DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 05-07-2009, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi

Do you know who will be the supporting band in your upcoming Porcupine Tree gig in Helsinki, Finland? Thanks.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:01 AM

Hey Gavin,

well first of all, just to let you that you have a fan in Sarajevo :)

Now, I have one question - if you could be so kind to tell me which snare drums did you use on these three songs (on their studio albums respectively):

1. The Start of Something Beautiful
2. Fear of a Blank Planet
3. Nil Recurring

Looking forward to next PT album!

Thanks
Old 05-08-2009, 02:39 AM

Hi Gavin,

Have you ever considered to use different heads on the toms? In studio too.I have thought this because sometimes i have little problem,like a very different sustain, for example...thank you!
P.S. I have listen the OSI album,and in "Terminal" your performance is fantastic!!!!! Very musical,expressive and fascinating,you're the usual genius..;)
Old 05-09-2009, 02:08 AM

Hey Gavin,

The drumming on Blood is amazing. One of the biggest standouts in the album for me was the time changes (or polyrythms?) about 2 minutes into False Start. I was wondering how that drum part came to be, from the fill to where it later speeds up. Jamming? Pre-concieved concepts? And what was it like playing in a much harder, more metal band than Porcupine Tree?

Can't wait to see you in Toronto this September, it'll be one of the best birthdays I could ask for!
Old 05-10-2009, 01:04 AM

Hey Gavin,

i have 2 questions for you.

1. Can you watch yourself playing? Like for reasons of tech. improvement or boredom? ;-)
2. I guess you've been to a lot of very different sounding studios, so i'd like to know what you think how big is the effect on your drumsound and for your playing ( dynamics? ).

Thank you very much!

B.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:48 AM
Gold Member

Hey Gavin, recently I've noticed there are days I don't feel I sound tight at all, and others I feel I sound way better, has this happened to you in the past? or even still happens? how do you cope with it? because it's been really annoying not to be able to really perform, and because of no apparent reason at all, the days seem randomly picked!
Thanks a lot.

Fox.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:36 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Muck

We heard Porcupine Tree will be on tour in Germany in late 2009. Do you know when the complete schedule is ready?

I don't know when the complete schedule is ready - the first place that any announcements are made is www.porcupinetree.com

Hi jez-

Do you know who will be the supporting band in your upcoming Porcupine Tree gig in Helsinki, Finland?

Yes we do have a support band - but I don't think it has been announced yet. Check our website above for the latest info.

Hi Goran Lizdek

Now, I have one question - if you could be so kind to tell me which snare drums did you use on these three songs (on their studio albums respectively):
1. The Start of Something Beautiful
2. Fear of a Blank Planet
3. Nil Recurring

On all of these songs it would be my old 1982 Yamaha RC 9000 14x5 - but as I've said before it's not all about the drum itself - there are many other factors that you're hearing as well. This is just a drum that I know very well and I'm very comfortable playing.

Hi daniele

Have you ever considered to use different heads on the toms? In studio too.

I've been using Remo coated Emperors on the toms since 1995. I haven't felt the need to change them as I'm very happy with the sound (live and in the studio).

Hi AndrewL

The drumming on Blood is amazing. One of the biggest standouts in the album for me was the time changes (or polyrythms?) about 2 minutes into False Start. I was wondering how that drum part came to be, from the fill to where it later speeds up. Jamming? Pre-concieved concepts? And what was it like playing in a much harder, more metal band than Porcupine Tree?

Thanks. I think I remember Jim asking me to do something 'creative' over that guitar riff - and I had an idea to play that polyrhythm. I worked it out so that 2/3 of the way through it seamlessly turned into a straight 4/4 beat. There's no speeding up - that's just part of the illusion - it's all in the same 4/4 tempo from start to end. It was good fun to play harder stuff - but I've never played it live so I don't know how strenuous that would be.

Hi Trains'

1. Can you watch yourself playing? Like for reasons of tech. improvement or boredom?

I don't quite understand your question - do you mean: 'can I bear to watch myself playing?' or 'do I have the facility to watch myself playing'?

2. I guess you've been to a lot of very different sounding studios, so i'd like to know what you think how big is the effect on your drumsound and for your playing ( dynamics? ).

The sound of the room is VERY important - it would effect the way that I play for sure. Some rooms can make you feel inspired - and others make it feel like a real struggle.

Hi Fox622003

Hey Gavin, recently I've noticed there are days I don't feel I sound tight at all, and others I feel I sound way better, has this happened to you in the past? or even still happens? how do you cope with it?

