DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:46 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Tapes by Ringo Starr's first band found

Well I hope this isn't old news here already:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19395832
Old 09-05-2012, 02:02 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Default Re: Tapes by Ringo Starr's first band found

News to me. I would love to hear them. They must sound primitive
Old 09-05-2012, 02:30 AM
Platinum Member

How unfortunate.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
How unfortunate.

Completely disargee.I can't get enough of Ringo.Great find!!Factually,one of the most emulated and influential drummers of all time.

Steve B
Old 09-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
Completely disargee.I can't get enough of Ringo.Great find!!Factually,one of the most emulated and influential drummers of all time.

Steve B
Is it popcorn time?

I'll have some salty one actually, they go well with a beer.

Does Ringo like popcorn?
Old 09-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Steve B
I agree. I think the majority of people still only have the image of moptop Ringo shaking his head while playing, and mugging for the camera. If they'd only dig beneath the surface they'd have a different opinion.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Is it popcorn time?

I'll have some salty one actually, they go well with a beer.

Does Ringo like popcorn?
Lol Henri.Had some the other day with salt and a little butter.

I had to put that in there.I've got plenty of ammo saved up for a good informed Ringo argument...er sorry discussion and exchange of ideas.:)

Steve B
Old 09-06-2012, 02:43 AM
Renegade

Would very much like to hear that!

Though I understand it wasn't really Ringo in Rory Storm and the Hurricanes, it was actually Bernard Purdie. In fact, I have it on good authority that Ringo does not even exist - it was just BP in a skinny suit and mask all along. And still is today. The whole thing was just a Royal Scam.

An outlandish claim, you say? Have you ever seen a picture or video of them together? Mmmm? *spooky music*
Old 09-06-2012, 06:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Steve B
Nobody believes that's really true, not even you. But this doesn't get discussed much.

Plus, I was speaking about how their manager screwed Rory Storm and the Hurricanes over by not promoting them because he didn't want any competition for The Beatles. Woulda coulda shoulda made a great band.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
How unfortunate.

Hi Death.

I completely understand that you have no time for Ringo, that is up to you. Fine.What is confusing is why you would want to post on a thread informing drummers that there is old footage of him available??

Personally If I have no interest in someone or something I ignore the thread. If it was a "Ringo, do you like him or not" thread then fair enough.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:38 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Martin, Ringo called and asked you to please lay off him, he can't help who he is. He's doing the best he can. (Not Pete Best)
Old 09-06-2012, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Personally If I have no interest in someone or something I ignore the thread. If it was a "Ringo, do you like him or not" thread then fair enough.
+1 Can't we all just get along? :)
Old 09-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Nobody believes that's really true, not even you. But this doesn't get discussed much.

Plus, I was speaking about how their manager screwed Rory Storm and the Hurricanes over by not promoting them because he didn't want any competition for The Beatles. Woulda coulda shoulda made a great band.
"Not even me"?I 'm curious as to just what that means.Please explain that one.

And hate the idea as you do,it really is a fact.I would even say that most drummers on the planet,especially pros,reguard Ringos playing as a base line,in composing their own drum parts.Many have said so in interviews...even Vinny,hence the acronym WWRD.Our own Bermuda has said so on occasion.

Why would The Hurricanes manager screw the band over by not promoting them?That would just result in him picking his own pocket,which makes no sense at all.Maybe a pay off from Brian Epstein?Another rock & roll conspiracy theory.?Priceless.:)

Steve B
Old 09-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Martin, Ringo called and asked you to please lay off him, he can't help who he is. He's doing the best he can. (Not Pete Best)
Ha! Yeah, I got that message, but I told Ringo that I still was going to be the only drummer in the world that didn't cite him as an influence. He was crushed.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
But I do have an interest. It's not my fault that most people on this board consider my opinions on Ringo heresy and anathema. Outside of this board, my opinions are perfectly mainstream.

I have said before that I think Ringo is a great role model and entertainer, showing how it's possible for someone to be successful and influential and contribute to culture and make a place in history and not destroy themselves with a mindless drug overdose, which happens quite a bit. But that just enrages people even more when I say that.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:56 AM
Renegade

Quote:
But I do have an interest. It's not my fault that most people on this board consider my opinions on Ringo heresy and anathema.
No no Martin, we're all fine with your opinion. It's the nagging in every single thread with Ringo in it that creeps us out :P

The relentlessness is reminding me of a certain former forum member and his posting about Neal Peart, just in reverse. It seemed you've ramped up the anti Ringo agenda a lately, which suggests you've been a bit bored with the topics of late, yes?

You know, Ringo was never a major influence for me. Always loved The Beatles's music but I was not very influenced by him. My drumming was more shaped by the famous hard rock and studio drummers of the 70s and 80s. I only started admiring simpler drummers like Ringo and Charlie in middle age.

