Soultone Cymbals?

Lengo

I found a YouTube video that features these. The drummer has two crashes, the Soultone Extreme 16" and Extreme 18". These sound sweet! I then searched for said cymbals and found Soultone's site. They have a video and again, these sound sweet!

Unfortunately, I can't find a seller. I've found a couple stores, but not online stores.

Does anybody know about these, and what they sell for? I'm hoping, that since this is a small company, you can buy then on the cheap.

Let me know if you know anything about these.

p.s. The YouTube Video is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o8RRVVJ_Ac

Sounds pretty dang good, eh? You can see his list of equipment by clicking his name in upper right corner.

Soultone is but one of many "smaller" cymbal companies still making cymbals the "old school way", by hand. Located in Turkey. Buzin, Soultone, Masterwork, TRX, Bosphorus, Turkish, fine cymbals. Hard though, to compete, with the big 3. Istanbul Agop has made a fair showing, in the US. Istanbul Mehmet, quite a struggle still, for them. I too, own a Soultone Extreme 16" crash, as well as a Masterwork Legend 16" crash, and Istanbul Mehmet Turk 15" hats and 20" ride. Excellent cymbals all. Check eBay for sellers.

Soultone is but one of many "smaller" cymbal companies still making cymbals the "old school way", by hand.

Soultone isn't making anything. They're private-labeled Masterwork cymbals, complete with the Masterwork stamp. They were originally Buzin Cymbals, which also purported to be a unique cymbal (and was also private label Masterworks with the Masterwork stamp.)

They're also more expensive than the Masterwork pies. I'd seek those out before paying extra for Soultone's ink.

Bermuda

luckly i have the answer for your question (i am an endorser of soultone)
the prices for the cymbals are the same for each line ,exapt the fxo line,
memphis drum shop sells them,prices are

rides
18- $486
19-$522
20 -$558
21-$594
22-$637
24-$679

crashes

13-$307
14-$343
15-$379
16-$415
17-$451
18-$486
19-$522
20-$558

splashes

12-$257
11-$236
10-$214
9-$193
8-$171
7-$164
6-$149

chinas

24-$749
22-$699
21-$651
20-$615
19-$572
18-$537
17-$494
16-$458
15-$415
14-$379
12-$286

the fxo seris ,like the sabian's ozone are more

hats

16-$666 -- oh no!!!
15-$587
14-$515
13-$465
12-$429
10-$386
their is also a sig. line the moffet seris,
(drummer for micheal jackson)
they are also more for example a 22 ride is $764

soul tone cymbals dont have the masterworks ink,they are just made in turkey,just like the meinl byzance seris but the cymbals are designed diffrent ly,go to soultonecymbals.com for more info

soul tone cymbals dont have the masterworks ink

Not the ink... the stamp. Or did Iki get Masterwork to stop putting their stamp on the cymbals they send him? I'll have another look at NAMM and will note if they've changed the procedure.

Bermuda

Thank you, Harry and Cruz! This sheds some light. But then, eeeps! So expensive! Still, what I heard in that video sounds darn good. I'd like hear them in person, but ther is no place locally for me to do this..

Harry! Tell me more your 16" Extreme. Does it cut well? Does it really sound as good as it does in the video? Would you recommend them or not? What's your take on them? Are they worth it?

This is getting a little frustrating. All that's available where I live is Guitar Center, and they don't have a complete selection of anything, save for a complete set of Zildjian K Custom Hybrids. They have no HHX, and only one or two K Custom Darks. Then online at Zildjian.com, Paiste.com, and Sabian.com, the sound samples are inconsistent in volume. How are you suppose to tell what you want? And what you hear on YouTube is inconsistent too, but the video I linked you to in the original post is mic'ed well and to me, it's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, but how can I be sure? Arrrrrgh!

And the price list that Cruzdrum provided is disappointing. Thanks for this, but sheesh! I might as well go with Zildjian Custum K Darks at those prices.

Well one thing I can say for certain, is that these Soultones look good. I like their looks. They have something special in that department.

