My yamaha's

konaboy

Pioneer Member
So here's the yamaha kit I've been playing for the past 20+ years

The configuration I played until this past summer 8,10,12,13,14,15,16 toms 22" kick 6.5x14 custom snare.

Original20.jpg

Original030.jpg

Original30.jpg

My current setup the 2up 2 down 10,12,14,16 toms 22" kick, 5x14 DW Custom Maple snare. Dw9000 bass pedal and Dw5000 HH stand.

All cymbals are zildgian
8" and 10 " splashes
16 med thin crash
18 med thin crash
20 med ride
20 Hi China
17 med thin
18 med (not pictured in the new setup)
14" new beat hi hats.

Evans G2 over G1 on the toms, Aquarian SK1 on the kick with an Aquarian regulator reso.

new94.jpg

New93.jpg

New96.jpg

New95.jpg

Follows my philosophy....you can always re-configure a big kit like that. Few, some or lots.

In this day and age I like to read statements like:

"So here's the yamaha kit I've been playing for the past 20+ years"

It reinforces my statements about yamaha and sonor owners. "Buy to keep forever".

The majority of the time I'd read something like:

"So here's the tama/pearl kit I've been playing for the past 20+ weeks"

It's nice to see someone buy a high performance classic, and actually keep and use it!

You seem to have a suspended mic in the floor tom?

BOSE 601 series V?

Last edited:
i agree, buy it, take care of it, use it, enjoy it and play it,

i am a tama guy, starclassics to be exact, i consider the kits to be an investment not the flavor of the day, i would be just as proud if my kits were yamaha, etc, beautifully made kits are to be appreciated and played, gotta love it,

that is a great kit and with all of the setups possible as already mentioned, alot of fun, congrats on a very nice kit that looks as good as any kit purchased today,

Follows my philosophy....you can always re-configure a big kit like that. Few, some or lots.

In this day and age I like to read statements like:

"So here's the yamaha kit I've been playing for the past 20+ years"

It reinforces my statements about yamaha and sonor owners. "Buy to keep forever".

The majority of the time I'd read something like:

It's nice to see someone buy a high performance classic, and actually keep and use it!

BOSE 601 series V?

Actually it's not a suspended mic. It's a special limited run floor tom that Yamaha made, the wire you see inside is connected to a footpedal so you can adjust the tension like a tympani. If you look at the third pic in my original setup and my new setup you can see the "lugs" are not traditional lugs. I'll have to take some pics of it tonight so you can see how it works. I haven't had the pedal hooked up for some time, it's really hard on the heads!

Actually it's not a suspended mic. It's a special limited run floor tom that Yamaha made, the wire you see inside is connected to a footpedal so you can adjust the tension like a tympani. If you look at the third pic in my original setup and my new setup you can see the "lugs" are not traditional lugs. I'll have to take some pics of it tonight so you can see how it works. I haven't had the pedal hooked up for some time, it's really hard on the heads!

That's so cool!!!!!!!!!

BOSE 601 series V?

Hey steady on that's a bit of a sweeping generalisation, I've had my TAMA kit for nearly 60 weeks now! :p

That's a pretty mint kit, all the drums seem very shallow like a hyper drive kit or something.

Hey steady on that's a bit of a sweeping generalisation, I've had my TAMA kit for nearly 60 weeks now! :p

That's a pretty mint kit, all the drums seem very shallow like a hyper drive kit or something.

I can kind of generalize about a lot of pearl/tama drummers. There is a larger number of younger owners than sonor/yamaha has. This is not a reflection on the quality or sound of tama/pearl drums, but among drum companies, they have a faster/higher resale rate than sonor or yamaha. One trip through e-bay, and the used tama/pearl stuff outnumber the rest 5 or 10 to 1. Of course, there are fewer shops around me that sell yamaha and sonor, especially sonor. I even posted a thread that indicated how rare it is you see a used yamaha RC kit...unless it's 10-20 years old.

That's great news for Tama/Pearl fans who want used stuff. In fact, I have seen too many Pearl guys resell perfectly good high end pearl kits that are 5-10 years old.

all i can say: woah! yeah that thing would murder the heads - cool contraption but.

may i ask what type of yammie it is? RC? I used to own one like it but i never knew what it was. and now i wish i never gave it away!

all i can say: woah! yeah that thing would murder the heads - cool contraption but.

may i ask what type of yammie it is? RC? I used to own one like it but i never knew what it was. and now i wish i never gave it away!

I actually e-mailed yamaha about that a few years ago because I was curious. When I got it I was like 12 and all I knew was it was Yamaha and it sounded really good. According to Yamaha these are the predecessors to the RC's.

i've often wondered how much tone that is actually taking away from the drum as it can definitely interrupt the air flow. It's a cool thing but I just put the pedal on for the first time in I can't tell you how long for the pic.

They look exactly like the tour-customs I had back in the late 80's. They were good drums. My question is this: What holds the tension at the current pitch on the floor tom? Is there a ratchet on the pedal like on timpani? thanks...

They look exactly like the tour-customs I had back in the late 80's. They were good drums. My question is this: What holds the tension at the current pitch on the floor tom? Is there a ratchet on the pedal like on timpani? thanks...

No you'd either hold the tension with your foot or pre set the higher pitch you wanted. There is a little piece that swivels over the foot board or into the slot where it looks like a toe stop should be that would hold the pedal.

I actually e-mailed yamaha about that a few years ago because I was curious. When I got it I was like 12 and all I knew was it was Yamaha and it sounded really good. According to Yamaha these are the predecessors to the RC's.

the yamaha mysteries live on!

Back