As for the thread - Rory Storm without Ringo is on YT, which gives us a taste of what these unreleased tapes will be like ... what do you get when Beatles and Animals mate? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYAL-eBfBno
Old 09-07-2012, 04:22 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
But I do have an interest. It's not my fault that most people on this board consider my opinions on Ringo heresy and anathema. Outside of this board, my opinions are perfectly mainstream.

I have said before that I think Ringo is a great role model and entertainer, showing how it's possible for someone to be successful and influential and contribute to culture and make a place in history and not destroy themselves with a mindless drug overdose, which happens quite a bit. But that just enrages people even more when I say that.
Then why is it unfortunate that more tapes were found of someone who is a great role model, being successful, and influential, and contributing to culture, and making a place in history? That just doesn't make any sense.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
No no Martin, we're all fine with your opinion. It's the nagging in every single thread with Ringo in it that creeps us out :P

The relentlessness is reminding me of a certain former forum member and his posting about Neal Peart, just in reverse. It seemed you've ramped up the anti Ringo agenda a lately, which suggests you've been a bit bored with the topics of late, yes?

You know, Ringo was never a major influence for me. Always loved The Beatles's music but I was not very influenced by him. My drumming was more shaped by the famous hard rock and studio drummers of the 70s and 80s. I only started admiring simpler drummers like Ringo and Charlie in middle age.

As for the thread - Rory Storm without Ringo is on YT, which gives us a taste of what these unreleased tapes will be like ... what do you get when Beatles and Animals mate? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYAL-eBfBno
Thank you, I appreciate your interest. I guess it doesn't take much, just a couple of words like "How unfortunate" to set off a ruckus. Let's do a test, just to see if I can contain myself. This will be very difficult for me but I think I can do it. At least for a while anyway.

"I pledge not to comment on the next new thread about Ringo, or any existing virgin Ringo thread, unless I am in complete agreement with the consensus of everyone posting there."

Or, at least, everyone I can see. I have my settings to ignore the immediate poster above me and I rather like that I am oblivious to anything he writes.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:05 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Thank you, I appreciate your interest. I guess it doesn't take much, just a couple of words like "How unfortunate" to set off a ruckus.
lol - you're such a sheet-stirrer. You tossed in the hook with zero provocation, got a bite and Voila! we have another of these merry-go-rounds. Sure he's overrated - he's rated so high no one could live up to it, but I still really enjoy his sound, feel and choices.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:06 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Wow. Just wow. Great point Mr. Mayor. Too bad it wasn't seen by the intended. Preferring to be ignorant is...wow. Just wow.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you, I appreciate your interest. I guess it doesn't take much, just a couple of words like "How unfortunate" to set off a ruckus. Let's do a test, just to see if I can contain myself. This will be very difficult for me but I think I can do it. At least for a while anyway.

"I pledge not to comment on the next new thread about Ringo, or any existing virgin Ringo thread, unless I am in complete agreement with the consensus of everyone posting there."

Or, at least, everyone I can see. I have my settings to ignore the immediate poster above me and I rather like that I am oblivious to anything he writes.
Not even I believe, that this won't ultimately, be a test that you'll catastrophically fail.:)

Steve B
Old 09-07-2012, 06:08 PM

I'm heavily influenced by DMC, at least when it comes to Ringo.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:

How does he know I posted anything. LOL, such dribble from an adult. If it is Apple or Ringo, he is a hater, and pretends to be in the majority when he is definitely in the minority. I don't care that he ignores me but he must be psychic to know I posted when I am on ignore. LOLLOLOLOLO. Does anyone expect any thing more form him lately. He must be off of his meds.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:03 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon e rotten View Post
I was drinking coffee when I read this - but not a drop on the keyboard! My self control is improving.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
2:48, Benny Greb deciding between Buddy Rich (!) and Ringo Starr: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9OcW...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
2:48, Benny Greb deciding between Buddy Rich (!) and Ringo Starr: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9OcW...ature=youtu.be
... and he picked...you'll have to watch the vid, hahaha... but I agree with him, and considering Benny's talent a the kit, he's another one who praise such an influential drummer :)

@Grea - You're an early bird :) ...in which hand did you hold you coffee? ...Oh, and I 'm heavily influenced by Pollyanna when it comes to Ringo :)
Old 09-07-2012, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

Love it.Just another vastly talented drummer,who's a Ringo fan.It's quite a long list .

Actually,I'm heavily influenced by Joe Morello,when it comes to Ringo.Another fan.:)

Thanks for posting that Henri.

Steve B
Old 09-08-2012, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Wow. Just wow. Great point Mr. Mayor. Too bad it wasn't seen by the intended. Preferring to be ignorant is...wow. Just wow.
After he directed at me some creepy comments about genitals, I decided to block him and stop reading his PMs to me. If more people blocked each other, things would work much better I think! If he chooses to read my posts, he does so at his own peril.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon e rotten View Post
HA! Just about fwthpd out my gum!
Old 09-08-2012, 12:04 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Exactly. We should all block each other and that way none of us would ever be criticized. Genius.

