personal preference.

Check ebay for used pedals too, I just got used Axis A single in good condition on there for $100 bucks. They go for over $200 new.

Back