Female drummers?

T.Y

I'm a male to start of with, but just wondering how many female drummers are there around?any at all here in this forum?

toeKNEE said:
yes, i imagine he does

i know i do

chick drummers are hott (even the ugly ones)

well like he said, i do like chick drummers
but when i started this thread i didnt really think about that, i was just wondering how many female drummers are there out there, considering there arent many i know, and if you do look at the drummers page of this site, theres very few female drummers compared to male drummers

I kinda like the idea of female drummers, but the only one I've ever met is my cousin. A girl is a girl, the talent she comes with can only be a bonus right?

I'm a female drummer.

I've only been here a couple days so far, but I've already seen a few girls here. It's nice to see, since I don't know many female drummers in real life. It's also nice to see that people are mature here unlike some other places I've been too, and you don't freak out and demand pics as soon as you discover someone is female.

girl drummers are the hottest female musicians, if she can tear up the drums, i can dig her

I think its pretty cool when i see a female drummer. I've heard people say, "oh, girls can't drum." but i dont know why someone would think that. I've seen girl drummerss that are better than a lot of the guys i know.

There are girls who can drum, and girls who can't. Just like guys. Only two things potentially bug me about girl drummers, and they're the same two things that bug me about girls in any other traditionally male-dominated field:

- Anger against the men and assuming that she isn't welcome because she's a girl (which, to be fair, is usually because she takes crap all the time and usually goes away as long as you don't goggle and say "But ... you're ... a ... GIRL!!!")
- Looking up to some really crap drummers just because they're women. Okay, I should say 'woman', because the only one I can think of offhand is Meg White. It's like a chef-in-training idolizing Chef Boyardee.

There are even some history-making female drummers, like the woman who invented the 'humpback shuffle'. I'd have to look her name up. And aren't all 'chick bands' pretty much all chicks? Like Shonen Knife or Cibo Matto or Luscious Jackson ...

It's funny, I think I was less surprised to find out some drummers were female than to find out that Jimi Hendrix's drummer was white!

I've thankfully never had anyone tell me I can't play or exclude me from anything because I'm a girl. I've always been treated pretty much the same as any other drummer, except sometimes I'll get people coming up to me saying "wow a girl drummer, that's so cool". I've never had any experiences with sexism or anything though when it comes to drumming.

Bonham15 said:
I I've heard people say, "oh, girls can't drum." but i dont know why someone would think that.

Let them see a clip of Terry Lynn Carrington or Hilary Jones - I'm sure they will change their tune....

Well I'm a girl and I've been playing for now 5 years.
It looks like we're like 5 or 6 on this forum!!! It's kind of funny cuz female drummers are so underrated. I don't know if some of you think like that but...I really don't know why!...
**There are girls who can play some Portnoy!!! (well I can!! And I know some!)** :)

Lightbulb Sun said:
I'm a female drummer.

I've only been here a couple days so far, but I've already seen a few girls here. It's nice to see, since I don't know many female drummers in real life. It's also nice to see that people are mature here unlike some other places I've been too, and you don't freak out and demand pics as soon as you discover someone is female.
Hey! Would you look who it is! Haha.

-DM

Well hello there, I didn't know you were on this forum! haha

cervitalle_decay said:
Well I'm a girl and I've been playing for now 5 years.
It looks like we're like 5 or 6 on this forum!!! It's kind of funny cuz female drummers are so underrated. I don't know if some of you think like that but...I really don't know why!...
**There are girls who can play some Portnoy!!! (well I can!! And I know some!)** :)
I can play some Portnoy too :)
I have a keyboardist friend who is insanely awesome who can play like Jordan Rudess too! Once we find a bassist, and convince our guitarist to stop hating dream theater, we're going to play The Dance of Eternity and Stream of Conciousness.

Stormi said:
I think a lot of "non-drumming" people (or anybody with no knowledge of drums) think females can't play, solely because they think you need to be strong to play drums. They don't realise it's more endurance than muscle size.
Most "non-drumming" people have no idea what drumming is in the first place. "All you do is hit things!"

-DM

Back