Sheesh! You can buy a decent shell pack for $750, a decent kit for about $1100 with heads, but cymbals cost you $1250+

Anyway, I'll go back to Suoltone's site and visit Memphis Drum Shop's. After that, I guess I go to Musicians Friend and BUY A DAMN UKULELE! :) I'll end this frustration, and save a bunch of money too!

i belive the prices that i put up were msrp, you could talk to iki,the owner,about endorsment ,i got 70% off on my cymbals,and its a two year contract wich is alot shorter than most i belive

i agree with you on the price of cymbals,gosh i could get a new kit for about the same price as a new set of hats and one or good sized crashes,,the good part about this ndorsment thing is it hasnt gone through 100% yet,becuase im under 18 i have to have my parents sign the contract,they havent yet so i stil get to dream about owning a zildijan custom complex dark ride ii or a custom thin ride i just love how thouse soound,but the 439 price tag is a bit overwhelming

Harry! Tell me more your 16" Extreme. Does it cut well? Does it really sound as good as it does in the video? Would you recommend them or not? What's your take on them? Are they worth it?

Well, first off, I didn't pay $415 for it. No, no, no.....homie don't play that game. I think I pulled that cymbal in for $70. Could have been $50, but I think it was $70. Great cymbal. My Masterworks, I paid $78 for. My Istanbul Mehmet Turk hats ran me $218, and my Istanbul Mehmet Turk ride cost me $162. This comprises my "handmade Trukish" collection/set.​
I highly recommend this cymbal, and all my handmades. not that the "big 3" doesn't turn out great products, but I don't want to have cymbals that sound like 99.9 of everybody else out there. As far as "cut", the music the video wasn't really/didn't need "cut", at least by my definition. I'd say, my cymbal set, as a whole, is a little "darker" than the video. Could be the way the EQ on the video was done. Could be the cymbals themselves.​
When I need "cut", or a more "rock" sound, I play my Paiste red ColorSound 5 cymbal set. Again, not the cymbals the "masses" have choosen to play.​
I'll say this. I'll probably "never" buy another cymbal, unless it's either a "handmade from Turkey", or for my Colorsound collection. Exception would be, it's such a good deal, it's a "no brainer". Example being, I picked up a 17" Zildjian A Custom crash for $50, the other day. Couldn't resist that.​

Well now, first the good news. I sent an email to a drum store thats carrying these. The 16" crash is $155. Now, that's a great price! I goofed and asked about the 18" instead of the 17". The 18" Extreme crash is $180. Another great price! WOOT! The 17" should fall somewhere in this respectable range.

I also went back to Soultone's site and looked hard at them. There are numerous lines --

Customs
Custom Brights
Gospel
Extremes
Vintage
Another (I forget), that are pretty much the same as Ozones.

The customs sound decent, and actually pretty good.

The Custom Brights are way too bright. Too "Weckle" for me.But I definitely like their small splash, an 8" (or was it 6?). These are dark sounding and sweet, not trashy.

The Gospels, erm... what the heck are these? Too weird.

The Extremes sound best to me, but I *think" their ride doesn't cut well. I dunno for sure, because of all the videos they have from endorsers on YouTube, nobody plays this. One person does, but she's mixed it with the customs, and switches between her extreme hats and a custom ride. . Still, the official video on Soultone's site matches the ride with the 15" hats, and that sounds pretty good.

The Vintage also sound really nice, so now I'm in a quandary. These are really dark and really deep, but ya know, I really like the stuff I hear from the 1930's recordings, and these are a good match. I also like Dixieland, and again, these will work nicely! So, m'thinks I'll start with the Extremes then build on them with the Bright splashes and Vintages. But, I need more recordings these vintages.I like the smaller crashes and the splashes, but wanna hear more.

So, hey! These Soultones are pretty darn good! The price is right, that's for sure. I think they're a real find! But hush! Don't tell anybody. I don't want demand rising, pushing up the prices! LOL

Thanks for you guys' input. You've been very helpful. Meet me at the club and I'll buy ya a beer.

Last edited:
I don't know how much help this will be, but I have a little experience with all their different lines…mostly with the ride cymbals, but also with some of the hihats, crashes and special effects (fxo) cymbals.

From my understanding, Soultone cymbals are made in the same "foundry" as the Masterworks cymbals. I've seen a number of them with the Masterworks stamp, but recently they have started coming with a Soultone stamp.

I'm a drum tech and provide cymbals for a number of different drum sets, so I've gotten to try a lot of their different stuff. Every cymbal I've bought from them has a unique voice. The hihats are great for recording and close mic situations as they don't overpower everything else when you open them up. I've bought at least one of each of their different lines of rides. All of them had a somewhat vintage sound, but I don't know if that's fair to say since I've used A Customs most of my life. I love the versatility of the Custom line. I just added a 20" Custom crash to my setup. I also own a 21" Custom Brilliant ride. These compliment my 19" Zildjian A Custom crash very nicely as I haven't fully converted to Soultone.

