The legendary Steve Gadd

Just off the top of my head, some of my favorite Gadd performances can be found on these albums. Gadd may only appear on one or two tunes on some of these records. There are other threads listing his best tracks somewhere in the archives here, I think.

Chick Corea - The Mad Hatter
Chick Corea - The Leprechaun
Chick Corea - Three Quartets
Chick Corea - Friends
Al Di Meola - Elegant Gypsy
Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years
Paul Simon - One Trick Pony
Jim Hall - Concierto
Steely Dan - Aja
Rickie Lee Jones - Rickie Lee Jones
Stanley Clarke - School Days
Stanley Clarke - Journey To Love
Eddie Gomez - Gomez
Ben Sidran - The Cat And The Hat
Hubert Laws - In The Beginning
Chet Baker - She Was Too Good To Me
The Gadd Gang - The Gadd Gang
Steve Gadd & Friends - Live At Voce - Deluxe Edition

Some News about
Steve gadd:

A documentary about Steve gadd is on the run. Called: about Time

New cd: cinque - catch a corner - highly recommended ,,, Steve playinghot StuffIt
....Great Reviews all around....

Best

Tom

I find it strange that this thread hasn't been touched in six months!

Anyway, can you lot recommend a few Gadd albums I need to buy? I'll probably pick up a Paul Simon album or two, I know I already like his stuff.

I'm a major Gadd fan and I'm enjoying these three a lot at the moment:

Art Farmer - Crawl Space (CTI)
Dr John - City Lights (A&M)
Steve Khan - The Blue Man (Columbia)*

* Steve Khan's (www.stevekhan.com) notes on Gadd's incredible drumming on the final section of the track 'An Eye Over Autumn' are great:

"This is truly one of my favorite sections on any of my recordings, and I feel lucky that it happened on 'my record.' It's such a pleasure to watch and listen to a great artist behind the drums. The horn parts had already been written, and Steve had them sketched into his drum part. So, with a drummer like Steve, and there are others (Peter Erskine and Dave Weckl immediately come to mind) who can read, solo, and interpret written music on the fly, it's so exciting to watch all this happening at once. I remember that once the take was done, and we were all gathered in the control room to listen back, Rick Marotta, whom Michael Brecker affectionately calls "the Elvin Jones of Rock,"(because of his loose, and laid-back time feel) was sitting with his head in his hands; and once the last notes had sounded, and the room was quiet, he looked at his dear friend Steve Gadd and said, "I HATE YOU!!!" Which, of course, means the exact opposite!!! It was a great moment and really unforgettable for me."

Hi there! Could you guys explain
what's happening during Steve's solo on 'St. Thomas',Chuck Mangione Quartet,Alive! from 1972? This is
killer one and correct me if I'm wrong but I think I can hear additional percussion at first part of the solo? Tambourine shakin' by one of the members or JUST :) jingle ring on hats? Thanx!

Hi there! Could you guys explain
what's happening during Steve's solo on 'St. Thomas',Chuck Mangione Quartet,Alive! from 1972? This is
killer one and correct me if I'm wrong but I think I can hear additional percussion at first part of the solo? Tambourine shakin' by one of the members or JUST :) jingle ring on hats? Thanx!

I don't know for sure but I've seen Chuck with Steve several times and have seen Chuck play hand percussion a few times. That may or may not be the case here though. If you look at the link I included on #575 of this thread, you can see him using a tambourine on his hi-hat and then removes it part way through his solo.

One thing's for sure - it's a tragedy that this has not been released on CD.

Hi Gadd fans.

Random question (apologies if this is not the right thread).

On Leo Sayer's 1976 Album Endless Flight, there are multiple drummers credited (I don't have the album itself). Included are Steve Gadd, Jeff Porcaro and others.

Does anyone here know if Steve was the drummer on "When I Need You".

I say it was, but have been challenged that it was Jeff.

Thanks all

Regards

H

Hi Gadd fans.

Random question (apologies if this is not the right thread).

On Leo Sayer's 1976 Album Endless Flight, there are multiple drummers credited (I don't have the album itself). Included are Steve Gadd, Jeff Porcaro and others.

Does anyone here know if Steve was the drummer on "When I Need You".

I say it was, but have been challenged that it was Jeff.

Thanks all

Regards

H

I've always thought it was Jeff. Here's a piece on Jeff by Robyn Flans, who wrote for MD and interviewed him for that magazine back in the day. http://www.stevelukather.net/Interview.aspx?id=5

She lists When I Need You as a track Jeff played on.

Back