1. I really don't know what your problem is, and really don't care. I will just ignore you until you can get this Apple obsession out of your head. I used to like your posts on different subjects but recently you have become a bore.

2. That's a cop out. You take every thread I comment on lately and turn it into an Apple issue. That was nothing but an attack on me. Where is your IQ score? Afraid to embarrass yourself.
To be a joke there must be some sort of reference to what is going on. Me being below in IQ, false and has nothing to do with this thread and neither does Apple. That was not an attempt at a joke but a blatant attack on me and I don't appreciate it. But likeI said I will just ignore you until you get over your issues. Nothing but negative threads anymore and I don't get it.

3. It's not important. I'll just move on.

the above three PM's are the only three I have ever sent DMC and I dont see any mention of genitals. BUt again I will move on and let him sulk like a 12 year old

Last edited by GruntersDad; 09-10-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilrules View Post
Which is exactly how the regulars on this site defend Ringo, if someone has anything bad to say about him. Maybe it is just human nature to defend people that really had a strong effluence on your drumming life. Then I usually got called all sorts of bad names, then got banned for no reason. Strange how that worked! :) Glass houses people! Quick Duncan, run and tell the mods!
My god that's funny......not in the least the bold part.

Talk about predictability Sticksy. Welcome back mate.....and no doubt good-bye at the same time.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:51 AM
Platinum Member

Goldring is just bored because nobody has posted on his little forum for three weeks. I think I could answer every thread on there with 'Cool Story, Bro.' anyhow. It's really quite tragic.

Glenn - you got banned for a very good reason. You can't play nicely with other people and leave no room for dissenting opinions. I'm not opposed to other opinions contrary to my own, not at all - I welcome them. My issue with you is that you don't know how to respect opposing viewpoints and you seem to have the social skills of a three year-old that hasn't been taught to share. The vast majority of people on here are quite capable of a reasonable discussion (exceptions noted) on most topics and tend to stay out of those in which they can't have a reasoned discussion. I'm not sure I've ever seen that from you.

That and the constant attention-seeking and need for validation and I see you as the drumming equivalent of that annoying kid in the classroom that nobody really wants to talk to.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:51 AM
Anthony Amodeo

DMC

I love your consistency

dont listen to these folks...(not like you would)......I love reading your thoughts on Ringo
.....and the defensive replies they induce

never fails to bring out emotions

even though I do not share your opinion of Richard.......I love the way you so passive aggressively knock the man by complimenting him

such message board perfection

keep it up Conga
Old 09-08-2012, 03:15 AM
Renegade

Oh dear, discord arrives at this land of rhythmic concordance.

Let us tap into the healing powers of music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGS8re8cIVI
Old 09-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Oh dear, discord arrives at this land of rhythmic concordance.

Let us tap into the healing powers of music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGS8re8cIVI
Geez Grea, are you sure that this song will heal the discord in this thread? ...I'm not sure, I despise it, it represent everything I dislike in top 40 music, even it was a big hit at the time...

...this one is from the same artist, still top 40 stuff, but at least Vinnie Colaiuta makes it bearable, the drum outro is nice, and the title works in the context of this thread http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBbAxXSpiaA

... but really, why the discord... it's so easy... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4p8qxGbpOk ...the Starr at the end say it himself :))
Old 09-08-2012, 02:17 PM
wy yung

NOTE: How to lose credibility 101.

Make uneducated negative comments about a drummer who has sold in excess of 100,000.000 units.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:29 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Ringo. The topic that never stops giving.

So are these long lost tapes any good?
Old 09-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Geez Grea, are you sure that this song will heal the discord in this thread? ...I'm not sure, I despise it, it represent everything I dislike in top 40 music, even it was a big hit at the time...

...this one is from the same artist, still top 40 stuff, but at least Vinnie Colaiuta makes it bearable, the drum outro is nice, and the title works in the context of this thread http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBbAxXSpiaA

... but really, why the discord... it's so easy... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4p8qxGbpOk ...the Starr at the end say it himself :))
NOW it's popcorn time.....I have some set aside for you with a little salt and a pint Henri.:)

Steve B
Old 09-10-2012, 12:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post
NOTE: How to lose credibility 101.

Make uneducated negative comments about a drummer who has sold in excess of 100,000.000 units.
So, making uneducated positive comments of course builds credibility?

Pffft. Outside of this forum, my opinions reflect the popular opinion of the drummer whose name I will not mention, but who has sold 100,000,000 units. Credibility is so relative.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:36 AM
Platinum Member

Not necessarily, but harping on about it certainly doesn't build credibility.