To play consistently from gig to gig is one of the hardest things to do - because some days you really don't feel like playing - sometimes you don't sleep well - or eat well - or you have flu - or food poisoning - or the sound in the room is very different to what you like - or it's too hot - or the lights are annoying you - or someone in the front row is smoking a massive joint...there's a million reasons why you might not feel good (and by the way I've had all those things and more on nearly every tour I've done) - but you have to remember that the folks who came to see you play - are not aware of that - so you must strive to put those things out of your mind and really concentrate on the songs.

cheers

Gavin
Old 05-10-2009, 07:55 PM

Hey,

Sorry "bear" is the right word.. i ment if you sometimes watch your own dvds or setup a camera while playing live .

Greetings
Old 05-11-2009, 02:20 AM

Hi Gavin,

I've had a long time interest in syncopation and rhythmic illusions in general, and I've spent some time studying your books and the work of other drummers like Tomas Haake. I was wondering what do you think of bands like Meshuggah, that take concepts like syncopation to such extremes?

Also, could you take a quick listen to a short syncopated piece I've written for one of my projects and tell me what you think of it? It's straight 4/4 but I try to make it interesting, I improvised the whole part. It was recorded on my electric kit which ran midi through Toontrack's Drumkit From Hell (Though for some reason this clip export has a few blips);

http://members.upc.ie/rachel.whelan/project.mp3
Old 05-11-2009, 02:30 AM

Hi Gavin,

Sorry,i don't have write well. I intended: What do you think (in your experience) of the idea to use different head on every tom? For example if i use pinstripe on the small tom and emperor on the floor tom in the same drumset for to attempt improved the "sound homogeneity"? I don't have tried again..

Last edited by daniele; 05-11-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:18 PM

hi gavin,

what do you do, if the audience is clapping the pulse but speeds it up? do go along with it a little or do you strictly try to keep your tempo steady?
Old 05-13-2009, 05:52 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Trains'

Sorry "bear" is the right word.. i ment if you sometimes watch your own dvds or setup a camera while playing live .

Yes it can be quite educational to see yourself playing - I don't love watching myself play (because I usually make too many bad faces).

Hi mp3guy

I've had a long time interest in syncopation and rhythmic illusions in general, and I've spent some time studying your books and the work of other drummers like Tomas Haake. I was wondering what do you think of bands like Meshuggah, that take concepts like syncopation to such extremes?

I love Meshuggah - and I love their rhythmic approach - it's some of the most interesting rhythmic designing I've ever heard.

Hi daniele

Sorry,i don't have write well. I intended: What do you think (in your experience) of the idea to use different head on every tom? For example if i use pinstripe on the small tom and emperor on the floor tom in the same drumset for to attempt improved the "sound homogeneity"?

I don't think I would try different heads on different toms if you're attempting to get a nice balanced tone from one to another. I have played on rented drumsets that have had that and to my ears it didn't make sense.

Hi Gunnarsen

what do you do, if the audience is clapping the pulse but speeds it up? do go along with it a little or do you strictly try to keep your tempo steady?

That is a tough situation and one that I've been in many times. For some reason Finland has it the worst - and I don't know why. Maybe they're just excited - but to have a whole audience speed up whilst you fight against them is very hard.

cheers
Gavin
Old 05-14-2009, 10:38 AM

Hi Gavin,

Love your drumming! , and it is so great that you find time to write on this forum, it is one of my favorite threads:)

Recently I decided to buy your booklet :
"Rhythm Illusions"

Yesterday I read it for the first time, and I have a question.
In your booklet you say, that rhythm illusions are about making small changes to our main beat (which means, that the drummer don't need to do much ) in order to create a complicated rhythm illusion.

But when I see the exercises, I see that in many cases to play "the illusion" (the B mode, which as far as I understand it, should be what the listener feel ) is much more easy then to create the illusion :) (the A mode) , then what is the idea?
Am I missing something here??
Old 05-14-2009, 11:22 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Overg,

you ONLY play the A Status. The B Status is what it will sound like to the listener.

cheers
Gavin
Old 05-14-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi Overg,

you ONLY play the A Status. The B Status is what it will sound like to the listener.

cheers
Gavin
yes, this one I understand.

What I am saying is that playing B (in most cases ..) is much more easy then to play A, so the question is , why to play A in the first place? if I can just play B and get the same effect.

(I understand from the booklet, that you only play A, and you create a very complicated rhythmic illusion that sound LIKE B , but in many cases the B is much more easy to play.)

Or I am missing something here ?

