Danny Carey

I think pretty much everything he does is perfect. Nobody could be in that band and do it better.

Curtis said:
I think pretty much everything he does is perfect. Nobody could be in that band and do it better.
exactly, the question is, do you consider yourself a fine replacement, would you accept? do you think you got what it takes?

Yeah, I think I could do it, but it wouldn't be nearly as good. He plays almost mathematically, like each fill is a logical deduction for which there can be no other solution, kind of like Neil Peart. I'm a much more emotional player, like Keith Moon. Maybe everything isn't as clean, but I put my heart and soul into it. I'm afraid my groove falters before his, as well as my chops, understanding of 4-way independance, and overall speed. Maybe I'll be as good someday, but not now.

Ok, don't kill me here, but is there anyone else who doesn't get Tool?

I dunno, it does nothing for me, but maybe its over my head. Or maybe I have the opposite reaction to it and think the people who are really into just don't have any framework to compare it to?

Its somewhat original, and yes at times complex, I just can't put my finger on what it is I don't like.

Maybe the Modern Drummer 2005 dvd will change my mind, but I've never been overwhelmed by Carey or Tool. Maybe I need to see more (well, considering I've only seen what's on drummerworld).

is danny carey on the MD2005 DVD?!?

the footage from DW does no justice for Carey...It is such a poor example of what he can actualy do on the kit...I've always loved Tool, and the way they structure all their music...It's a breath of fresh air, from all the usual mainstream garbage...They are a very musical, dark, and powerfull band and thats what i like about them...It seems like most of their songs always build up and progress into the giant orgy of sound and fury, and it just hits me in a fantastic way...

FYI--Tool will not be at Modern Drummer Festival 2005...It will be Danny's side project Volto...From what I've heard on Myspace.com, they are gonna friggn rock the house down...All amazing musicians...

To add...There is almost no video you can get of Danny playing On-line or in stores...I have a bootleg from the Lateralus tour (Bakersfeild. CA) with pretty damn good picture and sound...He is nothing short of amazing on the kit live...

Stu_Strib said:
Ok, don't kill me here, but is there anyone else who doesn't get Tool?

Its somewhat original, and yes at times complex, I just can't put my finger on what it is I don't like.

I get it, and I also get why you might not. It's all very samey. They've got a sound of their own, but if you're not into it then... well.. you're probably not going to be. Kind of like Pink Floyd.

As for people being into it not having a framework for understanding other stuff... I don't think so. There's plenty of people with obvious understanding and experience of a whole bunch of other styles who enjoy them. I think it's probably more that what they have to say isn't a message that really resonates with you, which is fairly understandable...

toteman2 said:
To add...There is almost no video you can get of Danny playing On-line or in stores...I have a bootleg from the Lateralus tour (Bakersfeild. CA) with pretty damn good picture and sound...He is nothing short of amazing on the kit live...

Is that bootleg on VHS? or is it on your computer.

also, have you seen his video clips on his website? if anyone wants to see some small additional clips of drumside view of danny playing some tool songs, go here:

http://www.dannycarey.org

then, click on the links in this order: Enter --> Philosophy --> Education --> Cyberclinic

At the end of Danny's solo, when it climaxes to his insane snare/tom/bass fill— is that the Gadd-Triplet fill with added double-bass notes? That's how I've always played it.

Curtis said:
That is so COOL!! The triplets on Forty Six and Two? Jeez, so fast!

Man I have been learning that song since i started playin 8 years ago...but i can proudly say i can drum that song without errors! Tool are an awesome band. Danney an awesome drummer. 46 and 2 is easy compared with crazyness such as Triad or Aenema.

Smoky_McPot said:
Man I have been learning that song since i started playin 8 years ago...but i can proudly say i can drum that song without errors! Tool are an awesome band. Danney an awesome drummer. 46 and 2 is easy compared with crazyness such as Triad or Aenema.

You reckon? I can play Aenema pretty cleanly - or rather, could last time I was asked to by a band two years ago - but 46&2 would take a fair bit of work to get down. Triad is pretty hard with that syncopated opposing time thing on the kick drum during the breakdown.

finnhiggins said:
- but 46&2 would take a fair bit of work to get down. Triad is pretty hard with that syncopated opposing time thing on the kick drum during the breakdown.

46 & 2 isnt really hard, the hardest part to master is the solo, but once you know where he is going with the drums its so easy to play. Man ok thinkin about it i think the hardest song i can think of right now is... Eulogy

Smoky_McPot said:
46 & 2 isnt really hard, the hardest part to master is the solo, but once you know where he is going with the drums its so easy to play. Man ok thinkin about it i think the hardest song i can think of right now is... Eulogy

Heh, again, the hardest bit of that is the 3/16 over 4/4 thing and that's actually not that tricky if you learn it slow. Lateralus is arguably harder, the opposing time bit in the middle of that needs four sequential 16ths on the bass drum while opening and closing the hats - and the verse is pretty damn weird too with all those roaming toms. The Grudge isn't exactly easy either.

I found videos of danny carey on his website today. his smothness on schism blows me away! everything that man plays is incredable! www.dannycarey.com then enter and go to philosophy and go to education then go to cyberclinic and there is 3 videos to watch. The videos are short but very good!

Hmmmm....still not seeing it. I would hope there is something better than those 3 videos.

There is. He looks and sounds like a big hairy basher on those vids. Listen to the CDs, the detail in what he plays is pretty astounding and he's shockingly tight. Alternatively, wait for something decently recorded to show up.

any suggested tracks? I worked through schism when it came out in modern drummer, and yeah , that ending is pretty much impossible.

I'm currently transcribing a song called Stink Fist I know nothing about. I like the groove, and it seems easier than schism.

Stu_Strib said:
any suggested tracks? I worked through schism when it came out in modern drummer, and yeah , that ending is pretty much impossible.

I'm currently transcribing a song called Stink Fist I know nothing about. I like the groove, and it seems easier than schism.

OK, track suggestions for cool drumming:

Obvious difficult/flashy stuff: Solo on "46&2", fast endings to "Schism" and "The Grudge" (from about 8:00 onwards), ludicrous big-kit 7/4 stuff on "Ticks and Leeches", fills on "Sober".

Things I like more on a musical or tricksy front, mostly for phrasing or one of his regular tricks where he leaves the snare out of an intense section and then brings it back in to emphasise the release:

* "jimmy" from Aenima for nice control of space and odd times, gets more fun as things progress, particularly from around 3:00 onwards.

* "Pushit" has a whole lot to recommend it, although it's extremely long. The percussive section in the middle is an interesting use of drum electronics. The opening 12/8 groove has some nice hi-hat turnaround stuff. The instrumental break starting around 6:25 has some cute phrasing. The ending has some cool fills too, particularly from around 9:00 or so right up to the end.

* There's a lot of neat drum stuff on "The Patient" from Lateralus, which I think is otherwise a fairly average song. All the hi-hat stuff during the opening two minutes is pretty cute. And I really like the phrasing from around 5:30 through 6:15 or so.

* "Reflection" is nice for a big-kit groove, and also the whole Tim Alexander-style "build it until it explodes" approach. Sounds a lot like "Moving Pictures" era Rush with those samples though.. And when he finally breaks groove at around 7:25 it's very effective.

Back