Blessings.

Too late for the hush, don't tell anyone. I had a full set of Masterwork Jazz series cymbals and I got them for next to nothing brand new from a dealer in Texas. Now the prices on these are the same as most other cymbals and somewhat hard to find. I imagine the Soultone will be next. So hurry and try them out and grab what you can while they are cheap.

I just checked eBay for Soultone and the 16 inch crash is 207.00 The entire group is from Memphis Drum Shop.

Hi Lengo and all others,

I just received a Set of Soultone Cymbals most of them from the Moffet Series:

The story:
I thought about some new cymbals some time ago. Then i saw the Michael Jackson film"this is it" and i heard his drummer Jonathan Moffet playing his signature Soultone Cymbals and they sounded really cool. So i looked it up in the internet. And there again i saw the videos of all Soultone series. For me i found the Moffet series the best and i now i have them and i`m not disappointed.
As i`m from Europe and there is no dealer arround, it took contact with Iki the owner of Soultone cymbals. At last it was no problem. I got the cymbals directly from the factory in turkey. In comparison to e.g. Masterworks cymbals they were much cheaper. For my it doesn`t matter in which factory they are made (Soultone has it`s own stamp now)

The main reason for my to decide for Soultone was the same one as Jonathan Moffet says on his interview on the video: Soultone has it`s own voice. I mean, i don`t won´t to sound like 90% of all drummer.
And there is anoster thing. Soultones offers an idividual personalization. That means they make your name, logo or signature on the cymbals. Thats really cool.

So my rate:
You were two times impressed by the 16" extrem Crash: So wheron do you wait? Buy it

Hi Lengo and all others,

I just received a Set of Soultone Cymbals most of them from the Moffet Series:

The story:
I thought about some new cymbals some time ago. Then i saw the Michael Jackson film"this is it" and i heard his drummer Jonathan Moffet playing his signature Soultone Cymbals and they sounded really cool. So i looked it up in the internet. And there again i saw the videos of all Soultone series. For me i found the Moffet series the best and i now i have them and i`m not disappointed.
As i`m from Europe and there is no dealer arround, it took contact with Iki the owner of Soultone cymbals. At last it was no problem. I got the cymbals directly from the factory in turkey. In comparison to e.g. Masterworks cymbals they were much cheaper. For my it doesn`t matter in which factory they are made (Soultone has it`s own stamp now)

The main reason for my to decide for Soultone was the same one as Jonathan Moffet says on his interview on the video: Soultone has it`s own voice. I mean, i don`t won´t to sound like 90% of all drummer.
And there is anoster thing. Soultones offers an idividual personalization. That means they make your name, logo or signature on the cymbals. Thats really cool.

So my rate:
You were two times impressed by the 16" extrem Crash: So wheron do you wait? Buy it

My homies Antonio Alonso and Juan Carlos Lora are official endorsers. They have nothing but great things to say about the cymbals AND the company...

Papito brought his 15" Extreme Series Hats to a rehearsal once: DEELISHHHH!!!! Dry, cutting, with a beautiful, smooth swish that does not saturate. Wonderful foot chick, incredibly crisp sticking with a great response. Defintely up my alley in a non-rock situation.

Score one more goal for the smaller, turkish-made cymbal companies...

SHHHH! Don't tell anybody. That will drive up demand and drive up prices! :cool:

I'm happy for both of you. It's always good to hear good news when the world is full of bad news. People aren't happy, and there are lots of reasons why, then they don't make themselves happy, and perpetuate the problem by spreading the bad news that makes them sad. .

I only wait because I don't borrow money. I'm gonna pay cash. I'll move on 'em in April or May. I look very forward to it! VERY! But I'm still undecided on the Extremes or the Vintage. I'll probably eventually have both, and also a couple of Custom Brights.

Woot! 'Tis a sunny day for at least two people. I hope that spreads around!

I had a look at NAMM, and they do now have a Soultone stamp (which is almost identical to TRX's stamp... hmmm.) Iki told me that Masterwork no longer supplies their cymbals, or at least not all of them, and that they're developing some new lines. I don't think there's any disagreement that there's not an actual Soultone factory, but at least they're working on their own identity as much as they're able.

There's still some damage to be erased from the Buzin connection... that's gonna take some time.

Bermuda

Back