DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:12 AM

Default new drummer, best place to start?

hey basically ive always wanted to play drums i took some lessons in school but there was no real point taking them too far because i couldnt have a kit at home:( now i have my own place one of the first things ive bought is a drum kit :)
ive had to go for an electronic kit (alesis dm5 pro) as my nieghbours are abit fussy.... they can leave their baby cry all night for several hours but loud noises during the day is frowned upon? hmmmm
anyway
for the last few years all ive been able to play is rock band and guitar hero thats about as close to drums as ive gotten since leaving school and finishing my drum lessons.
i know the basics but obviously theres loads to learn still. as ive not long moved house and with a baby on the way lessons are kinda out of the question as most round here are 30 an hour +
so whats the best place to start? can anybody give tips on practice routines etc, is it worth learning to read sheet music? or best to learn by ear etc etc.
any help is greatly apprieciated. thanks alot in advance.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:26 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: new drummer, best place to start?

Start with this book, A drum pad, and a snare drum. Yes, reading music is a good Idea. Its hard to use music books without reading.
http://www.amazon.com/Stick-Control-.../dp/B000O81RLE

Heres another site also. Master the rudiments on the snare before moving them to the kit. http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments.php

Become familiar with different grips, Traditional, Matched, and French.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 03-08-2010 at 05:01 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Big_Philly

Scout your local craigslist for cheap teachers. I don't know about where you're from, but here in Enschede there's this guy, a student, who teaches to make a few extra bucks. He will teach at the pupil's home, for about half of what official music schools charge.
(Yep, I am talking about myself here).
Of course, quality in teaching is not guaranteed if you take such an option, so you'll need to be critical about how he challenges you.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Silver Member

HEy,

look around on gumtree (we don't have craiglist in the uk so we use this) and look for a teacher. Even for a few lessons just to get you started on the basics and making sure you have proper technique.

Obviously the more lessons you have the better but as a teacher I understand that peoples circumstances may dictate how many lessons they can get and also how many they want.

If someone wants to come for 1,2,10,50 lessons then thats OK with me. It is my job to help you to the best of my abilities.

I would recommend getting stick control (its really cheap) but also groove essentials by Tommy Igoe.

Good thing about it is that it gives you playalongs so you can get jamming.

Other than that have fun and enjoy the journey.

Dave

Dave Major
Professional Drummer
www.dave-major.com
Old 03-08-2010, 11:24 AM

You should post where you are located, maybe someone on the forum would be willing to get you going face to face.

PS I take no responsibility for you ending up in a soundproof room with a psycho mind!
;-)
Old 03-08-2010, 04:40 PM

Like you, I probably won't be able to get an instructor anytime soon so I'm self teaching although 40+ yrs ago I had a few lessons. I don't know how to read music yet but the first 3 pages in "Stck Control" you don't need to read music...self explanatory. There's enough on the first 3 pages to keep you busy for months and maybe a lifetime to perfect. Worth it's weight in gold...get it!
Old 03-08-2010, 05:06 PM

thanks for the replies guys, at the min teaching is out of the question so ill get the books etc that have been mentioned here. cant wait to finally have my own kit lol been wanting to play drums since i was about 9 (im now 23....) never had the oppertunity sadley.
also can you guys give me the name of a few songs that would be good to start with? when i played guitar i would have a practice routine and do that for an hour or 2 then play/learn a few simple songs this helped me alot and in no time i was playing stuff like maiden and the likes, so im hoping the same sort of thing will happen with drums.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:49 AM
Silver Member

I know you said it's out for now, but to start off right, and light years ahead, please consider taking some lessons. One lesson will save you hours of mistake-making. A lesson even just once a month even would do wonders for you.