Bass Cab

614Drums

I was wondering... Can you use a Bass guitar cab as a "pa" for your bass drum.

For instance, if I wanted more power behind me then the 100Watt speakers you see on musiciansfriend could I get a Hartke cab (or any other bass guitar cab) for my triggered bass drum?

I wouldn't recommend it, although it would work, you wouldn't get the greatest results. Do you need it for an actual PA speaker? (Meaning that you would use it to play for crowds at shows). Or do you want it for live monitoring/ practice? I'd recommend getting an active PA speaker cab like this one with a built in amp:
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tapco-TH15A-Thump-15-Powered-Speaker?sku=600299

I would be using it for playing live, nothing too big... 300-500 capacities places with the odd music hall here and there.

So you think that Tapco amp would do the job?

For instance, if I wanted more power behind me then the 100Watt speakers you see on musiciansfriend could I get a Hartke cab (or any other bass guitar cab) for my triggered bass drum?

Running the kick through the bass cab actually works quite well.

If your bass player is game, try a Y cord to your kick mike and check it out. Both through the same amp, great for small stages.

Last edited:
Running the kick through the bass cab actually works quite well.

If your bass player is game, try a Y cord to your kick mike and check it out. Both through the same amp, great for small stages.

You guys are playing tricks on my mind lol, I don't know what to get ahah.
I'm lookin to set up with triggers for the first time (just on my bass) and I don't know what to get.

I will try running the trigger through my friends bass set up first. Lets hope it works.

You guys are playing tricks on my mind lol, I don't know what to get ahah.
I'm lookin to set up with triggers for the first time (just on my bass) and I don't know what to get.

I will try running the trigger through my friends bass set up first. Lets hope it works.

..... min 400-450 watts on the bass head

I would recommend it. After all, a bass cab is set up to pump out bass and that's what you want to do. It's a no brainer.

My ampeg 6x10 would blow your head off if you pumped kicks through it :) It'd be awesome!

Yes, run it through your friend's bass setup. That's a perfect idea.

I would recommend it. After all, a bass cab is set up to pump out bass and that's what you want to do. It's a no brainer.

My ampeg 6x10 would blow your head off if you pumped kicks through it :) It'd be awesome!

Yes, run it through your friend's bass setup. That's a perfect idea.

Sending 2 independent high-energy, low frequency sources to a cab tailor made and tuned for Bass guitar only is going to clip the amp and blow some speakers or drive it into thermal shutdown. I highly advise you against taking this course of action unless your buddy's bass amp is under warranty (even then, technically you'd void it by using the amp in a manner for which it wasn't designed).

Sending 2 independent high-energy, low frequency sources to a cab tailor made and tuned for Bass guitar only is going to clip the amp and blow some speakers or drive it into thermal shutdown.

Bass guitar and kick share the same general freq range.

'Independent high energy' would be from an amplifier.

A line level signal (like from a kick drum mic) is fine for a bass amp. I've used bass amps for kick drum stage monitors from time to time, they work fine, sometimes better than house monitors.

Blending line level signals is done all the time with mixing boards.

Sending 2 independent high-energy, low frequency sources to a cab tailor made and tuned for Bass guitar only is going to clip the amp and blow some speakers or drive it into thermal shutdown. I highly advise you against taking this course of action unless your buddy's bass amp is under warranty (even then, technically you'd void it by using the amp in a manner for which it wasn't designed).

Bass amps and cabs are made precisely to reproduce this sort of thing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. If what you said was true then bass players playing with their thumbs would be blowing out their amps and speakers every day. As long as you don't overdrive the amp into clipping and it has clean headroom you will be fine.

Back