Chris "Daddy" Dave

glynes

Pioneer Member
You can see him in the new Modern Drummer magazine ... very nice article and interview. I had the pleasure of watching him work with Billy Preston recently, and got to chat a bit with him while waiting for BP to sign autographs. He's one of the most laid-back drummers I've seen, real cool, but he threw in a hot lick every now-and-then that gave me the shivers! Had a sweet technique on the high-hats that has sent me back to the practice room to do some serious work!
I'll try to scan a pic from the magazine and add it in.

He played also with Pat Metheny!!!

Must have serious chops so

Bernhard

Attachments

• ChrisDave.jpg
    ChrisDave.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 49,095
Last edited:
Thank you!
That's such a great picture ... exactly how he looked playing for Billy Preston. I was worried about him because he just didn't look like he was having a good time! But when they finished with 'Jumpin' Jack Flash', he got right into it, and was laughing along with everybody. And when I got to talk to him, I discovered he has a great smile, a really positive attitude, and just thought that nobody would be paying much attention to him.
:cool:

He also played with a band called Mint Condition on some of their songs, I am so glad someone else has heard of him and seen him. He is awesome!

I've seen Chris Dave twice with the Meshell Ndgeocello Spirit Music Jamia. He's the most impressive and charismatic drummer I've ever seen, a real groove generator. He mixes jazz/dub/african/r'n'b rythmes in huge jams, and show off some incredible breaks you always think is off-tempo, but it's not, it just penetrates yer mind then yer body and makes you wanna scream AAAAAAAAAAAAAAArrrrGGGG WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?????????? If you can see him once, don't hesitate, it influenced me, changed my vision of drumming and..................frustrated me.
Anyway he's been also playing with Kenny Garrett on Standards of language: Killer album with killing musicians.
He also have a hip-hop band called The foundation.
He's really my favorite seen live. I also realized how the HHX evolution O-Zone crash cymbal could sound so cool when it so wisely used.

Attachments

• chris dave.bmp
    247.2 KB · Views: 44,475
i recently picked up ron blakes cd called sonic tonic... this dude can play the drums!!!! he is not on all the tracks but on the tracks he is on, he tears up!!! keep it going Chris.

I first met Chris as a freshman in 1990 at Howard University. He asked me to help him setup for an 8 timpani solo with the Howard University orchestra. Thanks right… 8. Quite naturally that put a pause in my step. His practice room was across from me and have seen/herd many amazing things he did at that time… down to the audition tape he sent in for Mint Condition. That 8 timpani solo really humbled me as a percussionist. Drummer World you need to actively seek/get/ask for some video footage. Truly and utterly amazing drummer. He makes the top 10 drummers list in my book. Don’t believe me… go take a look. I know he is on the wish list. You guys have a great site.

Keep hope Alive

I just saw Chris Dave with the Jabene Ensemble. Wow!!!!!! an incredible combination of swing, groove, taste and technique. I called my son to tell him about him and he told me he also plays with Me'shell Ndegeocello. This guy is in a class by himself and I'll be on the lookout for any of the groups he plays in. He is truly an amazing musical talent.

Freddie Freeloader said:
i think its about time this man got a page on drummerworld. no pressure bernhard, but please do SOMETHING!

I agree he is one drummer I would love to hear more of. Some guys get too much press that do not deserve it, and others that don't are never heard of.

Yep, I've checked out that youtube piece. It is absolutely sick. Why in the world does Chris not have a profile on this site? He is, without a doubt, one of the freshest drummers out there.

What other albums does Chris Dave play on that people recommend? I just got Kenny Garrett's "Standard of Language". Chris Dave is a monster. Reminds me of Jeff "Tain" Watts and Tony Williams a bit.

Steve

All I can say is incredible!! Yes, I definitely remember Chris from his stint with Mint Condition and also from playing with Gospel artist Kim Burrell and a few others. He is without a doubt one of the most slept-on drummers in the biz today. I had the opportunity of seeing him perform at the Blue Note in NYC a few weeks back with friends & special guest Stokley of Mint Condition. Awesome show! Somebody give this brother front page on Drummers Magazine!!

Back