DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 10-17-2011, 06:23 PM

Default Dunnett Snares

Hey guys, I just have a quick question on dunnett snares (mainly the metal ones).

Dunnett snares are rolled/welded, correct?
From the sound clips I have heard, dunnett steel and titanium snares sound great, with wide tuning capabilities, but why the hefty price tag. I sort of understand the price of the titanium because of the material cost. but the steel? I know there are cast steel snares for cheaper (pearl reference steel). can someone justify the price for me?

thanks,
Andy

*EDIT* i just found that the pearl is around 600 which is not much different from the dunnett. but still cast vs rolled/welded
Old 10-18-2011, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Dunnett Snares

no dunnett users on this forum?
Old 10-18-2011, 04:27 PM

I've never heard one in person, but I understand that they are very nice sounding drums. The high price that you are paying is mainly because of the Dunnett name.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

I've played a few of Ron's snares, and they sound superb. As for the price, I think they offer value for money. It's a hand built piece with great attention to detail. I met up with Ron this weekend at the LDS, & looked over some of his latest snare offerings. Some very sexy finishes and lovely build quality. As for how the steel shells are constructed, he's a member here, so shoot him a PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:06 PM
Silver Member

I've heard Stanton Moore rip on one of Ron's steel snares. I don't usually care for steel snares but if I was told I'd need one I can't think of another manufacturer I'd purchase a snare from other than Dunnett. It sounded cutting but musical. Of course Ron picked a good guy to show it off. :)

I have played the Titanium snare (6.5 x 14?) and thought it sounded wonderful. To my ears a cross between bronze and brass.

Well made from what I can tell.

Jim

Jim Martin Music
Old 10-19-2011, 01:57 AM
Silver Member

The steel shells are welded. I have a raw finish steel shell and the seem is visible. When you mean rolled, are you talking about the edges, like a Supra? The shells are super-thin and straight, not rolled over, like most metal shells...

IMO the price for Dunnett Steel snares is reasonable. I like the sound, and after 5 or so years, mine is holding up well. I think the price reflects that it's a hand made drum, with quality components, including that Dunnett-designed throw-off and hyper-vent.

I like the steel shell over ti - I think the Dunnett formula with the more common material works better. The steel Dunnetts are really versatile, and have a pretty smooth sound with lots of body - sensitivy-wise the steel is nice and crisp. It's still a steel drum, not woody sounding, but not harsh by any means. I often come back to mine...
Old 10-19-2011, 02:25 AM

Hey guys

Thanks for the replies. I hope you guys no I am not putting down the dunnett company at all. It is all making sense for me-- i totally forgot their hardware and thin+ hand made shells. (i have one of his throw offs and it is great)
Old 10-19-2011, 04:49 AM
Silver Member

No problem, I know what you meant. I got mine years ago, direct - prices have gone up since then, so it's a decision to make.

The Dunnetts don't work for everyone - but like I said, the build quality is good, and if you like the sound, then they're worth it. Best to take one for spin first...
Old 10-19-2011, 05:12 AM

Another happy Dunnett player here. I have two, a steel and a titanium and they are both superb. And IMO, the pricing is quite reasonable given the ridiculously high quality of his products.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:57 AM

Another Dunnett owner here, I have a Ti Raw and it is outstanding. I also find the price reasonable for the high quality, but that's my view. I also believe everyone should play one Once if not more...
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2011, 04:49 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I have a small assortment of Dunnett snares, and they all sound terrific. My very first was a 6.5" ti back in 2001, and I later got a phosphor bronze, stainless, walnut, cocobolo, cast iron, and I have a few more I think.

They are a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for. There are certainly more expensive snares that don't compare, IMO.

Bermuda
Old 10-21-2011, 04:18 AM

It's unique in construction, hand made using the best materials and it's signed. It has a big phat sound, it's sensitive, musical, versatile and will last forever with proper handling. How much do you think it should cost?
Old 10-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
It's unique in construction, hand made using the best materials and it's signed. It has a big phat sound, it's sensitive, musical, versatile and will last forever with proper handling. How much do you think it should cost?
Great response!--------------