DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:25 PM

Default What should a band expect in a drummer

So I just started a band with a few friends and seeing as I have never been in a band before I was hoping drummerworld could give me some insight...

Thanks
Old 04-13-2011, 11:00 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: What should a band expect in a drummer

First you need to define what kind of band it will be, then you can decide what kind of drumming it will need. You said you never were in a band before, but it sounds like you've been drumming, is that right?

General guidelines about being a drummer. If this is going to be a hardcore metal band, most of this won't apply.

Using myself as an example when I first started, I really didn't understand the role of a drummer. The drummer has a definite role in the band. The drummer can change the feel of the band singlehandedly more than any other player, it's a big responsibility. A great beat trumps a great fill everyday of the week. Try and make your drumming feel good. Forget. Trying. To. Impress. It works exactly the opposite of what you might think.

I played along to records so I never developed my own sense of time. What a rude awakening I had when I first turned the metronome on, I was convinced it was wrong lol. It did teach me what steady time sounded like after I accepted the fact that I sucked. Steady meter has to be learned for most people.
Also, as a drummer, people rely on you to hold it all together, you are not free to play whatever comes into your head. You have a specific job to do. Only after the requirements of the job are met are you free to create. (Carter Beauford, Dave Matthews drummer, comes to mind)
Learn to read music, learn your music theory, play another instrument, keep your mouth shut when you play, and don't embarass the family.

There's a start for ya...
Old 04-13-2011, 11:04 PM

What he said. Where in Florida are you?
Old 04-13-2011, 11:20 PM

Agree with everything that Larry said........keep things steady- first and foremost! Know when it's appropriate to shift the gears in the music and don't worry about fancy fills or tricky stuff.
I think Gadd once said something to the effect of, "I go into a song trying to play as little drums as possible". Very good advice!
Old 04-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

1) Show up to rehearsal on time

2) Keep good time.

3) Know the material

4) Play what is appropriate for the musical style of the band
Old 04-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

Do what has already been said, plus

1. Be on time. (already mentionned)
2. Be easy to get along with.
3. Make sure your drums will make through a gig.
4. Be reliable.

These are more "band" things than drummer things. Good luck.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:59 PM
Platinum Member

<snarky comment>Well, for most bands these days, they probably just expect you to ignore every aspect of drumming except your blazing double-kick blast beat ability.</snarky comment>
Old 04-14-2011, 12:03 AM

KEEP TIME. That is the most important part, if you ask me. Keep that blasted time.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:04 AM

I've no firsthand band experience, so my advice is more life in general. Be on time has already been mentioned several times, and to expand on that a bit.

To me, "on time" doesn't mean that if band practice starts at 6:00, you're there before 6:00. To me it means that at 6:00 you're not only there, but you're set up, plugged in, tuned up, tuned in, turned on, whatever, but you're ready to go at 6:00 with a B-B-POP insert kick ass music here.

...plus all that other stuff.

Good luck with the band.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:34 AM
Platinum Member

To add to the sound advice already given......I've always thought it extremely important to lock in tight with the bass player. He is your ultimate right hand man. The rhythm section is the foundation of any band. If you and the bass guitarist aren't on the same page, it sounds like a god awful mess, no matter how tight everyone else may be.......pure and simple. Play solid and tight and give him something to lock into.

Check all the best bands out there......solid and unwaivering rhythm sections, all of 'em.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:47 AM
Silver Member

I think some of the people here are overthinking it. Do you share common likes and dislikes with the other members? Do you have a member (or members, if you are lucky) who likes to write? Don't agonize over what you want to be. It's your first band, so just let it form naturally. Jam stuff out, learn a few covers, and figure out how you want to approach your originals.

I totally echo the punctuality advice. Out of respect to everyone else in the project be ready to play when it's time to.

Finally, I'd find some cheap way to record. There are so many small, inexpensive products like the ZOOM recorders out today and you guys may be able to pool your funds and buy one. I learn and develop best in bands when our songs and playing are recorded and analyzed.

Oh yeah. Have fun. If it's not fun why do it?
Old 04-14-2011, 12:53 AM

Thanks for the advice guys I really appreciate it.

The band I' am going to be playing for is of Post Hardcore style. I' m not new to drums but I' am new to playing with other people.

Quote:
Well, for most bands these days, they probably just expect you to ignore every aspect of drumming except your blazing double-kick blast beat ability.
Literally the first thing I was asked was if I had a double pedal and if I was "fast"

Oh and I' am from St. Petersburg near Tampa
Old 04-14-2011, 01:07 AM
Platinum Member

1) A polite, respectful, honest, open-minded individual.
2) Someone who can play the appropriate drum parts for the musical style.
3) Someone who can keep solid time.
4) Someone who owns his own gear (Might seem obvious but you'd be surprised)

I once read somewhere that a band member should strive to be "the guy you can always depend on". The article was for drummers but it recommended carrying general things like earplugs, extra cables, guitar picks, tools, extension lines, tuners ect. Be that guy that always seems to be one step ahead. I once played with a bassist like that, asides from being a monster player, he was super diligent and always carried spares, saved the guitar players countless times, to this day I describe him as a perfect band member and I recommend him any chance I get.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:09 AM
Silver Member

Great question!

