DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:57 AM

Default How many other drummers are blessed enough to write all of the music for their band?

Think about it, how convenient is that situation? I can determine the genre, the style, the complexity, the syncopation, it's wonderful. But as a drummer, I avoid the main problem most drummers have with there band. And that is,

I never have anyone else telling me how to play drums :D
Isn't that superb?
So how any other drummers are blessed to be in this situation?

(also, this Pat Mastelotto-Fan, in case anyone begins to wonder where he went)
Old 12-24-2011, 10:09 AM

Default Re: How many other drummers are blessed enough to write all of the music for their band?

I suppose that could be either a blessing or a curse, depending on how you look at it.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:59 PM

Default Re: How many other drummers are blessed enough to write all of the music for their band?

Sounds like the main attraction is that nobody can tell you what to play anymore,which was apparently an issue you didnt care for,and replaced it with doing the same exact thing to everyone else.
If its a power trip youre after,and where you believe you should be placed on the totem,then run for local office.
A Dictator approach to music does nothing more than create a undesirable environment for the rest of the band.There is nothing wrong with being the primary writer,and wanting to keep the song in your head intact.The problem is that you then take way any musical creativity from the rest of the band and are limited to what YOU create.May as well just pick up some guitars and mics and do it all yourself then.Record it and then bring in musicians cool with just playing that material.Its not unheard of,its just incredibly rare.

Even the Beatles had a producer.A voice outside of their four,that could hear and imagine what they couldnt.

One note can be all it takes to turn a filler song into something timeless.Invite the rest of the band to help you find it.You do the writing,then you bring the meat and potatoes,but thats all it will ever be if you dont allow them to add the spices.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bog_72 View Post
Sounds like the main attraction is that nobody can tell you what to play anymore,which was apparently an issue you didnt care for,and replaced it with doing the same exact thing to everyone else.
If its a power trip youre after,and where you believe you should be placed on the totem,then run for local office.
A Dictator approach to music does nothing more than create a undesirable environment for the rest of the band.There is nothing wrong with being the primary writer,and wanting to keep the song in your head intact.The problem is that you then take way any musical creativity from the rest of the band and are limited to what YOU create.May as well just pick up some guitars and mics and do it all yourself then.Record it and then bring in musicians cool with just playing that material.Its not unheard of,its just incredibly rare.

Even the Beatles had a producer.A voice outside of their four,that could hear and imagine what they couldnt.

One note can be all it takes to turn a filler song into something timeless.Invite the rest of the band to help you find it.You do the writing,then you bring the meat and potatoes,but thats all it will ever be if you dont allow them to add the spices.
I'm not even going to read all of that because it sounds like your just being judgmental.
Let me clarify some things
1. My band wants me to write all of the music
2.Even the songs that they write they usually ask me to help write it with them, mmk?
They are very happy with the situation.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Silver Member

i would have to agree with bog. even when the others tell me to make the choices and tell them what to do i don't like it. i got designated the leader not by my choice, i want each person to have their own say and their own voice and let everything evolve on it's own. granted i could write every part out for them, teach them how to play it but then it ends with my limited vision of what the song should be. when each person ads their own voice and taste to it, it evolves into something all on it's own and something totally different then each person could have done on their own. i feed off others, and i like it when they feed off me, i like when they say hey! do that again! i can do this! and i can say thats cool! what if i do this too? and then some of that? i wouldn't see it as a blessing, at least not for me.

the total being greater then the sum of it's parts, so to say...

edit: i should add that i would be just as displeased if somebody kept telling me how to do everything and how to play, seems that's how a lot of drummers get treated which i never agreed with. i never looked at it as 'MY band', it was always 'OUR band'
Old 12-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

While I can read a drum transcription, which I use for practice purposes, I cannot sight read well enough, if a had to sight read in a gig situation, the show would be over by the time I'm ready to play the first two bars of the first song. haha :-))

And while I made the fact very obvious that I couldn't write everybody's musical parts for a given musical project within a band situation, I've got some feelings in regards to the OP question.

There is a difference as to which situation this could be applied. If it's the drummer's own musical project for a session's recording, as an exemple, as the leader it would be feasible to do such a thing as writting everybody's part as the drummer/leader might have a very precise idea of what he/she would like to hear from the musicians involved in the process, and it can be more easy with such an approach to achieve the best results.

Now if it's in a "normal" band situation, what has worked for all the bands I played within my 30 years at the kit, it's a democratic approach to the arrangements of the song(s) to an unanimous accord from all musicians inolved within the band(s), whoever wrote the song in the first place.

On the other hand, if you're playing for an artist that's write is own material, he/she has, in my opinion, the role of the leader, and could therefore, write all the musicians parts for the back up band who'll support the artist.

It's not a question of dictatorship within a band, it's what work best in the interest of all musicians involved, and in your case Pat Mastelotto-Fan who has become Lunar Satellite Brian, if it's working in your band, so be it. :-))