post-apocalyptic fiction?

MythicalMonkey

Am I the only one who obsesses over these kind of books? It seem after watching "I Am Legend", and playing Both Fallout 3 and New Vegas 4 times each, I have became interested in the literate counterparts of these genres. Am i the only one who reads these books? I know absolutely no one else who does.

Am I the only one who obsesses over these kind of books? It seem after watching "I Am Legend", and playing Both Fallout 3 and New Vegas 4 times each, I have became interested in the literate counterparts of these genres. Am i the only one who reads these books? I know absolutely no one else who does.

I watch movies! such as "The Road", "I Am Legend", and other ones such as that.

I saw "A Boy and His Dog" a few weeks ago on Netflix (1975, Don Johnson). It's really cheesy and low budget, but I ended up enjoying it a fair amount.

And then, obviously, all the Mad Max movies.

Can't think of any books.

I tend to enjoy such movies, even those with Kevin Costner. I haven't had a chance to read too many post-apocalyptic books though.

My favorite post-apocalyptic fiction subgenre happens to be zombie apocalypse... I'm really enjoying the Walking Dead miniseries, having read the comics. I also really liked Max Brooks' World War Z. But I will totally understand if some of you "purists" pooh-pooh my tastes... (chuckles)

I like my apocalypses served with humour. Ben Elton's Stark and Douglas Adams's Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy did it for me - the books, not the abysmal movie remakes.

Last edited:
I also loved The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It has popped up a few times already in this thread. Fantastic novel, though very depressing, not everyones cup of tea.

More on the futuristic Sci-Fi side of things, I loved Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard. Hubbard cops a lot of flak, justifiably so, due to scientology but don't worry, no thetins in this book, it is a brilliant novel, an amazing work of fiction.

Also, while we are discussing fiction and not necissarily books, I need to recommend the video game series Fallout. Some very quirky, funny moments, some much darker ones and overall an immersive experience and a true testament to humanities ability to persevere, adapt and never learn from it's mistakes.

As far as books go S.M. Stirling's Dies the fire trillogy is sweet. Apocalypse and Medieval technology combine. Great for dorks!

Sums up his philosophies pretty damned well, I feel.

Just wish I was half as adept at selling my fictional ideals to the rich and aimless. :)

Battlefield Earth isn't deeply philosophical, certainly not in a religious way, it deals more with humanity itself, the ability to survive, the ability to overcome the seemingly impossible (don't want to give away spoilers, but maths).

If anything, it is a testament to why our species has endured as long as it has and conquered the natural world.

I hate scientology, I love Battlefield Earth.

I recently read World War Z and the Zombie Survival Guide, and they're both very good. And Hitchiker's Guide is one of my favorite books ever. I highly recommend all of these (I know they've been mentioned, but I wanted to lend my support). However, none of them really focus on post-apocalyptic life on earth. If you're looking for that kind of thing, you might consider Orson Scott Card's Folk of the Fringe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Folk_of_the_Fringe). Unlike many of the other books mentioned, it's a relatively realistic account of what might happen after an apocalypse that's actually possible (zombies and aliens are fun, but rather unlikely). I remember enjoying it and thinking it was a really interesting take on the future (caveat: I read it years ago, when I was much younger and more foolish, so it's possible I liked it more than it deserved). It's not a book you hear about very often, so I thought I should bring it up.

My wife, being the brains in our family, turned me on to Star Trek, Dune, Lord of the Rings etc etc etc.....I would NEVER have watched or read that without her. I love her! However, I am really a comedy guy at heart. Jim Carrey etc.

Yes I definitely love post-apocalyptic fiction. I`ve played both Fallout 1,2 and 3 and they are all very good. I also like movies like, already mentioned, 28 days later, the road, book of Eli etc...

It`s the chaotic, every man for themselves in a destroyed world atmosphere I like.

Bladerunner is based on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. Both are works in their own right and are sufficiently different where I'd give the movie and the book close marks. I could never make it through The Stand because I think King was particularly long winded in that novel, but many people really like it. Dune is definitely on the top of my list, but is not so much post-apocalypse.
As drummist222 mentioned Orson Scott Card is a fantastic sci-fi writer, I really enjoyed the Ender's Game series and will probably take up his recommendation myself.

I would also check out the cyberpunk genre, Snow Crash, Neuromancer and the like thrive on a darker future though not necessarily a post-apocalyptic one.

Metro 2033
I'm reading book right now actually. I really enjoy reading it.
You should also check out the game available for Xbox 360.

Yes Fallout 3 is great. I have been reading to read mathesons "I am legend," did like the movie heard the book was better, as usual.

I never read battlefield Earth. Scientology? Their might be scientologists out there who would snuff me out! haha

If it is zombie related, i will give it a whirl.

Want to try new vegas.

Bladerunner is great, one of my favorites, and the book, i started reading but didn't finish, it was a friends. But , so far, it was exceptional.

I like Lynch movie adaption of dune.

I generally love post apocalyptic things, even Shadowrun....

But that was a Long time ago....

Forgot two of my classic favorites, King's "The Stand" and Niven and Pournelle's "Lucifer's Hammer".

Back