I need an electronic drumkit that is not a crappy budgetkit

marthy

Hallo
Now it has become altercation at the summer cottage. My family thinks that acoustic drums sound too much. A digital kit should be purchased (which I think and hope I do not need to pay). Would obviously not want any budget rubbish. I want it to be close to acoustic drums (touch and response). Good sound in drum module's also important. Midi would be nice but perhaps that exist on all electric drum kits nowadays.

The kits that i have on my mind and that exists in the stores where i live is this kits.

Roland TD-15KV
2 box
Alesis DM10 x kit a bit different price on it but then i will change so that it is mesh heads on that drum kit. Its a different price but could it be in the same league as the other brands?

Yamaha's can be interesting but what they had that costs a bit over 1000 euros felt a bit fake (without mesh head etc) and the next step are between 2500-3000 euros but tips to me are welcome anyway if you know etc.
An alternative is to buy second-hand high end kit, even if it is a little nervous (at least if it is not from a store).
Checked on a Roland that he bought for 1800 euros, he wanted to give me 11% against the new price (warranty, however, had quite recently expired, I noted).

Re: I need a electronic drumkit that is not a crappy budgetkit

That will still cost more than $1k euros, Triggera. As someone who has converted a Roland TD-30 and a 2Box kit, I will say the 2Box is cheaper and easier to work with for the conversion because you can get away with a simpler trigger system. But other than that, you still need to buy a kit, heads, cymbals, and hardware, which that alone will be more than $1k.

Honestly, the Roland TD-15 is a nice kit. Easy to use, great sounds, a pretty capable module with lots of editing, etc. Overall a good intermediate kit. I have never played a 2Box kit, just the module, so I cant comment on the whole kit. The module is a bit of a PITA when you are used to something like a Roland kit. There is hardly any editing that can be done on it, so what you get is basically what you get. You can upload VST's on to it, but you have to hook everything up to your computer, tune the VST sounds on the computer, convert them to a file that the 2Box module can read, then upload them to an SD card where you can play them. If you are not happy with the sounds, you have to start the whole process over. That's the PITA with the module. You have the potential to trigger just about any sound you could ever conceive, but it is all done on the computer, then converted and uploaded. You end up spending lots more time behind the computer than behind the kit.

More and more I think that anything less than $2000 is a "crappy budget kit".
E-drums is not something to get into without a serious mind set, a serious budget and a bunch of time to get to know the ins & outs of your purchase.
And for G sakes RTFM over and over and over.
Tommy_D I think you are 100% correct in your statement about 2box vs most other modules.
I have most of the top vst's SD2, BFD2, BFD3 and Addictive Drums. The only one I can really get to trigger / sound right is AD. I think it is mostly due to lack of time and effort that I want to spend with the others as I really want to spend the time playing on the kit rather than the computer!
2Box sounds promising but the pita part keeps me away for now.

To the OP, I would go with the TD-15 it seems like a great start out kit.
Roland has a great reputation for being quality built so if you find a used kit that works and is in nice shape I would not be concerned too much with warranty being lapsed.
Just my opinion of course!
Good luck.

Thanks for the info guys.
Yeah it seems that the choice is beetwen Roland TD-15kv and 2box. I gues that Yamahas all meash head kits are nice to but thats not so common here in Stockholm perhapps . I think that a physical e-drumkit is most interesting for me (its light, small and portabel).

What is the biggest diffrent beetwen the kits in the 2000 euros range compared to the top notch of the line high end kits?

Roland does make nice stuff. I have a bunch of their edrum gear. Expensive though, especially the mesh pads and cymbals. I think one of the best combos out there is a used TD-20 with some used mesh pads and Yamaha cymbals. Definitely > 1k, though.

You could start with the Roland TD-11ks and upgrade the pads to mesh, then use it to trigger AD2. Then you might add another crash from the AUX on the module and split the rack toms to add a floor tom. Some of my upgrades (as shown) were as-new demo models from my local store, but it all came in at around $2000 for the kit (but then you need headphones and/or monitor, throne, kick pedal, and sticks, plus an up-to-date computer possibly with an audio interface for AD2). But, you're up and running with mesh heads, plus a better snare, and the additional crash and tom for a lot less than the TD-15, although you don't have the PD-85's, the CY-12C, or the VH-11 hi-hat. Still, it's possible to get under the $2000 wire.