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin,

can you tell me, what in ear system steve wilson uses and which radio station for it?

Edit:
By the way: Who sets up the new click for a new song live?

Thanks very much
David
Old 05-14-2009, 06:38 PM

Hey Gavin,

As I've followed your playing for a while, I noticed that you never really use grooves with both hands playing sixteenth notes on the hi-hat (except for a few little parts where you might play it with both hands for a roll or something). Are you just indisposed to playing like that (and if so, why?), or did you just never try playing like that?

On a side note: I LOVE your playing on Paolo Gianolio's new album, it's incredible! So tasteful, as always.

Last edited by Joe P; 05-14-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:53 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Overg

What I am saying is that playing B (in most cases ..) is much more easy then to play A, so the question is , why to play A in the first place? if I can just play B and get the same effect.

I'm afraid to tell you that you are completely missing the point. Can you see that the B Status is not the same as the A Status - and therefore how could you hope to achieve the same effect?

(I understand from the booklet, that you only play A, and you create a very complicated rhythmic illusion that sound LIKE B , but in many cases the B is much more easy to play.)

I don't know how to explain better than it is in the book already. The B Status is only there to illustrate how the illusion should sound.

Hi Kalma

Who sets up the new click for a new song live?

We have an operator.

Hi Joe P

As I've followed your playing for a while, I noticed that you never really use grooves with both hands playing sixteenth notes on the hi-hat (except for a few little parts where you might play it with both hands for a roll or something). Are you just indisposed to playing like that (and if so, why?), or did you just never try playing like that?

Jeff Porcaro explains it very well in his instructional video: it's just because it can sound smoother played by one hand (only on tempi up to about 98bpm - after that it becomes too hard and you'd have to switch to two hands).

cheers
Gavin
Old 05-15-2009, 05:47 AM

Hi everybody, hi Gavin! nice to meet you ( on internet )

I'm "super-ultra" new here... ( this is my first post ), i was reading some questions and let me say that people here are very curious, pretty nice!

also, i was listening your album "Drop" ( i don't have Circles yet... is really hard to get one from here... Peru ) ... I heard the song "for lack of" and I was fascinated by it. the completed recording is simply great! i love it.

: How did you manage the situation to compose that kind of songs?
i mean... ric with his elegant extended range bass and you in the drums.... a kind of improvisation????

anyway. Good luck everybody

Pedro

pd: I am embarrassed 'cause my grammar is terrible...I need to improve
by the way.... i like this photo ... http://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1p8...JZDtNygFCqx2KA

Last edited by pedro_; 05-15-2009 at 05:52 AM. Reason: incomplete
Old 05-15-2009, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overg View Post
yes, this one I understand.

Or I am missing something here ?

Thanks!
B is always an "easy" and recognizable groove, that's why the listener will most likely fall into that. But it will be a wrong pulse! You're placing the notes of the easy groove in an unusual way, and although the listener recognizes the pattern, it leads to a wrong tempo and pulse, the quarter note he hears isn't the actual one.
Of course you can - as a player - hear the same thing too, but you mustn't be tricked into the fake time signature by your own playing.
I hope maybe that clears it up a bit...? Otherwise you should Gavin's book aside, take up an easier one and go back to Gavin's in some time ;).
Old 05-15-2009, 02:09 PM

Searched this thread, but couldn't find it. Anyone has a transcription of Sound of Muzak?
Old 05-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member

there you go .... *20 characters....*
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Muzak.pdf (29.9 KB, 430 views)
Old 05-15-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
B is always an "easy" and recognizable groove, that's why the listener will most likely fall into that. But it will be a wrong pulse! You're placing the notes of the easy groove in an unusual way, and although the listener recognizes the pattern, it leads to a wrong tempo and pulse, the quarter note he hears isn't the actual one.
Of course you can - as a player - hear the same thing too, but you mustn't be tricked into the fake time signature by your own playing.
I hope maybe that clears it up a bit...? Otherwise you should Gavin's book aside, take up an easier one and go back to Gavin's in some time ;).
THANKS YOU!
now it is crystal clear.

I was afraid to bother Gavin again :) ( it seems that he didn't understand the root of my prob.. and we were going around in circle, can;t blame him though he probably too busy to dwell on this :) )
Old 05-16-2009, 10:35 AM

Cheers Matthias for digging it out. Stored for later!
Old 05-16-2009, 12:13 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi pedro_

also, i was listening your album "Drop" ( i don't have Circles yet... is really hard to get one from here... Peru ) ... I heard the song "for lack of" and I was fascinated by it. the completed recording is simply great! i love it.

