Parents Broke My Nickelworks Strainer :(

Jazz

I just came back from college for thanksgiving break, and I was going to set up my set and realized the throw off on my snare is busted. It is the nickelworks clear/satin plastic version, and just the handle part is broken. Does anyone know if you can take these things apart -I'd like to try to replace the handle rather than just supergluing it or something.
Here's some pics of the damage:

Attachments

• Photo 28.jpg
    Photo 28.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,262
  • Photo 29.jpg
    Photo 29.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,017
I think they did it when they were moving my gear around- I guess it's a long shot try to fix it. I just don't feel like dishing out $60 right now. I may try to do sloppy job and try to glue it or something...

I just came back from college for thanksgiving break, and I was going to set up my set and realized the throw off on my snare is busted. It is the nickelworks clear/satin plastic version, and just the handle part is broken. Does anyone know if you can take these things apart -I'd like to try to replace the handle rather than just supergluing it or something.
Here's some pics of the damage:

Contact me as I have some options for you.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw

solution?...

trick_strainer_2.jpg

solution?...

trick_strainer_2.jpg

That is the only strainer I will ever use again. Solid metal, smooth and it has intermediate stops.

If I am paying more than $30 for a strainer, there better be no plastic!

I can sympathize with the poster though. Thanks mom and dad for moving/breaking my strainer. Is this some kind of passive aggressive commentary on my playing?

J/K.

Superglue will fix it, but it won't look good. Contact the person above....

solution:

Desert%20Eagle.jpg

just kidding... but that's what I would like to do if anyone hurt my babies heh heh heh

Those have a tendency to jam. You can't go wrong with a Smith and Wesson revolver. And those don't leave shell-casings lying around. That's a tip, kids.

Umm just a thought about the strainer, y dont u try to weld or solder it back together? just ask around and find someone with a welder if u dont have one yourself and join it that way. Just a thought :)

Not likely. It's subjected to quite a bit of stress, lots of leverage and has limited surface area for glue, A gusset would help but you're pretty much screwed with this kind of damage. Hopefully he can replace the lever only.

The "glue" like certain industrial epoxies I use are stronger than that crappy plastic handle.

My favorite solution is to replace the nickle, throw it in the trash and install the trick.

The "glue" like certain industrial epoxies I use are stronger than that crappy plastic handle.

My favorite solution is to replace the nickle, throw it in the trash and install the trick.

Or if you're not a huge fan of the Trick action but still realize that plastic is probably not the best material for a snare strainer, go for the Dunnett R-Class strainer. It's cheaper and better than the Nickel strainer.

Or if you're not a huge fan of the Trick action but still realize that plastic is probably not the best material for a snare strainer, go for the Dunnett R-Class strainer. It's cheaper and better than the Nickel strainer.

No, metal is the best material. The Trick is far superior than either of those. I've built snares with all of them. The other two cannot match the tricks smoothness, intermediate stop, or precision...not even a close contest. The engineering in the trick and features are leaps ahead of the others.

Best to worst: Trick, Dunnett, Nickle.

Paying as much as I did for a nickle with a plastic handle was criminal. It would like paying for DW drums and getting molded plastic rims. No deal.

Does the smoothness of a throw-off really matter that much? I can understand if it's all choppy, but does it need to be like butter?

I'm happy with my Ludwig, it gets the job done.

Is the strainer made out of metal or plastic?

Does the smoothness of a throw-off really matter that much? I can understand if it's all choppy, but does it need to be like butter?

I'm happy with my Ludwig, it gets the job done.

You are 100% correct.
None of these high end strainers are required.

I have thousand of examples with me, and thousands more at home. Recordings done with Ludwig supraphonic, BB, Gretsch, Tama and so on. All have factory throws and all have top notch sound.

I can only imagine the ad hype that went into the nickle throw.

"Hmm.. how do we sell a throw with a cheap plastic lever for the same or more than the superior competition?" (brainstorming session) "Hey I know! We will tell customers that molded plastic sounds superior to real metal! Yeah, that's the ticket! Metal must be singing or choking something in the throw!!! " And thus, people pay the same for a plastic levered throw as a metal throw assuming it gives the attached snare drum some etherial sonic properties. In reality, they are paying an absurd amount of money for a strainer with imported/inferior plastic parts that break easily and don't help the sound.

FWIW: one of the iconic snare drum sounds of all time: Copeland's early Police albums. He used an off-the-rack plain steel tama snare. No special throw. Peart used an old Slingerland radio king. Bonham used...well we all know what he used. ;)

That's my rant. I hate the nickleworks strainer.
Did I mention that I hated the nickleworks plastic-handled strainer? Well, I do. It's one product I have no respect for, especially since it's not inexpensive. YEEECCCKK.

I like the low mass of the Nickel, its relatively low profile and its very durable polycarbonate handle. You'd have to really crank on it to break it. So far, it's worked great for me - very smooth action. I have seen too many snares with bent metal throw offs because people didn't know how to move them. I imagine the Trick can't be bent so good for those who have the Trick.

Back