. TD-11KS.............. Upgraded TD-11KS...........TD-15KV

Snare: PDX-8................. PD-105 ....................... PDX-100
Hi-hat: CY-5 ................. CY-5 ...................... VH-11
Ride: CY-8 ................ CY-13R ..................... CY-13R
Crash 1: CY-8 ............... CY-8 .................... CY-12C
Crash 2: N/A ............... CY-8 ................... N/A
Tom 1: PD-8A............. PDX-8 ................... PD-85
Tom 2: PD-8A............. PDX-8 .................. PD-85
Tom 3: PD-8A............ PDX-100 .................. PDX-100
Tom 4: N/A ............. PDX-100 .................. N/A
Kick: KD-9 ............ KD-9 .................. KD-9
Total: $900 ............ $2000 .................. $2800

Wow, man great advice. But i gues that my family is going to pay the most part so it seems easy to just buy a kit from start. Its a bit weak that 2box have the kick pedal included but not Roland, right? I think that an extra crash cymbal is important for me. Even more important than 3 toms(but of course 3 toms & 2 crash cymbals is nice). Perhaps i can use one of the tom toms to play the extra cymbal (but thats not really the same i gues).

Anyone knows if its easy to record 2box drumkit in to the computer with midi, for exampel Garageband etc(with software sounds)? I want open hihatt to work in the computer also etc.

As a general rule, buying the components of a kit separately will be more expensive than something sold as a complete kit. And then you usually have to make separate purchases for throne, kick-pedal and headphones.

But you can do very well for around $2,000.

Also as a general rule, not buying a "bundled kit" will get you better quality for just about the same money. In essence, just because 2Box comes bundled with a hi hat stand and bass pedal doesnt mean you are getting a quality hi hat stand and bass pedal. Its crap and is bundled with the kit because they are trying to appeal to the beginner who has nothing and doesnt know what a good hi hat stand and bass pedal is.

Okay
2 diffrent opinions its from u guys. I thinkn i will use my dubble pedal if i dont start in a band and use it there. I thougt that 2box att least was a semi pro(/ really serious amateur) drumkit but of course its important that its great stuff. A thing that is great with the kits that is complete from start is that i can test them in my local musicstore. So i gues that i will do that when i feel that im not ill anymore.

Wii technology on eBay is to be had a great prices. An electronic kit would be costly indeed.

Pots and pans at Kmart are to be had at great prices. An acoustic kit would be costly indeed.

Now that is funny as was the one previous to this.

"I don't want crap". "What is the best kit I can get for under $500" "That includes pedal, throne, hi-hat stand, amplifier and sticks". "And makes me play as good as Neil Peart".
"I must also have at least 3 brand choices". "It must be a new set delivered and set up".
"I don't think I am asking for too much"!
"Oh yeah I have to have a 20 year unconditional warranty against breakage or loss".

"I don't want crap". "What is the best kit I can get for under $500" "That includes pedal, throne, hi-hat stand, amplifier and sticks". "And makes me play as good as Neil Peart".
"I must also have at least 3 brand choices". "It must be a new set delivered and set up".
"Oh yeah I have to have a 20 year unconditional warranty against breakage or loss".

Yeah those are some of my faves as well.
I never cease to be amazed at the level of ignorance (and arrogance) when it comes to e-drums on this forum (surely a Guitar Hero " drumkit " is good enough for all your drumming needs? You"ll only be using it to play video games right)?
Facepalm.....

Well even if we talk about top notch of the line high end, state of the art electric pianos it will still not sound like a real acoustic grand piano etc and when it comes to drums the diffrents is even bigger. So yeah i can face the truth/reallity. But i think that a digital kit in the 2000 range can be a joyfull instrument to own anf use etc. Just like electronic pianos it could sound great even if it do not really sound like the real acoustic version.

Last edited:
If you have the ability to test a 2Box kit next to a Roland kit, by all means do it. Here in the states, 2Box is scarce. Lots of Roland, Yamaha, and Alesis to try out, but no one really carries 2Box in their store.

Well i gues its true that the brand(2box) is not as well known as the other brands but its a Swedish brand. The founder did work in the Clavia company before. Its a high end keybord manufacturer(the red Nord lead etc) and they also had Ddrum as a e-kit before they sold it to the USA company that switch it to acoustic drums. So i think it will exist here in Stockholm Sweden in the 4Sound stores for exampel.

Correct me if im wrong but Alessis is not on the same level as 2box, Roland And Yamahas 2000 euros range kits right?

Correct me if im wrong but Alessis is not on the same level as 2box, Roland And Yamahas 2000 euros range kits right?

You are correct. I was surprised to learn that George Kollias actually uses an Aleseis DM4 to trigger his kicks but as for running a whole e-kit you can't go past the Rolands/ 2Box, etc.

Pots and pans at Kmart are to be had at great prices. An acoustic kit would be costly indeed.

Or a drum pad! Or if you're not a cork sniffer...

And if you look hard enough and have the nerve to pull over and pick up some trash... old 5 gallon buckets on the side of the road are free.

Heck... the OP is looking for something to take to the beach.... to the beach... for how long?

Take a freakin' bongo and keep an eye out for Ginger or MaryAnne

Back