Thanks - it is available here http://www.burningshed.com/store/gavinharrison/
or iTunes too.

: How did you manage the situation to compose that kind of songs?
i mean... ric with his elegant extended range bass and you in the drums.... a kind of improvisation????

Some of the songs actually started with the drum rhythm other times it was a bass or guitar idea and I figured out a drum rhythm that I would like to go with those. I suppose they all began with some kind of improvisation - but that was on my own. I don't know exactly how Ric generates his ideas but I imagine it's a similar method to myself of picking up an instrument and just keep playing until something you like comes out. I guess that's when you intellectually edit your own ideas - applying your own personal style and taste.

When I'm just jamming on the drums I'm quite aware of what I've played before - and what I think are cliche ideas - and so I try to invite unusual things into my playing. I love it if I play something that doesn't sound like me.

cheers
Gavin
Old 05-17-2009, 04:17 PM

Hi Gav!

Just registered on here so thought I would send you a message. As you can guess by my name im left handed but play right handed. Is that unusual? I chose to play right when I started 12 years ago, only as I didnt want to be a pain in the backside at gigs. My left is my strong side and my right is ok but not up to scratch. Any excercises I can do to balance both sides out?

Oh n one last question for now, my double pedal attachment rod for my iron cobras has play in it, Even tho I use it sparingly in music like you. A new one is £80! Can I get a cheaper one? Money is a lil non exsistent atm...

Cheers for now,

You are an inspiration - Chaz

www.youtube.com/dreamopeth

Enjoy the sick musak!
Old 05-18-2009, 12:08 AM

Hey Gavin, I have been an avid fan of yout playing for years, all the PT stuff and I think I have watched just about every video of you on youtube. Especially Slippin' Away which is perhaps my favourite piece of yours.
Out of all the questions I could possibly ask, I have been dying to know how you made your custom splashes, like how you cut the old cymbals down and things like that? I am quite interested in the idea and would like to make my own but I would like a bit of help first!
Thanks for the years of contribution to my playing.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:05 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi leftyrightplayer

As you can guess by my name im left handed but play right handed. Is that unusual? I chose to play right when I started 12 years ago, only as I didnt want to be a pain in the backside at gigs. My left is my strong side and my right is ok but not up to scratch. Any excercises I can do to balance both sides out?

It's not that unusual. Do you play left lead? I think that's quite an advantage for a lefty to play on a right kit (as Simon Phillips/Billy Cobham do).

Oh n one last question for now, my double pedal attachment rod for my iron cobras has play in it, Even tho I use it sparingly in music like you. A new one is £80! Can I get a cheaper one? Money is a lil non exsistent atm...

I have no idea.

Hi smemz

Out of all the questions I could possibly ask, I have been dying to know how you made your custom splashes, like how you cut the old cymbals down and things like that?

have a look at this post from earlier in this thread...
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...&postcount=507

...but I must warn you about the dangers of doing this. In fact I showed this method to an engineer friend of mine - and he freaked out and told me it was very dangerous - so I have stopped doing it. I found a local blacksmith who has cut down cymbals for me - it's obviously more expensive - but definitely worth it.

cheers
Gavin
Old 05-18-2009, 02:54 PM

Hey Gavin,

I want to buy me a Sonor SQ². Do you think, that that set is good for playing
Jazz, Funk, but also Progressive Rock or Metal ??

best regards
C.L. - Drum

PS: You are the best!! ;-)

Last edited by C.L. - Drum; 05-18-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
...but I must warn you about the dangers of doing this. In fact I showed this method to an engineer friend of mine - and he freaked out and told me it was very dangerous - so I have stopped doing it. I found a local blacksmith who has cut down cymbals for me - it's obviously more expensive - but definitely worth it.
Did he mention why it was dangerous? I recently replaced my whole cymbal lineup so I was planning on cutting down all my old ones into little chimes. Was it perhaps all the little shards of metal that would probably fly off once you smoothed the edges down against the emory cloth?

I was going to follow your method described in that thread but my electrician friend suggested using a bench grinder to smooth down the edges instead of attaching them to a drill and running them on emory cloth.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Gold Member

A lot more shards of metal will come off with a bench grinder, and unless you're extremely careful, you're possibly going to heavily damage the cymbal :-/ I can see how it can take way less time than using sand paper, but the result of sand paper is worth it, besides, it's a lot more difficult to get a perfect shape with the bench grinder.
I'd still recommend, as Gavin suggested, turning to an expert who will have both the tools and the expertise to do it not only better, but also safer.
Hope that helps!