1- Know the song(s)!!! Period! Know WTF is being played so you know where to go.
2- Play simple beats----(you can add fills and riffs later)
3- ASK the SONGWRITER or "leader"......"What do you want from me/what do you hear the drummer playing on this song?".
4- Check your ego at the door.
5- Relax and have fun!

Zildjian--Mapex Saturn--Remo--DW 5000--Iron Cobra--Regal Tip AVH
Old 04-14-2011, 03:30 AM

thanks for all your suggestion guy I will defiantly keep it in mind at practice
Old 04-14-2011, 07:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Crespo View Post
Literally the first thing I was asked was if I had a double pedal and if I was "fast"
Max, It sounds like the band has already told you what they expect :)

Yeah, good timing is huge. Also listening. As much as possible, listen to the whole band, not just the drums.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member

Nail the stops, starts and transitions. It makes all the difference between a band being tight, or sloppy.

Audiences don't typically notice a missed note or drum fill, but it all the instruments don't stop and start together - that gets noticed.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Hellwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
General guidelines about being a drummer. If this is going to be a hardcore metal band, most of this won't apply.
Go on...

Quote:
The drummer has a definite role in the band. The drummer can change the feel of the band singlehandedly more than any other player, it's a big responsibility. A great beat trumps a great fill everyday of the week. Try and make your drumming feel good.
A lot of hardcore metal has feel, a lot of hardcore metal has emotion.

Quote:
Also, as a drummer, people rely on you to hold it all together, you are not free to play whatever comes into your head.
A lot of hardcore metal drummers are the backbone to the song.
Some, such as Lamb Of God's Chris Adler, play the song with drums, rather than just the beat.

Quote:
Learn to read music, learn your music theory, play another instrument,
A lot of hardcore metal artists play other instruments; guitar, piano, bass, etc.

not having a go, just don't know why people rag on metal all the time.

What a band require from a drummer[/b]
#1. Someone to keep the beat [i]no matter what genre of music youplay[i]

Everything else is secondary to #1
Old 04-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellwyck View Post
not having a go, just don't know why people rag on metal all the time.
Because it's like going fishing when you're guaranteed to catch a trawler load.........without any bait. :-)
Old 04-14-2011, 04:57 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I'm not ragging on metal. I do feel that they have a different set of guidelines than the majority of other music. There is much more freedom for a drummer in metal IMO.
You don't have to stay out of the way nearly as much. Quite the opposite, hence the disclaimer. You guys are game changers, what can I say?
Old 04-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBadd View Post
Great question!

1- Know the song(s)!!! Period! Know WTF is being played so you know where to go.
2- Play simple beats----(you can add fills and riffs later)
3- ASK the SONGWRITER or "leader"......"What do you want from me/what do you hear the drummer playing on this song?".
4- Check your ego at the door.
5- Relax and have fun!
It's good to have a reminder of this point 1 is SO key it's not true !!!!!

I know when I really know a song because you instantly feel it when one of the other members starts trying to speed up and yet you have the confidence to just sit and hold it back.
The bass player in one of the bands I'm in is oblivious and keeps rushing everything, is always a millisecond ahead of everyone else and speeds up with every transition from verse to chorus and chorus back to verse - I think he's trying to put too much in and as a result he knows it needs to be played fast and feels under pressure before he starts each run thinking I'm not going to get all this in in time and ends up playing every single run too fast and ahead of time as a result.
The other night I just sat at the correct tempo despite him trying to rush ahead and at the end of 2 songs he turned round and said that's the best tempo we've ever played those at. It was such hard work it was almost actually unpleasant to play to as I felt I was constantly fighting with his playing but it did hold it together and I guess I did what the drummer's essentially there for - To Keep Time !!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:42 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witterings View Post
The bass player in one of the bands I'm in is oblivious and keeps rushing everything, is always a millisecond ahead of everyone else and speeds up with every transition from verse to chorus and chorus back to verse - I think he's trying to put too much in and as a result he knows it needs to be played fast and feels under pressure before he starts each run thinking I'm not going to get all this in in time and ends up playing every single run too fast and ahead of time as a result.
The other night I just sat at the correct tempo despite him trying to rush ahead and at the end of 2 songs he turned round and said that's the best tempo we've ever played those at. It was such hard work it was almost actually unpleasant to play to as I felt I was constantly fighting with his playing but it did hold it together and I guess I did what the drummer's essentially there for - To Keep Time !!!!
That is an uncomfortable feeling. I know a guy who used to play like an 8th note ahead. I finally had to say something to him. He's much better now. It's a listening thing. He's in his own head and that's it. Meanwhile he's working your nerves. Luckily he was a nice guy and took the advice to heart.