I've played drums for a while and have never really been
Interested in the technical or theory side of drumming
I'm more of a pick up and play guy. But I've recently decided
That I would like to learn this part as I believe it would make me a
Better drummer. Are there any tips on what I should read, watch or
Research?
Cheers guys.
Sorry about the grammer.
Welcome to the forum, but what part are you wanting to learn? Links?

I'm honestly not to sure at all. That's what I was hoping
For help with. I can pick up stick and can play a beat
And I can play a song. But I would like to learn how to
Do really good fills and just be able to be more dynamic and
Calculated whilst playing instead of banging wildly.
Cheers.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Now let's assume you would give us a few links with drumming videos/songs you'd like to be able to play.
Also let's assume you would get superb advice on this forum like:
- get a teacher
- buy 10 DVDs/books
- practice 5 years

...what would you do? Just kidding but ultimately that would be the way to go.
Are you ready? Because it will take some money - but that's not the most important thing - and dedication/practice/discipline - now THAT'S the crucial factor.

[PS: I edited the thread title to make it clearer. So people can see right away what the thread is about and take a look/respond - if they want to. Next time it would be great if you made your thread titles clearer yourself, you know.]

Right.

I recommend you start with learning basic harmony and rhythm. Learning to read music would be a great first step here. Learn the note values and counting. Time signatures are obviously important, too.

What you mustn't do is ignore harmony and melody theory. Focussing solely on rhythm is a mistake a lot of drummers make and it's just as important to understand how the music itself works independent of the rhythm. Learn your key signatures, chord identifiers and cadences as well as (obviously) how to read pitch on a stave. Learn the differences between basic major and minor keys.

I went through all of this and it made a huge difference to the way I play and listen to music.

Cheers for that. I always knew it would be hard work,
I'm from a little town in Australia and there aren't any great
Teachers so that's why I came here. I'm quite prepared to put the
Hours in. I'm still unsure on what I'm putting them into? Like what
Should I start looking for to practice with??

I have learnt how to read music. So would I look up harmony and rhythm theories on the Internet or?

Last edited by a moderator:
If your able to wade through it until it makes sense most of basic music theory is on wikipedia, but there is no guide through it so you might miss a few things if you aren't careful. Also picking up any melodic instrument is going to make learning music theory much easier. If there really are no teachers in your area you are gonna have a tough time developing your grip and technique, I would post videos of your hands on here and try to get advice on removing any bad habits. And if you want more complicated fills look up the rudiments and the million youtube videos that put the around the drumset.

Cheers for that. I always knew it would be hard work,
I'm from a little town in Australia and there aren't any great
Teachers so that's why I came here. I'm quite prepared to put the
Hours in. I'm still unsure on what I'm putting them into? Like what
Should I start looking for to practice with??

I have learnt how to read music. So would I look up harmony and rhythm theories on the Internet or?

I'm not sure if you can get these in Australia.

In the UK, this is the standard first text:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Steps...=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1357312935&sr=1-3

There's also a second book (Grades 5-8) which is more advanced. Start with the first book - some of it will seem very basic but it's a good step-by-step guide. In the UK, the Classical musicians have a very strict syllabus but the books are available to everyone. They're a little dry but everything is explained very clearly.

Back