Fox.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:33 PM

We've got the right tools at work. I tried it with a metal bit for a jigsaw and used that (after drilling a hole near the bell). Finish off on the grinder and sand the edges off. Obviously use eye protection when using drills and grinding machines. The second one I just gave it to a mate who's dad was an engineer, came back nicely cut and cleaned up!
Old 05-20-2009, 02:42 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi C.L. - Drum

I want to buy me a Sonor SQ². Do you think, that that set is good for playing
Jazz, Funk, but also Progressive Rock or Metal ??

Absolutely - there are very versatile drums.

Hi NeuroAxis

Did he mention why it was dangerous? I recently replaced my whole cymbal lineup so I was planning on cutting down all my old ones into little chimes. Was it perhaps all the little shards of metal that would probably fly off once you smoothed the edges down against the emory cloth?

To have the cymbal attached to a hand held drill on a make shift spindle is dangerous. If it became loose and flew off it would be going at incredible speed - enough to take your head off. I would recommend that you find a blacksmith - it will also take out all the hard work of cutting and sanding and he'll do a much more accurate job too.

cheers
Gavin
Old 05-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
When I'm just jamming on the drums I'm quite aware of what I've played before - and what I think are cliche ideas - and so I try to invite unusual things into my playing. I love it if I play something that doesn't sound like me.

cheers
Gavin
I'm glad you and I share the same sentiments :)
Old 05-20-2009, 09:28 PM

Hello Gavin,

I wanted to know what you think of these drums = http://drummerworld.com/forums/showt...ght=arcs+drums
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMQ5f16sd2M

My dad made them and I want to know what the master thinks of it ;)

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2009, 04:04 AM

Those are purrrty. Is your dad looking for endorsees? :-)
Old 05-21-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuroAxis View Post
Those are purrrty. Is your dad looking for endorsees? :-)
Thanks, I just want to know what Gavin thinks of these drums, get a pro's opinion.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:07 PM
Gold Member

Hey Gavin, I'm really new at home recording, so I'm pretty much clueless, but would you recommend getting a really good sound card (one with 8+ inputs) and connecting the mics directly to the inputs? or getting a say, decent sound card and a good mixer, regulate from there, and have all the mics in just one track in the PC?
Thanks in advance, hope I'm not *that* clueless as to my question making little sense :P.

Fox.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:39 AM

Hi All! First i would like to say that the fact that one of the worlds most creative and tastfull and talented Drummers, from one of the coolest bands on the earth takes his pesonal time to log on and answer peoples questions and gives expert advise is absolutly Insane, and im thankful for artists like this, that share valuable information so others can learn and hopfully become better musicians or better song writers or better people or whatever. What Gavin offers here is so much more then just musical advice, its inspiration and also very kind of him to do so. Im not a drummer but find his playing style and sound incredible!
Anyway here are my 3 questions:

1. My whole band and I ( sound tech, and stage people also ) Purchased tickets to see your show at The Moore Theatre, Tuesday September 15, 2009 in Seattle Wa, Why are you guys playing the Moore and not The Paramount? i think last time you were here it was the Paramount? And will you guys be supporting a new studio CD for this tour?

2. If you know or remember, On the Arriving somewhere live DVD recoding in Chicago, Were you using only one mic on the kick drum (sm91?) or 2 mics, i read your Faq and i think it says you use 2 in the studio but only one live, the kick sound on the live DVD is a perfect kick sound to me. And do you still only use one mic in the kick for live today or 2 mics?

3. If you know or rememer What kind of vocal mics are Steven and John using on the Arriving somewhere live DVD?
Thanks for your time, and we are looking foward to your show here in Seattle this summer!
Peace!
Tommy
Old 05-22-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:

[...] When I'm just jamming on the drums I'm quite aware of what I've played before - and what I think are cliche ideas - and so I try to invite unusual things into my playing. I love it if I play something that doesn't sound like me.

cheers
Gavin
hello there, (again) Gavin.
wow, that is really great.

let me tell you something about me... i don't really have got a drumset at home... well really nowhere... (i should buy one... shouldn't i?)... i don't know if my method is stupid but it's useful to me.... when i am with friends... i try to create a rhythm with my mouth... and my hands... really economic!. then.. when i go to the studio ... i do the same thing i did before with my mouth.. but now on the drums...

anyway... i will buy my drumset.... and your new album.... too

good luck gavin.
Pedro.

Last edited by pedro_; 05-22-2009 at 06:43 AM. Reason: incomplete